Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

kleefarr wrote: »
    It's not just London now though. Riots in Uk would be better.

Anarchy in the UK cmon sounds appropriate so it does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Happyman42 wrote: »
    One that doesn't consign generations to ghettos of no hope & no way out.
    And I am not talking about pacifying them with plasma TV's and pretend job schemes.
    Root and branch societal change.

Rubbish. They have plenty of time to find work when millions of immigrants to London found work in the same time.

I know you think repeating that sociology lecture you got this year from the bearded professor makes your point. It doesn't.

The real inequalities in the recent past have been the increase in wealth between the top 10% and rest, the median has stayed the same. If you read a newspaper you would get that. Therefore the median, or middle income groups have a right to protest, the lumpens and criminals dont. They have been molly-coddled for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Anyone grab a screen of this?

Her Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/people/Jenna-Major/100000132288227

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Riots in England i would say

That is a good point, they have not spread to Wales or Scotland yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

One that doesn't consign generations to ghettos of no hope & no way out.
    And I am not talking about pacifying them with plasma TV's and pretend job schemes.
    Root and branch societal change.

Many choose to to live in such ghettos. It's happening here too, in places like Mosney etc. Last year, when the state wanted to relocate some of the residents, they threatened to go on hunger strikes. Some people simply don't want to integrate themselves into already existing communities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

biko wrote: »
    I've removed my claim but you should have a link to yours.
    Why?Did you try link your claim in the first instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I think the news are underreporting events today so as not to further inflame the situation.

I'm hearing it's kicking off in Manchester. (can't vouch for that)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

CorkMan wrote: »
    That is a good point, they have not spread to Wales or Scotland yet.

Or Northern Ireland. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

biko wrote: »
    Mark Duggan, OG, shot at a policeman and the bullet lodged itself in a police radio. He was shot and this then triggered the riots.

I have to stop you there, and again, this is why the police have no credibility with their public anymore.

Duggan had a weapon. Fair enough.

The police stated that there was then "an exchange of fire", forcing them to take action, resulting in the bullet lodging in the radio.

This has already been verified as false. The bullet in the radio came from another officer's weapon.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/07/police-attack-london-burns

This might seem like a minor detail - there doesn't seem to have been any dispute that Duggan was brandishing a weapon - but it's not. Coming on the back of the Tomlinson, De Menezes and phonehacking cases, is it any wonder the people rioting don't have any faith in the word of the police or respect for their authority?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Yahew wrote: »
    Rubbish. They have plenty of time to find work when millions of immigrants to London found work in the same time.

I know you think repeating that sociology lecture you got this year from the bearded professor makes your point. It doesn't.

The real inequalities in the recent past have been the increase in wealth between the top 10% and rest, the median has stayed the same. If you read a newspaper you would get that. Therefore the median, or middle income groups have a right to protest, the lumpens and criminals dont. They have been molly-coddled for too long.

This is exactly what I thought when I read your previous posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

In response to a load of comments here, as far as I know, it has not been confirmed that the police officer was shot by another police officer, only that the bullet which was lodged in the radio was the same type as bullets used by the police. That doesn't mean it isn't used by anyone else and in fact is considered one of the more common types on the street.
    Until the ballistics come back, we won't know who fired it.
    What has been confirmed, is that a non-police issue gun was found at the scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Greed or poverty?
    And Im saying nothing about the BBC choice of Photos ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14463452

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

I hope I don't eventually have to change it to "The British Revolution." :D

If you hear about the Cork evolution that would be moi finishing the job for Perkin Warbeck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

AHAHAHAAHH. What has that got to do with anything that's being talked about in this thread?

Some of the rioters are taking stuff they can't pay for....what does that remind you off?

Do you think, that just because you getto-ize people, give them a sub standard education in horrible environments that they won't see what is really going on in the world?

