Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant questions

Options
  • 06-08-2011 8:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭

I have a tenant who signed up a contract for 12 months back in Nov 2010, I have a feeling he may try to leave soon, can he give notice and leave before the 12 months as agreed? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

What does the lease say? If it is a fixed term lease stating 12 months, then he is obligated for the 12 months and you could persue him in court for the reminder of the rent, UNLESS he provides a follow-on tenant to take over the rest of the lease.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

silja wrote: »
    What does the lease say? If it is a fixed term lease stating 12 months, then he is obligated for the 12 months and you could persue him in court for the reminder of the rent, UNLESS he provides a follow-on tenant to take over the rest of the lease.

Thanks, its a fixed 12 month lease, and a months notice required too.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭variety

Doom wrote: »

You cannot break a fixed term lease (unless you assign it, as silja says, or by mutual agreement), so having a one month notice is irrelevant.

A tenant can leave at the end of the term without notice, as it is assumed that the lease will end on the end date.
    As a LL you would be advised to contact the tenant 3 weeks or so before the end of the fixed term in order to establish whether or not they are staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Make an appointment to pop around to check the condition of the house. If the condition is good and they move out early you'll need a new tenant. If the condition is bad be on your toes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mebird

variety wrote: »
    You cannot break a fixed term lease (unless you assign it, as silja says, or by mutual agreement),.

That is my understanding too.
    variety wrote: »
    A tenant can leave at the end of the term without notice, as it is assumed that the lease will end on the end date.

That is not my understanding of the Law. Regardless of what is contained in the lease, I understand that the tenant must still give notice that they do not intend to remain at the end of the fixed term. I believe that if the tenant does not give notice, the landlord is entitled to assume they intend the tenancy to continue ( as a Part 4 ). Thus, notice is required in all instances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

In theory they can not break a lease in.practice they can.and there is.nothing you can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mebird

ted1 wrote: »
    In theory they can not break a lease in.practice they can.and there is.nothing you can do.

Not quite. If the landlord is of the opinion that the tenant has not given adequate notice in a residential tenancy, the landlord may withhold the deposit as compensation. Whether the landlord is entitled to withhold all of the deposit in this instance is another matter.

mebird wrote: »
    Regardless of what is contained in the lease, I understand that the tenant must still give notice that they do not intend to remain at the end of the fixed term. I believe that if the tenant does not give notice, the landlord is entitled to assume they intend the tenancy to continue ( as a Part 4 ). Thus, notice is required in all instances.
    I can see where you're coming from, but in the event that the Tenant claims a Part 4 after the fixed term has expired (since they're supposed to do it 1-3 month before its expiration), the LL can recoup any losses incurred by the Tenant not informing him that he intends to leave (eg advertising costs). The assumption is there that the Tenant will leave at the end of the fixed term.

mebird wrote: »
    Not quite. If the landlord is of the opinion that the tenant has not given adequate notice in a residential tenancy, the landlord may withhold the deposit as compensation. Whether the landlord is entitled to withhold all of the deposit in this instance is another matter.
    Well, not really as "compensation", more as monies owed for the rent. Realistically, a LL rarely gets compensation (as opposed to Tenants), even if the PRTB rules in their favour.

Another question....would you hold back money for tidying up the garden, it looks like the amazon and was maintained very well when let out, toilets and sink looked like they where never cleaned, tbh it looks like a ****e sitting in the bottom of the loo :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

You wrote:
    Doom wrote: »

What do you mean here? Is there a clause in the lease that a month's notice is required in order to leave?

odds_on wrote: »
    You wrote:

What do you mean here? Is there a clause in the lease that a month's notice is required in order to leave?

They should be giving notice in the 11th month id they intent to leave after a 12 month lease....simple!

Advertisement