Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to prepare for first few days of classes in a new post

• 06-08-2011 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭

I am a NQT with some teaching experience prior to completing the PGDE this year, I have been offered a maternity leave cover two weeks short of the full year which starts in 2 and a half weeks. Its full time hours so I know I am going to be very busy..

Any suggestions on how best to prepare for my first few days of classes??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

What subject(s) and if you know, what years and levels will you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭rose23

My subjects are French and Geography.. not sure what years and levels. I am going to ask principal for timetable, list of classes and levels, booklists etc next week.. but im just wondering what else could I do to prepare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Dont prepare too much until you know the standard of your class and students. tes.co.uk has great French resources you can adapt. I would do sample answers for the written sections of the French papers and keep them in a folder to photocopy as needed. Same for marking scheme folder and grammar worksheet resources from tes or frenchteacher.net. Figure out a system to divide up your time and stick to it. Bonne chance!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Talk to the teacher who had them last year.

Have a look at last year's scheme of work - the school should have it somewhere (probably filed away where no-one ever looked at it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭rose23

Yeah I might ask the principal for the teachers number.. dunno would he be obliged to give it to me though. Im sure if I do get in contact with her she will give me some info and the schemes of work!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just ask one of your new colleagues to pass on your number to the old teacher, that way it's her call if she contacts you. If she's waiting to give birth she might welcome the distraction.
    The schemes should be in the school - with all the other unread stuff - school development plans, syllabi, minutes of meetings, etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Schemes will be really helpful but speak to the teacher and ask if the schemes are strictly followed and realistic so that you dont feel like you are failing if you have a group who progress slowly. I know our school schemes are a goal rather than reality for most classes. Also get into the habit of keeping a sheet, notebook or similar and writing everything you do in it. Helpful for your reference and for the teacher youre in for when they come back. Comment to the principal that you left everything organised and easy to step back in could put you in a strong position for hours next year, reference etc. You will be surprised how quickly you figure out prep time that suits you. No more 3 page dip lesson plans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

The teacher might have a new born baby, so I wouldn't go ringing her ( the principal might not be sensitive to this fact!).

More than likely she will have left instructions for you in school, detailing what she wants covered.

The first week back you will probably have just meetings and maybe exam classes so you could just photopcopy exam papers for the first day, and give them a test to see how much they know already. Then you can plan wjat you need to teach the following week after you have talked to them and other teachers.
    This will help you decide what you need to focus on.
    You may have 1st years in the 1st week too so you could have a simple worksheet prepared for them, or spend the first class introducing the subject etc.. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

First few lessons with any class, don't worry too much about any curriculum stuff they're supposed to be learning. Just be really really assertive on your behaviour management system. It will save you a lot of time for the rest of the year and help set up a positive learning environment so you can get on with the syllabus when everyone is settled in.
    Remember to focus on how you're going to reward cooperative behaviour even more than how you'll punish misbehaviour!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KaiserLu

Above all, I would say be prepared. First impressions count for a lot. Maintain a strict teacher-pupil relationship. Trying to be their friend from the off always ends disastrously. Dress appropriately, and set out the rules for the year and what you WILL achieve by the end of this year (I've found that saying things like 'This is what I'd like to achieve' leaves room for doubt in their minds).
    Don't go looking for conflict, it will come to you as kids try to test their boundaries. When it comes, deal with it at the end of class.

Above all, go easy on yourself- a full timetable can take some adjusting to. You'll make mistakes, that's inevitable. What I try to do is not repeat them.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement