Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

cosmicfart wrote: »
    A flamethrower, now that would surreal!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sangat TV already showing burning cars in Birmingham.

Why do rioters only start after 5?

Are they actually working during the day?

their only getting up, they need their rioting sleep you know,

move along, move along, nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

hoff1 wrote: »
    The internet has really helped these guys make a bigger impact than usual, between organising riots and buying weapons....things have changed since 1985

The baseball bats are being got more for defence by people wanting to defend their Family & Property.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Well, was only a matter of time until gaming got blamed in some form:

from the Daily Fail (Sorry all)
    GRAND THEFT AUTO BLAMED
    A policeman said last night that children involved in the rioting and stealing were inspired by violent video game Grand Theft Auto.
    The hugely popular computer game, which should not be played or bought by anyone under 18, is popular among teenagers, with many having the game given to them by their parents.
    In Tottenham, the scene of the first riots on Saturday night, a police officer said: ‘These are bad people who did this. Kids are out of control.
    ‘When I was young it was all Pacman and board games. Now they’re playing Grand Theft Auto and want to live it for themselves.’
    The game, which is made by Edinburgh-based firm Rockstar North, has been criticised for depicting carjackings, drive-by shootings and prostitution. It has also been accused of encouraging juvenile crime in Britain.
    Players are expected to commit crimes and build up their power in a fictional city, through selling drugs and killing rival gangsters.
    There have been fears that some gamers may try to recreate scenes from the games for real.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

dfx- wrote: »
    I don't think there'll be anything tonight for that same reason. The horse has bolted and is somewhere on Continental Europe as the stable door is being closed however.

Even if they did come out, 16,000 officers is not enough for something that fluid. Blocking the phone and internet network will stop it dead, but you can't have London functioning without those networks. Even then it can restart anytime they like anywhere they like when the communication lines would re-open. Rain would do it, otherwise, it's entirely up to the scumbags when it starts or ends.

Long term solutions...

So in the past there were no riots because people didn't have mobile phones?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

neonitrix wrote: »
    so its a proven method of law enforcement

worked on me so it did!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭RoryMac

dfx- wrote: »
    I don't think there'll be anything tonight for that same reason. The horse has bolted and is somewhere on Continental Europe as the stable door is being closed however.

Even if they did come out, 16,000 officers is not enough for something that fluid. Blocking the phone and internet network will stop it dead, but you can't have London functioning without those networks. Even then it can restart anytime they like anywhere they like when the communication lines would re-open. Rain would do it, otherwise, it's entirely up to the scumbags when it starts or ends.

Long term solutions...

It will all end once the weather changes, once it starts raining the scum will go home to play with their new x-boxs and iphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I haven't got Sky, so I don't know what channel people are on about. Could anyone tell me where there's any trouble (if there is?), BBC are as useful as a chocolate teapot.

neonitrix wrote: »
    I am more partial to one of these http://www.beat102103.com/beat-breakfast-blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/30-Hurls.jpg who needs a baseball bat

ah, the weapon of choice among our forefathers....;) perfectly legal too.

CorkMan wrote: »

cant see the vid man im in 'work'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Latchy wrote: »
    Kay Burley of sky news got this quote from one black youth spokesman

'' their mums are all out working all hrs to make ends meet and they get bored ''

She replied '' so are millions of other parents out working all hrs but their kids including mine dont go out at night , cause mayham , rioting and looting for fun ''?

Then he says matter of fact '' but your on a really high salary ''

to which she replys '' I was brought up in council estate in Wigan and my parents taught me right from wrong '' ?
    Managed to catch that bit on my break, I usually hate Kay Burley and complain about her the whole time but that was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

karma_ wrote: »

I blame the print media.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

Ha by that logic should he not be running around trying to eat ghosts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Scumbags.
    Utter through and through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Another papaer was going to go with that headline yesterday but decided against it due to complaints from gamers and others that it was completely baseless.

So Daily ****hole went with it instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

cosmicfart wrote: »
    cant see the vid man im in 'work'

It's not a flamethrower like as in a gun, they have a barrel of gas. They press on the barrel and gas comes out and they obviously mix the gas with fire.

But they are fighting the police, the shops and streets are OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

17.15 Sales of baseball bats on Amazon have gone through the roof, according to The Guardian's Jonathan Haynes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8687177/London-riots-live.html

Regarding the thefts of Sony Xbox and I-phones, wouldnt these be easily traced? once activated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Laika1986 wrote: »
    Ha by that logic should he not be running around trying to eat ghosts?

They will blame Angry Birds next !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

• Advertisement

CorkMan wrote: »
    It's not a flamethrower like as in a gun, they have a barrel of gas. They press on the barrel and gas comes out and they obviously mix the gas with fire.

But they are fighting the police, the shops and streets are OK.

Sounds like something yer man used in 'No country for old men' except it was a gun of sorts

RobitTV wrote: »
    17.15 Sales of baseball bats on Amazon have gone through the roof, according to The Guardian's Jonathan Haynes.

Heres hoping they stop shipping and hand over all orders during the last three days to police. Id hope they would have a bit of Civic responsibility.
    Every means that can be done to track these people down should be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

4chan's been taken down, there was a lot of organising goin on there lastnight, possibly the reason its gone today?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Manchester has been very quiet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Jake1 wrote: »
    Heres hoping they stop shipping and hand over all orders during the last three days to police. Id hope they would have a bit of Civic responsibility.

I would have thought it'd be people looking to defend themselves buying them?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭RonBo88

Don't think there will be much trouble tonight with the strong police presence. If it does continue, it will probably start up tomorrow night when the police get slightly complacent again like yesterday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I think the crown has experience of how ****ed up, that thinking is ;)

I'm not just talking about the crown. I'm talking about everywhere - here included. Imagine if it was the States. There'd be more than one shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Jake1 wrote: »

Considering reports of rioters going around with machetes, also reports of attempts to kick down front doors of houses, then I think the people ordering them online could be for home protection.

Advertisement