Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switchin from Vodafone to Tesco Mobile - worth it?

Options
  • 06-08-2011 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭

Since I moved to Ireland in 2005 I had a vodafone prepay phone.
    I never thought about switching to other network, as vodafone has the best coverage in my area.
    However, recently I looked at tesco mobile offer, and it seems way cheaper (at least for me).

I don't use a phone too much. I used to top up my vodafone by 20 euros every approx 2 months. That gave me free calls to vodafone for a month, which I mostly used for chatting to my wife. Other calls at 29c a minute seems bit expensive to me, but I was living with it. I make as well good few calls to Poland, which vodafone offers at 9c per minute landline, and 25c per minute mobile.

Now when I looked at tesco mobile it looks like, that every 10 euro top up (or bigger) will be doubled, so I get the same amount as in vodafone but twice cheaper. Then calls are only 20c per min which is again cheaper than vodafone. Calls to Poland are at 1c per minute landline, and 11c per minute mobile, which seems to be incredible cheap.

If all above is true, I probably would be able to be doing topups every 3 or 4 months instead of 2, and I'd have to pay only 10 instead of 20. In the end price of using a mobile goes down from average 10 a months, to about 3 euros a month.

Am I right with my calculations, or is there any trick in all these?
    How often do you have to top up at tesco mobile to keep aocount acitve?

I know I'd get worse coverage than I have at vodafone, but I could live with it, if I could cut mobile cost by over 3 times.

Any advice appricitated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I would be about the same, I was topping up about €20 every 8 - 10 weeks. I had a few friends on vodafone at the time but didnt keep track of it, I just thought of it as a bonas if I didnt get charged for a call.

I changed to three bill phone when I had a baby just for piece of mind and had 90 units for €19. I never used more than 60 units per month.

I've been with Tesco mobile for 2 months. This first month I had loads of credit because I topped up €10, got 10 bonas and another €20 for switching my number. I only used €24. I still have the €10 original money for this month.

Nearly nobody I call is on tesco mobile so the free texts and calls are no good to me, most of my friends are now O2.

Still, it looks like I'll be spending about €10m every 1 or 2 months.

I think its 2c per minute to call a land line in Poland and 29c to call a Polish mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Thanks guys for that info.
    I read all the terms and conditions now, but it still doesn't look bad.
    By topping up by 10 I can still use first 10 for calls to Poland, and extra 10 for calls in Ireland for the month, and then use whatever is left from that first 10, when extra expires.

It's advertised that calls to Poland are 1c/min landline and 11c/min mobile.
    You mentioned 2c and 29c.
    Does that meat that current offer is only temporary and is it likely that it will come back to 2c and 29c?

PS. I have a VOIP landline in my house in Ireland with Polish number on it, so I could as well use my Tesco mobile for ringing my home in Ireland at 1c/min.
    Generally all looks great.

Advertisement