Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Of course...cover it up...why didn't we think of that before??:rolleyes:

Em where did you read that I said cover up?

Bit of a swing from saying today was a stupid day to release it, to cover it up. But if thats what you read, thats ok. Everything is rose tinted in Utopia

I havent enough hand for a big enough facepalm.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

RobitTV wrote: »

Who is buying them though? The rioters or the people that want to protect themselves and there belongings?

May be both.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Updates: (From guardian blog) here

We are hearing reports of a gang of 200 thugs armed with sticks going through Birmingham town centre. Riot police are dealing with them, according to Darren Little of Sky Midlands. Reports of cars being set alight.

Looters are breaking into shops in Salford, according to BBC News. A BBC cameraman has been assaulted as well, they say.

France, Austria and Italy have issued advisories to their citizens warning them to exercise caution when visiting the UK, especially in city centres after dark. MPs in Belgium say they fear the violence could spread to other countries in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

1752:
    BBC reporters in Salford say looters are breaking into Bargain Booze and the Money Sho on Hankinson Way. A BBC cameraman has been assaulted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14449675

Stocking up on dutch courage for the night ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

mike65 wrote: »

Thats mental, imagine waiting till the sh*ts already hit the fan before you invest in a baseball bat :eek:

• Advertisement

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Yeh, make sure and tell him not to get taken into police custody! :cool:

My son dosent act like a Fcuking cave man, he works, he pays for what he wants, he earns his place in Society. Police tend to leave people like my son alone. Hes not a problem.
    He never was and never will be a Mark Duggan type loser, or like anyone in his family, who wants a bellyrub from the social welfare.
    Boo whoo... blub blub.

Amazon says they haven't had so many sales of baseball bats since the website was first created

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Jake1 wrote: »
    Em where did you read that I said cover up?

Bit of a swing from saying today was a stupid day to release it, to cover it up. But if thats what you read, thats ok. Everything is rose tinted in Utopia

I havent enough hand for a big enough facepalm.:rolleyes:

No...I think you'll find that it was you who suggested that they should keep this info until it suited 'them' to release it. Cover up. Simple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Just an update for those that might be wondering.
    Sister in law living in hackney got little sleep last night. Either did her 4 young kids who were afraid and indoor all the time with her.
    They finally got some sleep when daylight came and they could relax a bit.

They have tried to get some shopping done later. Basic food, etc but such was the amount of stuff robbed from the nearby shops, the ones that were still able to open, had very little stock indeed. They then closed early (a) because of the situation and/or (b) fear of more trouble. basic stuff such as nappies could not be got for love or money.
    If the sister in law needs nappies, she now has to travel some distance (having to bring her 4 kids with her just to get them).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

blow69 wrote: »
    These scumbags have no logic. They are 'getting their taxes back' :rolleyes:

These people have to be contained and I have no problem with police going out "cracking skulls" tonight but it's pretty obvious that their is a huge social problem behind this.:(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

RobitTV wrote: »
    Amazon says they haven't had so many sales of baseball bats since the website was first created
    Source?

Dear gawd - are you ever going post sources?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭carefulnow100

Taken from:http://londonrioters.co.uk/identify/

:D:D:Dhttp://imageshack.us/f/189/unleduaa.jpg/:D:D:D

First time iv ever posted images from imageshack and alike so if I do it wrong sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Gang going around Birmingham with sticks, obviously could not wait for their baseball bats to be delivered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

k.p.h wrote: »
    Their has to be some logical reasons to why "humans" would act like this.. :(

Greed. Total lack of accountability, responsibility or civic pride, common decency. Wanting expensive posessions but not wanting to work for them in order to pay for them. Also boredom and group mentality.

Overall I'd put it down to upbringing, lack of responsible parents, and a lack of accountability for personal actions in their overall enviornment.

Some sections of society trying to make excuses for bad behaviour does no one any good, (including the people who continue in doingthe bad behaviour).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

cosmicfart wrote: »
    He was 'known' says it all really. Known by the cops of course. Did he have any convictions tell me??? You cant bring the death penalty to the streets even if you are a cop. He didnt do anything as far as ive seen that warranted been shot......dead.

also if they were shooting to kill once they decided they were going to shoot,

and presuming they would expect to pull the kill off once they got the hit,

why the fook were they trying to revive him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

My son dosent act like a Fcuking cave man, he works, he pays for what he wants, he earns his place in Society. Police tend to leave people like my son alone. Hes not a problem.
    He never was and never will be a Mark Duggan type loser, or like anyone in his family, who wants a bellyrub from the social welfare.
    Boo whoo... blub blub.

