Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

FearDark wrote: »
    Samsung galaxy sII :cool:

I have no idea who you are but now I now you're uber cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Its only 5:42 imagine the trouble by around 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Walked through Camberwell earlier today. There's some damage done around there. Nearly every shop is closed for the day. I wonder what the economic effect of this is going to be. As well as the cost of repairing the damage, hundreds of small businesses have been indirectly affected.

Passed a few english teenagers bragging among themselves about the stuff they nicked. I felt like smacking them.

But on the positive side, the community there have done well to clean up the damage. It wasn't even midday when I passed and already new glass had been put in some shops, graffiti had been cleaned and the streets were spotless. There were big groups of people of all nationalities helping board up windows.

The shops that were open nearly all had big groups of people standing guard outside them. I think people are going to be a lot more prepared tonight to guard their property. I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear of a few looters getting baseball bats to the skulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

brummytom wrote: »
    Few cars on fire in West Brom and Wolverhampton apparently.

Jesus christ, it's only early!

the Early roiter catches the loot.

Lizzie Windsor speaks...

http://yfrog.com/klxw6asj

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Blisterman wrote: »

I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear of a few looters getting baseball bats to the skulls.
    I think it's on the cards .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

cosmicfart wrote: »
    maybe in the states yuo shoot first and ask questions later but I think, or at least hope we are a bit more civilized than resorting to that action...death without jury!

Don't carry a gun of any kind and you greatly decrease your chances of being shot by police.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Spend millions advertising and brain washing people into thinking they need stuff. And then when they don't have the means to get the stuff this is what happens.

Reminds me of the book "No Logo"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

Don't carry a gun of any kind and you greatly decrease your chances of being shot by police.

lol ur logic is undeniable :cool:

Latchy wrote: »
    I think it's on the cards .

Oh I hope so, god knows the scum have it coming.
    Terrorising a whole city FFS. They've had their turn for three days, I think its time Old Bill had their turn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Amazon.co.uk report a 5000% + rise in sales of aluminium baseball bats and a 3000% + rise in sales of wooden baseball bats.

Apparently the weather in London tonight is favourable for more rioting, i.e. no rain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

k.p.h wrote: »
    Spend millions advertising and brain washing people into thinking they need stuff. And then when they don't have the means to get the stuff this is what happens.

I can't afford a Ferrari.

BRB, going looting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Morlar wrote: »
    Except this one was a re-activated firearm. Not made of card and not a waterpistol either. Armed Police men have to make split second life and death decisions. Someone pulls a gun on an armed policeman then whatever happens to that person is their own fault.

I was saying the pullice are trained not to shoot (trigger happy like) especially if the ganksta is made of card.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

maybe in the states yuo shoot first and ask questions later but I think, or at least hope we are a bit more civilized than resorting to that action...death without jury!

The other option is for the policeman to take a chance on ending up dead? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

No Logo appeals to the upper middle class. They shop "off-brand" and organic. Which costs money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Someone I know said on Facebook it's kicked off in Salford a bit already this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

We all live in the same consumer culture.

It's the way our economy works.

Everyone in europe lives in a consumer culture and we can't all afford 'this stuff' but we are not all out there rioting, mugging, threatening, burning and stealing/looting etc.

Funny how the police only seem to shoot at people with previous tho isnt it?? funny how the rest of us law abiding citizens never have the b'aul police shooting at us.
    Ive a feeling that what happened to Mark Duggan would not have happened to my Grandmother...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

2 3rds of the entire police force will be in London tonight, leaves other areas open to rioting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

laugh wrote: »
    The other option is for the policeman to take a chance on ending up dead? :confused:

was he giving many warnings to drop the gun, maybe, Armed cops are markmen I dont see why he was shot dead!

• Advertisement

according to twitter armed vehicles are on streets of Croyden now.

http://twitpic.com/63i57v

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If there is an Al-Qaeda cell outside London like Essex or Watford or might even say Guildford, tonight would be the night you'd do something as their police have moved into the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Jake1 wrote: »
    Funny how the police only seem to shoot at people with previous tho isnt it?? funny how the rest of us law abiding citizens never have the b'aul police shooting at us.
    Ive a feeling that what happened to Mark Duggan would not have happened to my Grandmother...:rolleyes:

Would the stats here give you cause for even a smidgeon of concern?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/dec/03/deaths-police-custody-officers-convicted

Even if the above was not true, can you empathise with people who see it as being 'all too true'?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

1746:
    BBC Radio Manchester reporter Richard Stead says rocks and stones are being hurled at police vans by a large gang of youths in Salford, Manchester. He says there's a stand off between officers and a crowd of between 70 and 80 at Salford Precinct and businesses there have closed early.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14449675

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Blisterman wrote: »
    The shops that were open nearly all had big groups of people standing guard outside them. I think people are going to be a lot more prepared tonight to guard their property. I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear of a few looters getting baseball bats to the skulls.

baseball bat sales up 5000% on www.amazon.co.uk

http://gizmodo.com/5829119/sales-of-aluminium-baseball-bats-up-5000-on-amazon-after-uk-riots
    27 of 30 people found the following review helpful:
    5.0 out of 5 stars Cuts looters off at the knees, 9 Aug 2011
    By
    Harry Fish (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
    This review is from: Rucanor Aluminium Baseball Bat, Silver - 60 cm (Sports)
    This bat is perfectly weighted and will suit any UK shop-owner looking to protect their property.

Thanks to the ergonomic handle, one easy swing should be enough to shatter patellas, skulls or any other bone on your targeted looter. Personally, I would recommend also investing in some fingerless gloves for extra grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

was he giving many warnings to drop the gun, maybe, Armed cops are markmen I dont see why he was shot dead!

Incorrect again, they don't take the chance that a disarming shot will miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

These cops were no marksmen as one hit the other.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Would the stats here give you cause for even a smidgeon of concern?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/dec/03/deaths-police-custody-officers-convicted

Even if the above was not true, can you empathise with people who see it as being 'all too true'?

no.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Latest updates on the riots in and around Birmingham. Has pictures and a video of a gang of rioters gathering in Wolverhampton

http://birminghamriots2011.tumblr.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

You might be civilised. the guy carrying the gun isnt.

Why all this PC apologist cr*p - the guy was carrying a gun (whether it was discharged is as far as I can see the only thing that is still uncertain), his family admitted on airthe following day (on BBC) that he was 'into a bit of stuff' and some community figures have confirmed he was in the gang and a drug dealer. And he has a gun. Bloody hell, it is his own fault!

And now his family are painting him as a peaceful family man. It is that twofaced attitude by those close to him that makes me sick. And the fact that politicians are forced to come out with PC bull**** about "a lost loved one". I wish we could just call a spade a spade for God's sake.

Advertisement