Maybe they are wrong but can you see how they might have gotten the wrong perception of how the world really works??
    Haven't we in the middle class gotten one hell of a wake up call this last few years?????
    Try and see beyond your nose...it's called 'understanding'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

OK, I can't edit my 1st post at all. "Edit" is not showing up next to quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

you'd think they'd rob the banks oh wait a minute they're just minus gignormous numbers in a computer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

I have to stop you there, and again, this is why the police have no credibility with their public anymore.

The police stated that there was then "an exchange of fire", forcing them to take action, resulting in the bullet lodging in the radio.

This has already been verified as false. The bullet in the radio came from another officer's weapon.

This might seem like a minor detail - there doesn't seem to have been any dispute that Duggan was brandishing a weapon - but it's not.

On the back of the Tomlinson, De Menezes and phonehacking cases, is it any wonder the people rioting don't have any faith in the word of the police or respect for their authority?

Facts are going to take a while to come out of it. of course there are going to be things that turn out to be false, thats the nature of investigations.

but do you think any of the rioters give a **** at this stage, or are even listening? those two girl rioters on bbc didnt even know who was in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

70 to 80 people are in a standoff between police in manchester

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

You can only edit for a certain amount of time after making the original post, have to get a mod to edit it

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

RobitTV wrote: »
    70 to 80 people are in a standoff between police in manchester

Oh Robit, don't ever change.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Some of the rioters are taking stuff they can't pay for....what does that remind you off?

Theiving scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

This might seem like a minor detail - there doesn't seem to have been any dispute that Duggan was brandishing a weapon - but it's not. Coming on the back of the Tomlinson, De Menezes and phonehacking cases, is it any wonder the people rioting don't have any faith in the word of the police or respect for their authority?
    But who realeased the info that it was a police bullet that hit the radio? The police.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've changed it for you. Added UK as it's not only London.

RobitTV, Next time you bold/underline/whatnot and don't post a source I'll ban you from the thread or the forum. Your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Mods, is it OK if I change the title to "Riots In London" ?

uk riots would of been good, liverpool nd brum will want there own now

bristol wont give a fook their just pure mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Do you think, that just because you getto-ize people, give them a sub standard education in horrible environments that they won't see what is really going on in the world?

Maybe they are wrong but can you see how they might have gotten the wrong perception of how the world really works??
    Haven't we in the middle class gotten one hell of a wake up call this last few years?????
    Try and see beyond your nose...it's called 'understanding'.

Jesus tittyf*cking christ.. They're using Blackberries to co-ordinate the attacks. You do know how much a Blackberry costs, yeah?

• raven136 wrote: »
    There is overpaid american baseball players and american footballers and models....dont see any rioting outside Yankee stadium recently.

There is overpaid undertalented people all over the world.

Plenty of poor ordinary working class folk in London trying their best to get on with their lives and dont resort to acting like thugs.

Its not the media's fault,its not sky news fault,its not the governments fault,want someone to blame...then blame the rioters and blame their fcuking parents.

Exactly, but that's what's at the bottom of all this. People resenting those who are 'better off'. There's a sense of entitlement in this country that permeates all sections of society.

And about the race thing, let's not fool ourselves. The vast majority of the looters were black, and the vast majority of the people cleaning up are white. It's hardly racist to note that.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shaneybaby

While to be honest i'd usually go with what the papers say there's a lot of confusion about this and the guardian isn't even sure in that report the bullet was a police bullet. It gives no source or where it heard that story from. If anything it's running a bit close to tabloid stuff.

Before i get insults for being a right wing police loving facist I'm not defending one or the other, just saying that whatever the story is we won't even get preliminaries of the report until all this calms down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

I wonder why these are Selling fast on Amazon.co.uk !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/movers-and-shakers/sports/ref=zg_bs_tab

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Can them yokes north of watford have their own thread please

FFS putting London in with the UK

Disgrace

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Jesus tittyf*cking christ.. They're using Blackberries to co-ordinate the attacks. You do know how much a Blakcberry costs, yeah?

Not very much tbh.

Advertisement