I suggest you read about some of the cases behind the stats...and tell your son not to get taken into custody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

"Machetes, pulling people out of cars,"

Man on Sky News.

1806:

Greater Manchester Police say a Wigan man has been arrested on suspicion of using social media to incite violence.

Thats the third or fourth keyboard warrior to be arrested today I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

London based mates are telling me that there is a huge cop movement at the moments, lots of police vehicles in convey driving around trouble spots being seen.

I think a daylight indicator of a hefty police presence will hopefully put the fear in some of the rioters who plan on hitting the streets tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

If there are further riots tonight, and dear god I hope there isn't, if the police dont react, I can see vigilante behaviour. There was rumors of one or two incidents of this last night, but I can see it happening on a larger scale.

:(

• Advertisement

Sky news said there was two men on motorbikes with axes about 20 mins ago

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Gang going around Birmingham with sticks, obviously could not wait for their baseball bats to be delivered

There's going to be a lot of postmen with aching muscles in a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

London based mates are telling me that there is a huge cop movement at the moments, lots of police vehicles in convey driving around trouble spots being seen.

I think a daylight indicator of a hefty police presence will hopefully put the fear in some of the rioters who plan on hitting the streets tonight.

There's not enough to cover the whole country though. With so many cops in London it's leaving other areas exposed and it looks like it's already kicking off elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I have to go and make some calls to London now, see if I can get someone to check on my sons flat, or Ill be heading to the airport.

And do what do you mind me asking?

If something if is kicking off around your sons flat then what can you do?

You'd be better off staying away as it's dangerous.

That's why he'll have insurance. I wouldn't go near the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

... By the way I don't think any Irish person is taking pleasure in what we are witnessing. Almost all of us have many friends and relatives over there and the bond between people in Dublin and London is strong (so strong that its likely the Olympic torch will visit Dublin)

The Met is stretched and they've never had to deal with anything like this before but they really should be taking draconian action at this stage. It has gone far too far

And some of us actually know members of the MET who have deal with these scumbags.
    ricardo1 wrote: »
    Witnessed a riot in Barcelona after a champions league match
    Police firstly used tear gas
    Then water cannons
    Then plastic bullets
    Job sorted in 3 hours....

I like the French method where the CRS hang around, maybe have a beer with their lunch and then bate the living cr** out of the rioters.
    k.p.h wrote: »
    Ah yeah I know. I just threw that up to see what people say. TBH these people do not deserve called anything other than "scumbags" but I don't agree in anyway with people saying "their just scumbags .... bring out the rubber bullets". Their has to be some logical reasons to why "humans" would act like this.. :(

There are logical reasons for their behaviour.
    Greed, a willingness to inflict pain and suffering and no empathy with anyone.

They want to steel stuff that they can't be bothered working for, because they believe they have a right to it.

Almost as bad as the rioters themselves are the ones that excuse their behaviour often with some physco babble about how they are disadvantaged, forgotten and disenfranchised.

These bleedin heart liberals would get the sh** kicked out of them, just as quickly as the rest of us, by the scumbags they defend.

It is a times like these I know why I admire the Singapore justice and police system.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

How come they are not so quick to start blasting the baton rounds like they did annually in N.Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just put up, lots of these would go along way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

irish-stew wrote: »
    If there are further riots tonight, and dear god I hope there isn't, if the police dont react, I can see vigilante behaviour. There was rumors of one or two incidents of this last night, but I can see it happening on a larger scale.

:(

Lots of Talk ...maybe All Talk
    http://twitter.com/#!/search/vigilante

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

jmayo wrote: »
    Almost as bad as the rioters themselves are the ones that excuse their behaviour often with some physco babble about how they are disadvantaged, forgotten and disenfranchised.
    I heard some young one on the radio say she was stealing to get her taxes back. I assume she'll start paying taxes once this is over so maybe it's not all bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Thrill wrote: »
    1752:
    BBC reporters in Salford say looters are breaking into Bargain Booze and the Money Sho on Hankinson Way. A BBC cameraman has been assaulted.

Stocking up on dutch courage for the night ahead

Advertisement