Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining societies as Access Course student

Options
  • 06-08-2011 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

So I took the leap and applied for an Access Course at UCD in June. I arrived in Dublin from Amsterdam last week and am getting my stuff in order such as getting a PPS number and bank account and Irish phone etc.

The thing is I don't know many people here. I have a few cousins and old friends living here but they are all a good bit older than me. So I went looking for the best way to meet new people and everyone says I should join as many societies as possible.

However I am not sure if it possible to join societies as a Access Course student. I will have a student card and so on, but I'm not sure if I will be accepted into such groups as I am not yet a full-time student and am not doing a degree.

Can anyone tell me whats what or just give me some general advice?

Also this Wednesday I'm going to The Lost Society to listen to some Dubstep and see what the scene is like during the week. I have yet to go on a night on the town during the weekend, but I think I should wait until I know some people instead of going solo and trying to meet people in clubs/bars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Yep, you can. You're as much a UCD student as someone doing a fulltime degree so you have access to everything they have (although as i recall you can't borrow as many books from the library!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Ionesco

Thanks a lot Chet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

You'll make friends on the access course as well. There are a good few group projects so you get to know people in your class very well. But you do have to put in the effort!

Good luck on the course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

Once you're in a college you can join whatever society you want. Heck I got people to join the snow society from outside of college just to get some extra numbers for ski trips. Join societies for friends. If you don't have much money, join something that doesn't involve trips away etc - poker/chess - doesn't have to be these ofcourse but whatever you're into.

Advertisement