Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gardening

Options
  • 06-08-2011 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

is it too late to plant an out door crop of carrots now (6thaug) to get a late crop of baby carrots in nov?
    if the weather stays mild of course

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

ocireland wrote: »
    is it too late to plant an out door crop of carrots now (6thaug) to get a late crop of baby carrots in nov?
    if the weather stays mild of course

I think it would be a bit late but should still get something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Make up a a plastic sheet cloche and throw it over them when the cold starts to come in for protection and water them yourself. Should have something for the Christmas dinner table.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭LJL

ive planted carrots over the weekend. i've read in numerous places that carrots, onions, potatoes and a few others can be sown now for winter..
    first time trying winter veg tho so will see how it goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

I planted a few rows of Early Nantes two weeks ago and they are all up. So hopefully, at the very least, I should have a crop of 'salad' carrots in a month or so.

OP, it does seem very late but a row or two now can't do any harm and you never know, come the end of September you could be munchin' on some tasty baby carrots before the early frosts come.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

Carrots are usually sown in April-May.Its too late for most veg.
    Now is a good time for Turnips or Radishes.
    You could try winter Cabbage but it will not be ready until March or April.
    I've also heard of a late Cauliflower.

• Advertisement
Advertisement