Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cracking/Clicking Noise When Braking

Options
  • 06-08-2011 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

I have an 2006 Audi A6 Allroad. When I brake there is sometimes a clicking sound. Other times it does not happen at all. Sometimes it is a louder clacking. It is almost always at lower speeds.

There's only 50k on the clock and it passed the NCT recently.

Any mechanics here who might know what could be causing this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

You feel a judder in the pedal when it's doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭rb25

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    You feel a judder in the pedal when it's doing this?

thanks for replying.

no judder just that I can feel the click through into the pedal but hear it also. doesn't sound like it is coming from any of the four corners (thought it might be brake pads at first) but pads and calipers feel solid.

rb25 wrote: »
    thanks for replying.

no judder just that I can feel the click through into the pedal but hear it also. doesn't sound like it is coming from any of the four corners (thought it might be brake pads at first) but pads and calipers feel solid.

OK, as opposed to a 'judder' you can feel a 'click' through the pedal?

Sounds like your ABS kicking in to me.

OK, as opposed to a 'judder' you can feel a 'click' through the pedal?

Sounds like your ABS kicking in to me.

Could be. It's nearly always at low speed though < 50kph - e.g. coming into a roundabout or slow junction.

Could be. It's nearly always at low speed though < 50kph - e.g. coming into a roundabout or slow junction.

Speed doesn't necessarily come in to it. If the road is damp, has potholes or manhole covers, gravel, etc. it can kick in very easily. If it's happening on bone dry level roads at low speed under normal braking it's something more serious and only your mechanic can answer for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I have an 2006 Audi A6 Allroad. When I brake there is sometimes a clicking sound. Other times it does not happen at all. Sometimes it is a louder clacking. It is almost always at lower speeds.

There's only 50k on the clock and it passed the NCT recently.

Any mechanics here who might know what could be causing this?

Is it all four wheels ? Or just one wheel doing it? Have you changed the breaks recently ? Changed a tyre? When you speed up dose this click sound appear? Do you hear the clanking over small bumps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

It could be your brake pad knocking off the back of the caliper, I get it sometimes

Speed doesn't necessarily come in to it. If the road is damp, has potholes or manhole covers, gravel, etc. it can kick in very easily. If it's happening on bone dry level roads at low speed under normal braking it's something more serious and only your mechanic can answer for sure.

Yeh, it is happening on bone dry roads at low speed under normal braking. :/
    msg11 wrote: »
    Is it all four wheels ? Or just one wheel doing it? Have you changed the breaks recently ? Changed a tyre? When you speed up dose this click sound appear? Do you hear the clanking over small bumps ?

It seems to be coming from the middle of the car somewhere. I can't trace it to just one wheel. It was serviced recently. No tyre changes. There's no click when braking aggressively at speed. There's no clanking over small bumps.
    It could be your brake pad knocking off the back of the caliper, I get it sometimes

The pads and calipers seem solid enough but it could be that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Have you had new pads recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Check bushes + track rod ends, tie rods etc. Is the anti rattle clip ion the caliper?

• Advertisement

Have you had new pads recently?

It was serviced recently before I bought it so I presume the pads were changed out.
    Plug wrote: »
    Check bushes + track rod ends, tie rods etc. Is the anti rattle clip ion the caliper?

Sorry for being a dumbass but what does the anti-rattle clip look like? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

It was serviced recently before I bought it so I presume the pads were changed out.

Some cheap aftermarket pads can be slightly smaller then the factory pads, even only by a couple of mm they will be able to move in the caliper when you press the brakes. However, given the obvious safety issues with brakes, you'd really want to have it checked to make sure all the retaining pins etc are fitted correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Had this exact same problem on my 2010 Outlander. I would get a cracking/pinging noise when braking when turning & only when going slowly. Also had a sjudder when braking from 60 or 70 mph although that was intermittent. Car was back in the garage twice to remedy it but to no avail. They tried cleaning the caliper pins and put anti-seize spray on everything. Eventaully told them to just change the pads even though thought there was some life left on them and hey prestor problem fixed...all noises and judder gone.

Advertisement