Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭mikeyboy

Just seen some poor divil on bbc news saying that the rioters destroyed everything he had in the world. What a bunch of *******

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I love the fact that all they could think to steal were tracksuits, trainers and cheap food. What a hole that place must be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

dfx- wrote: »
    Well my original point was that the vast majority of people are ok with condemning the rioters and not defending them, which is just as strange a logic.

Strange in what way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I just hope the Luton doesn't spread to Luton

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

If the police used too much force to stop the riot, people would complain about police brutality. When they use too little force people complain that they faciliated the riot! Its all a propaganda tool so the left-wing can come up with more rediculous conspiracy theories, instead of blaming the b****** rioters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

There's a WH Smith in Wood Green.

Book shop, not news agents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I just hope the Luton doesn't spread to Luton

It could only improve the place tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It just goes to prove that a gouger is a gouger no matter where he's from.
    Young lads of 11/12 years of age out breaking windows and looting. Their parents should be locked up. I'd say there are very few actual workers rioting as usual. There doesn't seem to be a great work ethic in the black community in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I hate the fact that people are excusing this behaviour on poverty or bad living conditions. I've met plenty of people who have lived in real poverty, and made something of their lives.

I think the benefits culture in the UK, encourages a kind of helplessness and victim complex. Rather than being seen as a temporary measure, to help people who've fallen into hard times get back on their feet, the system encourages long term dependence on it.

And as a result, these people see the government as being responsible for them, so when something goes wrong for them, "its the government's fault".

And whatever people say about immigrants in this thread, I can guarentee you that the vast majority of those in the riots were born in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

It just goes to prove that a gouger is a gouger no matter where he's from.
    Young lads of 11/12 years of age out breaking windows and looting. Their parents should be locked up. I'd say there are very few actual workers rioting as usual. There doesn't seem to be a great work ethic in the black community in London.

LMFAO.

Amazing how the world looks from the comfort of the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

crazym02 would you ever **** off with your propaganda shi1te

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There seems to be many different reasons there is problems in Tottenham.
    Tottenham has the highest unemployment rate in London and the 8th highest in the United Kingdom.
    There have also been major tensions between the African-Caribbean community and the police since (and before) the 1985 Broadwater Farm riot in which a woman's stroke triggered a riot during which a policeman was killed.
    It has also been one of the main hotspots for gangs and gun crime in the United Kingdom during the past three decades.

It is perhaps no coincidence that Mark Duggan, the man whose death sparked scenes of violence and looting in Tottenham on Saturday, lived in Broadwater Farm – the crucible of rioting 26 years ago.
    In the past year alone, the Metropolitan Police has had to tackle 88 gun crime offences in the area – down from 141 the year before – and dealt with eight murders. The borough sees around 5,000 violent offences committed annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Anyone else reminded of the Carnival episode of 'Bottom'.
    from wiki
    The episode opens with Richie and Eddie sitting in "The best seats for the annual Hammersmith riot" (which is watching from out of their own lounge window). While admiring the ongoing violence taking place during what is supposed to be a carnival parade, Richie and Eddie decide to do some looting "When Currys blows", with one of the planned items to loot being a TV set. When they return to their flat with the events of their looting not seen to the viewers, it is discovered to them that Eddie dropped the TV while being run over by the "riot squad", but to his excitement still got the free rubber duck that "came with the telly", although "everything came free with the telly"

and then from here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14442935
    Press Association photographer Lewis Whyld saw looters battle police at a Currys store in Brixton.

He said: "A couple of hundred youths were rioting and looting. Riot police went in to get them out and there was a big fight in the street.

"Youths were throwing rocks and bottles and there was a bin on fire. They used a fire extinguisher to push the police back so they could get back into Currys and continue taking things out."

LMFAO.

Amazing how the world looks from the comfort of the internet.

So which part is wrong ?
    LMFAO at your response by the way. Does the world owe them all a living ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

flanum wrote: »
    is it all black people doing the rioting? i dont have a telly so im only geussing!

