Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

One of the funnier Tweets i have seen but i do love anything that mocks Morrisey.
    BREAKING: Morrissey says that the London riots are nothing compared to the daily persecution that cabbages face from the coleslaw industry.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Biggins wrote: »
    Source?

Dear gawd - are you ever going post sources?

I think he saw this on Twitter :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/movers-and-shakers/sports/ref=zg_bs_tab#1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Sky News, disorder in Manchester and the midlands (Wolverhampton). As I said, the majority of the police will be in London, they will be short in other areas. (As well as some areas of London as was said by Kate Burley earlier)

After last night's appalling attacks and looting please stand together to protect our streets. From 6pm tonight please show your presence by peacefully patrolling the roads. If you see any trouble please sound your car horn (if you have one). The aim of this is to show these despicable thugs that we will not be terrorised.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=196663477060207&set=a.163862470340308.40355.160210407372181&type=1&theater

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Ponster wrote: »
    Thanks. At least you post links. Much appreciated.
    (Now if he would just bother to verify his quote from Amazon!)

I have to ask, is that increase mentioned, measured in hours, days, weeks or months etc?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Sky News have a silly amount of ads on at the moment. There wasn't this many last night when there was hot rioting action going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I'm glad to be grey. Youse young folk scare the shíte out of me. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sky News have a silly amount of ads on at the moment. There wasn't this many last night when there was hot rioting action going on.
    Making up for lost revenue time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭alphanine

The least PC person I have ever met announced last night to the bar referring to the 24 hr news channel "they're sorry now they let them in, they haven't worked since slavery" Cringe.

Don't think it's fair to blame any race, this is simply a mix of the disenfranchised and budding criminals with sophisticated mass communication methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

More updates from BBC -

18.40 A bit more on the lock down. David Millward says security has been stepped up at Canary Wharf, with shops shutting early. Residents on Whitechapel and Commercial Road also ready to defend shops.

Police in Manchester have confirmed unrest in the city centre and are warning people to stay away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Thanks. At least you post links. Much appreciated.
    (Now if he would just bother to verify his quote from Amazon!)

I have to ask, is that increase mentioned, measured in hours, days, weeks or months etc?

24 hours i think
    Movers and Shakers identifies the biggest gainers in sales rank compared to twenty-four hours previously. For example, if a music item has a current sales rank of 10, but was ranked at 30 twenty-four hours ago, its Movers and Shakers increase would be 200 %.

At the bottom of this page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Police looking really ineffectual in West Brow allowing vans to be fooked with and bricks to be broken up. I suspect this is far from over.

i expect it all to kick off after 7 or 7:30

It's started in Birmingham and Salford.

Twitter reports only so far. And Sky just had a guy on confirming Salford.

LOL Sky news have been reduced to showing live images from channel 847

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

scopper wrote: »
    Police looking really ineffectual in West Brom allowing vans to be fooked with and bricks to be broken up. I suspect this is far from over.

Watching it now on BBC. Police seem to be just standing there looking at them.

They seem more concerned in stoping people entering area rather than taking on the rioters.

Makes no sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭WonderWoman!

scopper wrote: »
    I suspect this is far from over.

me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

murpho999 wrote: »
    Watching it now on BBC. Police seem to be just standing there looking at them.

They seem more concerned in stoping people entering area rather than taking on the rioters.

Makes no sense to me.

Yep, they are allowing the thugs to build up. Only making things harder for themselves in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

http://birminghamriots2011.tumblr.com/
    Gang of about 30 ransacked and smahed their way into Machan on Newhall Street. Looted. Ran away towards Summer Row. Police have totally lost control.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

How can anyone defend the walking human excrement involved in this ???

I hope the riot police tonight use steamrollers to crush their feral skulls into the street. :cool:

edit: and use water cannon connected to the sewers to clean away the mess.

• Advertisement

• Jake1 wrote: »
    I have to go and make some calls to London now, see if I can get someone to check on my sons flat, or Ill be heading to the airport.

What do you think you're going to do? If there's any trouble with your son's flat (and statistically it's still unlikely), you definitely don't want to be there. Unless you actually stay in it, you're not going to know if something is gonna kick off, and if you do stay in it and there's trouble, you'd be in a lot of danger.

Interesting aerial footage now on Sky of the police in Canning Town basically flushing people out of the sidestreets.

More updates - (Guardian live blog)

18.41 Journalists from Sky and the BBC have been attacked in Salford and Birmingham.

Arif Ansara, the BBC's north east political editor said he saw looters attacking two shops in Salford and says his camera man was attacked. He is okay.

Gangs in Birmingham attacked a Sky News camera man and two broadcasters had their car attacked with sticks. They were chased off by riot police.

18.50 Reports of some unrest in Canning Town.

18.44 Masked thugs are throwing bricks and pushing bins around in West Bromwich. They are also attempting to push a white van onto its side and there are reports of a car on fire

Get out the rubber bullets lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Canning Town was 99% police on SKY News, very little seemed to be happening.

As for West Brom, agree with earlier comments. The plod standing about doing the square root of fvck all only makes matters worse later. Every gathering should be hustled and broken up as soon as they spot one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

The Bullring broken into in Birmingham again. Lack of live footage on Sky is making this less interesting. Time to go back to Channel 847

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

RobitTV wrote: »
    More updates from BBC -

18.40 A bit more on the lock down. David Millward says security has been stepped up at Canary Wharf, with shops shutting early. Residents on Whitechapel and Commercial Road also ready to defend shops.

Police in Manchester have confirmed unrest in the city centre and are warning people to stay away.

I think there are a number of potential paths this could take.
    One is that normal citizens end up confronting a gang of rioters and someone dies.
    Being honest I hope it isn't some normal citizen who is trying to protect themselves, their family or their property.

The other potential path is that if the police are unable to control the situation tonight then curfews will be brought in for certain cities/areas with possible introduction of military personnel.
    If this was the US the National Guard would have been called out already.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Making up for lost revenue time?

It's raze, not raise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

BBCNews BBC News by BreakingNews

Eye-witness in central #Birmingham tells @bbcnews car surrounded by riot police fending off youths in balaclavas, it's 'really scary' #riots

http://twitter.com/#!/BBCNews

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What's channel 847?

Advertisement