Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Thrill wrote: »
    2028:
    Police in Essex have arrested a 17-year-old boy after comments were made on Facebook allegedly encouraging others to meet in the county and riot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14449675

Another facebooker bites the dust.
    I hope his hall door was also kicked in. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

DominoDub wrote: »
    Millwall fans have gathered around their local area to protect the place and locals :eek:

http://twitpic.com/63k6tg

Would not want to mess with them ...or other eastenders

Vigilantialism is bound to happen if the Police are overwhelmed. We pay the police to protect us and our property, we socialize violence. If they can't, we will.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Latchy wrote: »
    I think there is a policy of holding back for now from the police ,I'm not sure why as they adopted this way last night to which makes one think they are saving their officers and energy for a long night and waiting from word from higher up .

As it was pointed out earlier today, cant remember who by. The police service do not take orders from the goverment, unfortunatly they are bound hugely by policies, red tape, etc etc.

It was suggested in terms of the looting they were just going to let them get on with it, and then arrest them after reviewing CCTV. In my own opinion now, the looters have taken full advantage of this and have pushed the limits of what they can try and get away with, and at that point, the police lost control.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Locals gathering in front of business to protect them in Eltham SE London.

http://thewestlondoner.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/london87.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭decembersun77

cougar1 wrote: »
    Simple reason for all this trouble, ....the police over there not bothering their arses to deal with anti social behaviour for the past 10-15 years. Inventing terms such as 'anti-social behaviour' and calling it 'low level harmless stuff' so they don't have to bother dealing with criminal behaviour.....has had it's repercussions.

No, that is wrong. Most of British Police was very professional. Sure there is far more crime in Dublin and in Ireland for such as small country and population!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Millwall fans have gathered around their local area to protect the place and locals :eek:

Yikes, that's probably the safest place in London tonight

Only a fool would take on that crowd and try to trash the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭norris_minor

Wertz wrote: »
    Coppers already admitting the initial version of events in the Duggan shooting was misleading . No shot fired from the gun he was carrying. Oh dear...can't say I'm really surprised. More grist for the mill....not that the looters even care about such an issue.

he was brandishing a gun?!! :/

if you are carrying shooter in public.. Shock horror - you might just get shot by the authorities.

In favour of turning guns on the folk brandishing em. telepathically bend it and make it look self inflicted as it was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Surely you mean the British National Front fans , :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Man uses plank against police....

http://yfrog.com/kkjmhqaj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

irish-stew wrote: »
    As it was pointed out earlier today, cant remember who by. The police service do not take orders from the goverment, unfortunatly they are bound hugely by policies, red tape, etc etc.

It was suggested in terms of the looting they were just going to let them get on with it, and then arrest them after reviewing CCTV. In my own opinion now, the looters have taken full advantage of this and have pushed the limits of what they can try and get away with, and at that point, the police lost control.
    Yes, last night the police were over stretched anyway to seriously deal with the looters and you dont want officers getting isolated from the main body .

Thing is we have to wait till bloody thursday before Cameron and Co decide what if any change in law takes place , so police take the soft approach for now but really, the looters should not be still having the upper hand ..so frustrating for eveybody including the police to watch .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

dfx- wrote: »
    Absolutely no surprise, except still I'm astonished at the amount of people prepared to believe the original story. Blindly.

Most people believe the police when they issue statements. The met have previous on this...but on the other hand the guy had a gun (not a replica apparently) but I have to reckon he wasn't as stupid as to brandish it at a trident team.
    This will light more touchpaper and further undermines the met.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

there is a serious amount of scum in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

irish-stew wrote: »
    Just seen that. Feared it could start.

All well and good if they are defending their homes and property, but if they start picking on a group who are not actully guilty of anything bar being in the wrong place at the wrong time, then it could get very messy.

If the wrong place is Currys and the wrong time is when its being cleaned out I won't cry to much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Good Sign at Tube

http://yfrog.com/z/kj3dgupj

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Serious lack of live footage on the news channels tonight.. it's disgraceful, this isn't why I risk jail by avoiding to pay my TV licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I'm only getting the chance to look at the footage of the riots today and I'm shocked tbh. It's like something you'd see in war footage from Iraq or Afghanistan. People being dragged out of cars, burned out of their homes etc! Completely unacceptable.

