Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

On nights like these I dont miss London.

Thankfully its a very seldom disturbance, its just a shame that there is this yob culture that have no interest in the original cause. What happened last night had nothing to do with the protests against the original shooting in the week, Brixton is nearly on the other side of London FFS. Most of what happened in Tottenham on saturday night had nothing to do with the original protests either.

I hope the police and the courts come down really hard on all those involved in the looting, the voilence, the fires, etc etc. Peoples homes, property, their livelyhoods, have been destroyed over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

The Guardian are reporting the below as one of the 'organising' BBM messages which went round Blackberry-users yesterday:

Everyone from all sides of London meet up at the heart of London (central) OXFORD CIRCUS!!, Bare SHOPS are gonna get smashed up so come get some (free stuff!!!) **** the feds we will send them back with OUR riot! >:O
    Dead the ends and colour war for now so
    if you see a brother... SALUT!
    if you see a fed... SHOOT!
    We need more MAN then feds so Everyone run wild, all of london and others are invited! Pure terror and havoc & Free stuff....just smash shop windows and cart out da stuff u want! Oxford Circus!!!!! 9pm, we don't need pussyhole feds to run the streets and put our brothers in jail so tool up,
    its a free world so have fun running wild shopping;)
    Oxford Circus 9pm if u see a fed stopping a brother JUMP IN!!! EVERYONE JUMP IN **** will be lurking about, all blacked out we strike at 9:15pm-9:30pm, make sure ur there see you there. REMEMBA DA LOCATION!!! OXFORD CIRCUS!!!
    MUST REBROADCAST TO ALL CONTACTS!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Also the independent Big Green Book Shop, 3 mins further down towards Turnpike Lane.

Their blog had an interesting take on events

http://woodgreenbookshop.blogspot.com/

Every Cloud has a silver lining and all that, must take a gander over the Bank Holiday weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Oxford Circus 9pm if u see a fed stopping a brother JUMP IN!!! EVERYONE JUMP IN **** will be lurking about, all blacked out we strike at 9:15pm-9:30pm, make sure ur there see you there. REMEMBA DA LOCATION!!! OXFORD CIRCUS!!!
    MUST REBROADCAST TO ALL CONTACTS!!!"
    I do hope the "feds" opened up on them with full auto :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

I just overheard this gem between a few men talking about the riots in Tottenham.

"The only place that wasn't burnt out was White Hart Lane."

"No wonder. Sh!te doesn't burn!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Thomas828 wrote: »
    I just overheard this gem between a few men talking about the riots in Tottenham.

"The only place that wasn't burnt out was White Hart Lane."

"No wonder. Sh!te doesn't burn!"

Lucky you, had to endure a conversation in a shop yesterday where they was blaming the jews

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

A guide if your having fun trying to understand all these north london slang tweets and BBM :

http://www.timwoods.org/the-london-slang-dictionary-project/

So far:

BARE = many , lots

Blod - a mate, a friend

Feds — police :D

Clap*pin’ — out of date or worn out, usu*ally to describe attire or acces*sories, as in “man, my track*suit is clap*pin’. Gotta get down JJB Sport and buy (loot) a new one.” Also means tired out.

110s - Expen*sive train*ers that cost £110 or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

If this was happening in any other europen city like Berlin, Rome ,Madrid or Athens etc , the water cannons would have being turned on the mob .

Being blasted with water while running away with a tv , then ending up 20 feet away on your ass wouldn't be much fun ...for the looters .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Lucky you, had to endure a conversation in a shop yesterday where they was blaming the jews

That's probably down to a clip they kep showing on Sky News, looked like a bunch of Orthodox Jews with their hats/kippas and ringlets and a line of riot police squaring off, then the Orthodox lads took off running. Couldn't see if they were running from the police or rioters on the other side though.

prinz wrote: »
    That's probably down to a clip they kep showing on Sky News, looked like a bunch of Orthodox Jews with their hats/kippas and ringlets and a line of riot police squaring off, then the Orthodox lads took off running. Couldn't see if they were running from the police or rioters on the other side though.

Oh maybe that Tottenham has a large Jewish Community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Latchy wrote: »
    If this was happening in any other europen city like Berlin, Rome ,Madrid or Athens etc , the water cannons would have being turned on the mob .

Being blasted with water while running away with a tv , then ending up 20 feet away on your ass wouldn't be much fun ...for the looters .

Half the street was on fire, including buildings with people in them. The water supply was way too valuable to use in cannons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

prinz wrote: »
    That's probably down to a clip they kep showing on Sky News, looked like a bunch of Orthodox Jews with their hats/kippas and ringlets and a line of riot police squaring off, then the Orthodox lads took off running. Couldn't see if they were running from the police or rioters on the other side though.[/QUOTE

I was watching Sky News when that was live. The Jewish (and other peeps) were only watching what was going on. Then fireworks zoomed across the street from the right hand side of road. That's when the crowd started running.

Typical Sky News edit....things were not as they seemed! :rolleyes:

I wonder will Blackberry UK be under pressure to shut down its BBM (BlackBerry Messenger)service in London, untill the situation calms down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

Feds? FFS :rolleyes:

That's what you get with a generation reared by television.

Its an early kick off tonight ...Hackney is the venue ...crazy stuff !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Switch to live rounds. This would all be over in half an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

The police need to act now on the growing crowd. The more Sky/BBC broadcast this, the greater attention is being drawn in. The rioters from Tottenham and Enfield will now move to Hackney to join in.

Police in N.I would have started using rubber bullets by now...

P.S Somebody tell the woman on BBC to stop calling them 'Protestors'; Protestors dont smash bus windows...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Liber8or wrote: »
    Police in N.I would have started using rubber bullets by now...

If it were a certain group they'd have been using the plastic bullets the other night, if it were another group they would've done even less.

Switch to live rounds. This would all be over in half an hour.

It was a shooting that started the original peaceful protest.

I'd be for smashing heads together, but there would be absolute anarchy if live rounds were introduced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

irish-stew wrote: »
    It was a shooting that started the original peaceful protest.

I'd be for smashing heads together, but there would be absolute anarchy if live rounds were introduced.

These guys are cowardly opportunists, shoot at or wound a couple of them and the rest will go home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

This is crazy, just seen the police with dogs, let the dogs off the liase, if the people get their leg chewed off, good enough!

This is something you'd imagine seeing in the far east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

irish-stew wrote: »

Yeah but not for long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

WE are less than a generation away from both sides being heavily armed. It might even happen here. If these are gangs, then they may have the guns.

These guys are cowardly opportunists, shoot at or wound a couple of them and the rest will go home.

I agree with the cowardly comment, but the bleeding heart brigade would be all over it.

Whilst I would be totally against the riots, and understand that all the ones rioting have no interest in the original protest, live rounds would almost cause war against the police. The last thing they want is someone killed by a met bullet, but by all means go at them with every other weapon, water cannon, batons, sheilds etc. With tough custodial sentences for anyone either caught or organising rioting or looting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Shoot at them, and they will shoot back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Anybody know why KFC is one of the few places not being attacked by the mob?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

It's ridiculous. I got sent home a little early (work in London) because everyone's stressing their heads off..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Anybody know why KFC is one of the few places not being attacked by the mob?

After a hard days looting you need somewhere to eat and get the energies back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

useless inbreds, not even working in london half of em.

should get a water cannon at em and f**k em into the thames.

boyz in the hood...lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

In all the general mayhem, any reports if the Jews in the area are coming under attack?
    Singled out as a target? I think pogram is the word

Just one of the few things I know about Tottenham are the large amount of Jews there

Advertisement