Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incorrect pin twice

Options
  • 06-08-2011 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Hi
    Can someone advise me on something, i entered my pin incorrectly twice in a shop today my fat fingers hit the number above the number 9 for example and it came up incorrect pin twice, im afraid i will get stung in another shop if i do it again ive never done it before it was just today its on a laser card is there a time limit on this or will it automatically go back to 3 attempts again? what way does it work?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

What bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

aib

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I doubt there's a time limit, I'd put money on the fact that you have only one more chance to get it right, the same as a SIMM card in a mobile phone. The two incorrect PINs will be 'forgiven' if you get it right next time i.e. the slate will be wiped clean.

Chances are that if you put in an incorrect PIN next time, an ATM machine will swallow the card, whether that's tomorrow or next month and if it's a Laser swipe machine the card will probably be disabled and you'll need to call the bank to reactivate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

There's no set standard for this, each bank may be different, and it's probably not in their best interests to make public what their security procedure is.

It could reset the no. of retries after 24 hours, it may not reset after any time limit (which I'd imagine is the most common). If you're worried about your card being captured, there are ATMs that don't have the capability to capture cards, they're usually the free-standing ones you see in shops.

There's also usually a 'clear' button on the pinpad, if you know you made a mistake, press this, and it will delete what you entered and allow you re-enter it.

I work in retail and have on occasion taken a card in where it would say "Final Attempt" upon inserting it, so I don't think there's an expiration on failed attempts (unless of course you successfully enter it). In the case of the store I work in, if the wrong PIN is entered and the card locks, the transaction goes through anyway but requires a signature. It then displays "PIN locked" on the display.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Play Bunny wrote: »
    Hi
    Can someone advise me on something, i entered my pin incorrectly twice in a shop today my fat fingers hit the number above the number 9 for example and it came up incorrect pin twice, im afraid i will get stung in another shop if i do it again ive never done it before it was just today its on a laser card is there a time limit on this or will it automatically go back to 3 attempts again? what way does it work?

thanks

Do you remember your pin no.??? If it's just your fat fingers that are the problem- then just carefully enter your pin the next time and it's all good.... No problems...

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

Do you remember your pin no.??? If it's just your fat fingers that are the problem- then just carefully enter your pin the next time and it's all good.... No problems...

thanks guys, yep i do remember it thats why i was more than surprised i did it the 2nd time the first it was to late i had hit the digit above it then tried it again not sure what the feck i did 2nd time, just dont want to be caught out im paranoid now :/ i know some shops are strict on no signatures it must be pin only,

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Go to a shop where they know you, hang around until there's no customers waiting to be served and explain to the counter assistant that you've previously entered the PIN number incorrectly, hopefully he or she will allow you to take your time this time.

You could also ask the person behind the counter to enter the PIN but you need to be sure there' nobody else nearby if you do this. You could also go to your bank and ask them to let you do it in one of the machines they have at the counters.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

There's no time-limit. It's just you get 3 attempts to enter your pin correctly. After that it locks. It'll be fine! :)

Advertisement