I think it's time to ditch the softly softly approach, it's obviously not working although I do understand why the police would take such an approach.

I would even suggest it might be time to bring in the Army because this is clearly more than any police force could handle alone.

I don't know the details of the incident that sparked this whole thing, anymore than anyone else, but I refuse to believe the police would have shot an innocent, law abiding man. There has to be more to it than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

I think it is time parents start doing their job.

It is sickeneing to see the amount of young ones ( some as young as 10,11) on the streets joining in this senseless riots. I think it is disturbing that kids that young are out on the streets by themselves ,let alone at such odd hours...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

if you are carrying shooter in public.. Shock horror - you might just get shot by the authorities.

In favour of turning guns on the folk brandishing em. telepathically bend it and make it look self inflicted as it was

I don't disagree with you necessarily, but you're jumping to conclussions too. Neither of us know the exact details of the incident...but we do know that the inital version of events the trident team came out with was misleading, for whatever reason. It all plays into the hands of those who use this as an excusew for the scenes we're seeing...and it somewhat vindicates those who initially marched on the Tottenham station on saturday evening...

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

why cant Uk Police liaise with FACEBOOK and use facebooks autotag feature (face recognition) to good use to id rioters. considering social media sites are benefiting the riot planners why cant social media help the POLICE tackle the rioters aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭RonBo88

the real action wont start until its dark, if there's going to be any that is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Rubber Bullets haven't been deployed by the British forces since 1975.

semantics:mad: rubber/plastic bullet kilt a kid called Downs (not sure of the spelling) in 1981

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Wertz wrote: »
    Most people believe the police when they issue statements. The met have previous on this...but on the other hand the guy had a gun (not a replica apparently) but I have to reckon he wasn't as stupid as to brandish it at a trident team.
    This will light more touchpaper and further undermines the met.

Yep, it undermines and adds to the their track record..I don't see why they couldn't have been honest on the Saturday evening and basically blanked them. They really do make their life so much more difficult than it has to be.

And this is before whether "a gun was found at the scene" translates to a drawn weapon or was it just in the car. If it turns out it was in the glove compartment or the boot, it'll set it off again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

A gun was found at the scene, he wasn't necessarily brandishing it, it could've been in the minicab he was in, could've been concealed behind his back. And since the police were dishonest originally who is to believe them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭decembersun77

Sooopie wrote: »

Well, in a population of 62 million, there would be many criminals and people not up to much. Sure in our little country and population, there is a lot! THere isn't enough prisons to keep them all in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

All I have left to say is, I'm just glad I don't live in London anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

RonBo88 wrote: »
    the real action wont start until its dark, if there's going to be any that is
    Sooopie wrote: »
    Nice to see yis have your fingers on the pulse ...:pac:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I think tonight is going to be the night that the violence starts to take lives. These vigilante teams, while i agree with their principles, will be sooo easy to rouse. I mean if there's two innocent black teenagers walking by who's to say that the vigilantes won't start on them?! Fighting fire with fire is going to be an awful tactic which will surely cause more damage to british streets.

I think this is going to set britain back 100 years in terms of racism. Working class people who have been too terrified to leave their houses are going to get angry at the streams of black people that sky news for some reason keep showing. The internet is ablaze with talk of this being all the fault of "the immigrants" and about how they should all be "deported" despite the fact that i'd wager that 99.999% of them are british citizens, born and raised. This new found hatred will live on after the riots I think and cause trouble for years to come.

The police need to do something now. Before it's too late, if it isn't already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

semantics:mad: rubber/plastic bullet kilt a kid called Downs (not sure of the spelling) in 1981

It was Sean Downes and it was in 1984. He was killed by a plastic bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I refuse to believe the police would have shot an innocent, law abiding man. There has to be more to it than that.

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Bambi wrote: »
    If the wrong place is Currys and the wrong time is when its being cleaned out I won't cry to much :)

I'm thinking more an ethnic group of lads hanging around minding their own business. Going by what been happening the last few days, and if people share some of the ignorant and miseducated beliefs that have been posted on here in the last few days, it could easily happen.

Advertisement