No, it isn't.
    Taytolover wrote:
    So which part is wrong ?
    LMFAO at your response by the way. Does the world owe them all a living ? !

There are black, white and "asian" people out on the streets is what he's saying.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14434552

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

So which part is wrong ?
    LMFAO at your response by the way. Does the world owe them all a living ?

Does the world owe who a living?

You need to expand more upon your questions and your points...it will help me make up my mind as to whether i pop you in the troll, racist or just ill informed category.

I mean, it certainly wasn't just black people rioting and looting over the weekend.

As for which part is wrong, specifically the part i bolded got a giggle out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

I think some of the folks in North London need to loot some Brains for for themselves.

Examples:

One lad posted a picture of himself with his loot
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/41419/twitter-tottenham-riot-thief-picture

A worker from Currys who Looted her own store (note her currys uniform) !
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/08/article-2023554-0D58092100000578-48_964x554.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

DominoDub wrote: »

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/08/article-2023554-0D58092100000578-48_964x554.jpg

Maybe she was trying to rescue the gear for safe keeping

Or maybe she looted the uniform :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

DominoDub wrote: »

Maybe she robbed it to keep warm.

I hope so.....

Cause if not... that's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen anyone do.

• Advertisement

Well from what i saw on the News the vast majority of the rioters seem to be Black and if they are out all night i am presuming that they are not working. There may be a minority of Whites and Asians there who turned up for the riots but 90% Black i'd say. Is unemployment very high in London i wonder ?
    Anyone know what percentage of the population of London is Black or Asian or what percentage of the unemployed in London is Black/Asian ? I also noticed a good many Black policemen too and wonder if there is a high proportion of the police in that area who are Black. Just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Bloody hell. I'm in a bit of a state of shock about this and it has gotten worse today after the second night's rioting and looting. I often miss London and England. Can't say that I do today though.

A good mate of of mine is one of the Police Officers who got hurt on the first night (Saturday). Nothing too bad, just cuts and bruises and it's far from the first time he's been attacked in ten years working for the Met. Whatever the rights or wrongs of the initial shooting hopefully the truth will come out and anyone who is found to have done wrong will be held accountable, but people aren't stealing trainers and iPods because of political or sociological concerns, they're doing it because they're **** who have an excuse to act like ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Well from what i saw on the News the vast majority of the rioters seem to be Black and if they are out all night i am presuming that they are not working. There may be a minority of Whites and Asians there who turned up for the riots but 90% Black i'd say. Is unemployment very high in London i wonder ?
    Anyone know what percentage of the population of London is Black or Asian or what percentage of the unemployed in London is Black/Asian ? I also noticed a good many Black policemen too and wonder if there is a high proportion of the police in that area who are Black. Just wondering.

Not going to be happy until this gets turned into a convo about "Blacks", are ye?

Nodin wrote: »
    Not going to be happy until this gets turned into a convo about "Blacks", are ye?

Jesus can nobody ask a question at all now ?
    I was only asking as i am not familiar with the place at all, that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Jesus can nobody ask a question at all now ?
    I was only asking as i am not familiar with the place at all, that's all.

Don't know the statistics but alot of Londoners are black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 bitchstalker

Ye, bring on the riots, at fuking last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Ye, bring on the riots, at fuking last.

<yawn>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

can imagine all the ' yo mother foooker' gangs walking away with nice 40" plasmas from currys...:rolleyes:

disgrace, more of them minority groups in london than whites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Easons sell sweeties too, ever been into WH Smith on the High Road?

front_of_shop.jpg

Only when on a train or plane journey when I want something disposable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Book shop, not news agents

Easons sell sweeties too, ever been into WH Smith on the High Road?

front_of_shop.jpg

Also the independent Big Green Book Shop, 3 mins further down towards Turnpike Lane.

Their blog had an interesting take on events

http://woodgreenbookshop.blogspot.com/

Advertisement