Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are these plough marks?

• 06-08-2011 9:08pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I posted this photo in another forum and everyone seemed to think that these marks are from repeated hits from a plough. Could anyone tell me if it is likely that a plough would hit a stone from several different directions. What would you do if you were ploughing and you hit a stone like this, would you dig it up and throw it away after hitting it several times? i would love to know how you deal with stones like this. It is about 2 foot diameter and 1 foot thick. It was found on the edge of a forest about 20 yards from a field of barley.
    Thanks.F6B2A0AA496F43FA8A174B6E9A93CACF-0000345227-0002470004-00640L-F842F184BA1F410BB935D1E7BFA05AB4.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭johnstown

I'd say so. Picked a similar granite stone off a field this year. The markings were too fresh to be otherwise. I gave the stone in question a powerhose as I thought it might be something of significance.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

johnstown wrote: »
    I'd say so. Picked a similar granite stone off a field this year. The markings were too fresh to be otherwise. I gave the stone in question a powerhose as I thought it might be something of significance.
    Thanks J. Were the marks on your stone as straight as the ones in the picture? And did they come from as many angles? The marks on my stone aren't fresh, I'm guessing they're pretty old. Horse drawn ploughs would hardly cut the stone like this - would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Horace

Maybe they could have been made by the bucket of a digger or or a loader prior to breaking it up and removing it from a field

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Might have been done by a heavy disc harrow too?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement