Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

CiaranMT wrote: »
    What's the bigger picture?

A picture that is bigger than a smaller picture???:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,382 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Poor kid on his bike looked so scared there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Unfortunate headline from the Independent (UK)'s front page:
    "Police: we'll fight fire with fire"

What is that a bad headline? Would you rather see "We will fight fire with tissue"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

People need to stop blaming the riots on poverty or no education or oppression. These are young people with so many opportunities. Show them Somalia and see how desperate they are to riot. They have phones, and clothes, and food, and safety yet they choose to **** it all for a new TV or Tesco rice? They are not oppressed. Rioting is not their one chance to be heard. They are little dickheads. They are criminals and should be treated as such.

I never thought gangs of feckless young people could bring so many cities to their knees.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Happyman42 wrote: »
    And how are vigilantes going to stop it?
    You need to be able to see the bigger picture...vigilantes don't, as a rule, see the bigger picture.

I think the owner of the cornershop, his livelyhood, who now sees that his shop is protected by vigilantes doesnt really care about your bigger picture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Rioter with gun witnessed out and about..... http://i.imgur.com/hGTAq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

CorkMan wrote: »
    What is that a bad headline? Would you rather see "We will fight fire with tissue"?

The place was in flames last night.
    It's a wry observation about the statement's wording.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

yammycat wrote: »
    It was police brutality that started it so I guess even more brutality can fix it.

Shooting a known criminal who has a gun on him is hardly brutality. Pretty sensible response to the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Yobbo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Looks like its dying down a good bit.

• Advertisement

People talk about the economy being affected by the riots, well at least the sales of baseball bats have skyrocketed...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

There was a program on C4 (iirc) last week about kick -ass style local superhearoes that roam the streets of some uk towns and cities. Where are these guys now?:)

They all seemed bat**** crazy though, and more in the laugh at them way than the "oh **** I better not mess with him".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why can't pictures be posted as normal on AH threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

http://twitter.com/#!/tomfoot1
    Bizarro world in deserted Camden. Police are strolling about like couples down the champs élysées

http://twitter.com/#!/SuptPayneWMP
    Just doing a tour of Wolverhampton City Centre, deathly silent, hardly anybody around

Rioter with gun witnessed out and about..... http://i.imgur.com/hGTAq.jpg

Surely that falls in to the vigilante catagory? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Vigilantes will make the situation worse...it must be left to the police, acting impartially and without prejudice.

It's the only way. We in Ireland should know that simple truism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

It was police brutality that started it so I guess even more brutality can fix it.

No. Just no. Idiocy on the part of mindless scumbags started this.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭yammycat

robinph wrote: »
    Shooting a known criminal who has a gun on him is hardly brutality. Pretty sensible response to the situation.

Cold blooded murder is always brutality, the gun was probably planted too, it only took them 5 minutes to start the lies about him shooting first so nothing they say about the gun can be taken at face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

IsMiseLisa wrote: »
    People need to stop blaming the riots on poverty or no education or oppression. These are young people with so many opportunities. Show them Somalia and see how desperate they are to riot. They have phones, and clothes, and food, and safety yet they choose to **** it all for a new TV or Tesco rice? They are not oppressed. Rioting is not their one chance to be heard. They are little dickheads. They are criminals and should be treated as such.

And they have smashed up at least 3 charity shops, Oxfam Ealing, and Oxfam in Manchester and a children's charity shop in Ealing. They are really showing it to their rich oppressors, huh?

Hardly police brutality, a known criminal armed with a handgun finds himself in a situation with armed police officers who react. While not the ideal outcome its not police brutality. Were it a case off an unarmed, innocent civilian brutality cut down by over zelous trigger happy police officers then you may have a point but it wasn't. Rather it was an unfortunate situation which ended badly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Cold blooded murder is always brutality, the gun was probably planted too, it only took them 5 minutes to start the lies about him shooting first so nothing they say about the gun can be taken at face value.

Right. You're one of those fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

With the few details available, I won't exactly say Police brutality started it tbh....I think its more of a case of an error and an attempt to cover it up. I think the police were doing their job of pursuing a suspect and they panicked and adrenaline got in the way.

That, however does not give an excuse for the senseless, mindless looting and violent behaviour by the rioters. If they have to use force to quell this...seriously? then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭yammycat

Right. You're one of those fools.

reported for personal abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

• Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

CorkMan wrote: »
    People talk about the economy being affected by the riots, well at least the sales of baseball bats have skyrocketed...

Sales of batons up 40,000% on Amazon! LINK

Cold blooded murder is always brutality, .

I disagree. If theres a drug dealer wreakign havok in my area I'd fully support anyone that wants to off him. Prefeably not another dealer lookign to take his patch though.

Vigilantes will make the situation worse...it must be left to the police, acting impartially and without prejudice.

It's the only way. We in Ireland should know that simple truism.

But what if 3-4 groups of 8 youths are walking towards your neighborhood, and nearby police units are busy or if there is no units near? Are you supposed to let the scumbags wreck your shops, steal the products, and possibly torch some houses?

If anything, there might not be a need for violence if loads of people are protecting their neighborhood, that is a big enough deterrent in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Yeah, because it's worked so well up to now :rolleyes:
    And then a few days later confirmed he hadn't fired. Great lie-tellers they are :rolleyes:

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Sales of batons up 40,000% on Amazon! LINK

Yep :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

reported for personal abuse

Tough man.

Advertisement