Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

blackdog2 wrote: »
    The police and Govt representatives talking about people facing the full repercussions of the law, what has that done to help prevent this?!

You try and live a higher standard, difficult as it is.

Try not to opt for the easier life and comparing yourself to scumbag politicians. Robbing, being criminals, is the easy option for these lads.

In other words, you rise above scumbag standards and not say, sure they're all the same, I might as well be.

You don't get Ipods and 42" Tv's for it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

grizzly wrote: »
    Not trying to be difficult, but what's so good about Sangat TV? Guys standing around talking :confused:

They drive around Birmingham in the car with cameras... Last night it was excellent TV - they were following the rioting. Watching it all live.

Oh and they did give a cop a lift in their car...

And they make religion look very COOL :D:rolleyes:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

I'd say they aint too cool in this weather with all the hair/turbans & beards.
    Some of the ones that I know tend to talk up their religion fairly well but they can be fairly liberal with their rules when it suits them.

Liberal with their rules - shame on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Already, and over the next while, there'll be a lot of talk about why this has happened, what the contributing issues are, why the youth feel this way, what policies have lead to this etc etc etc.

The important thing to remember is that by and large, those out on the streets these past few nights have been children. Like any child, they test the boundaries, and in absence of rules they'll make them up as they go. If they can get away with something, many of them will do it. In a city of 8 million odd, it's not the children safe at home that'll be making the news, it's those few out and able to run amuck just because they can, that will be.

Before all the political head butting ignites, we should remember that really at the end of the day what we're talking about here is a child rearing issue. The kids themselves don't care about policy...because they're too young to understand a thing about it. Fingers will be pointed and a lot of adult, grown up concepts will be applied to these kids that will go right over their own heads.

Chav culture has been present and strong both in the UK and here for the past number of years, and really has ignited over the past few nights. And no matter how heavy the police come down on them, certainly won't go away.

Why doesn't the same youth hooligan culture exist in other European cities? There should be some strong analysis done in to the root causes of what causes such a disregarding, aggravated and feckless proportion of our young people.

And do remember that that is who we're dealing with here - young people who are just out for the laugh, the free plasma TVs and the bragging rights. But the adults have produced them, and should be ready to admit responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

waveform wrote: »
    KPH,

Your post has reminded me that i really need to start watching "The Venus Project" that was recommended by a few friends.

I like the idea of replacing a money based economy with a resource based economy.

No more rich and poor, no more divide between social classes, no more social classes full stop!

All i heard was the basic concepts of the organization, but it sounded intriguing to say the least.

All that type of stuff is really interesting and probably a long term solution but is currently highly impracticable at the moment.. Unfortunately :(

Maybe a good start would be for Cameron to stop calling them "Thugs and Criminals". If they keep being called thugs and criminals they will keep acting accordingly. The newspapers and media likewise. It's not like they are going to wake up in the morning and grow a conscious all the branding and stereotyping is just fanning the flames....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

Can someone link me please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭decembersun77

CiaranMT wrote: »
    No they're not. Things were worse during WWII.

It was a very very bad time in history. This is bad at another deeper level and its subtle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Cianos wrote: »
    Why doesn't the same youth hooligan culture exist in other European cities? There should be some strong analysis done in to the root causes of what causes such a disregarding, aggravated and feckless proportion of our young people.

I blame the parents, many of them most be chavs/scumbags aswell tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭norris_minor

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sangat TV is now trending on Twitter in Ireland and UK.

Dara O'Briain is even watching it now.

Theres going to be a lot of dissappointed people when the riots are over and they go back to regular Sikh lifestyle TV :D . I envisage a sharpe drop off in viewership numbers,

Funfact: Sangat TV is a registered charity

but funny how a nothing channel provided the most insightful view for the evening. however I may still revisit; beats the oversaturation of drab gray chav lifestyle TV masquerading as entertainment

Police: "we will fight fire with fire." let that be a lesson to any more armed "urban yoof" lifestylers. I think they did the right thing trying to make it appear he fired at them; for even if he did the ball is still in his court. It always is, on the side of the perpetrator. I know I'd not question it if one of fat freddy's goons out here met the same dubious fate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

nuxxx wrote: »
    I blame the parents, many of them most be chavs/scumbags aswell tho

For sure...but the same question still applies.

• Advertisement

Can someone link me please?

http://magictv.co/ not alot happening tho atm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I want to use Western Timber and Builders Merchants next time I have to have work done in the house. I wonder would they give good rates for help with the clean up from the 'riots'.

Seemingly trouble kicking off in Leicester now. And reports on Sky News saying shots were fired at a cop in Birmingham.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

k.p.h wrote: »
    All that type of stuff is really interesting and probably a long term solution but is currently highly impracticable at the moment.. Unfortunately :(

Maybe a good start would be for Cameron to stop calling them "Thugs and Criminals". If they keep being called thugs and criminals they will keep acting accordingly. The newspapers and media likewise. It's not like they are going to wake up in the morning and grow a conscious all the branding and stereotyping is just fanning the flames....

But they are thugs and criminals, people are just being honest about it now. Call a spade a spade.

The fact that they have been called other things previously has given them their victim mentality. I think the events of the past few days will turn a lot of people away from their "plight".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

It was a very very bad time in history. This is bad at another deeper level and its subtle
    Could you take it somewhere else. Literally no one wants to talk about the bible on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well it's your life but I don't believe my ancestors are monkeys.

Have a look at this

Please expand on your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    Liberal with their rules - shame on them!

Well dressing up and chanting is all fine & dandy but EG, I would say the lads working in the Sofa factory might not feel they are getting an honest days pay for an honest days work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭decembersun77

...and did God put the dinosaur skeletons on earth to test our faiths too?

No, that was before man was created. Why do you think your ancestors are dinosaurs too?

Cianos wrote: »
    For sure...but the same question still applies.

True, you're 100% right. Maybe its the drink/drug culture in the UK and Ireland, or the social payment system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

This was posted on Bookface
    RIP Broken Britain...You went soft on discipline!..You went soft on immigration! Parents were told...'No you can't smack the kids'....Teachers were prevented from chastising kids in schools...The police couldn't clip a troublemaker round the ear.. Kids had rights blah blah blah.. Well done… Britain..You shall reap what you sow.. We have lost a whole generation

My first instinct is Were all F**ked if thats the case. Considering . we have the same laws. thankfully we dont have a population of 24million est' But still. :(

Im still shocked that Saturday morning i had been walking around some of the places that no longer are standing :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

No, that was before man was created. Why do you think your ancestors are dinosaurs too?

Please go to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I'm watching Sangat and then it switches to SKY!

Wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Tried to watch sangat on ustream on my phone and seems to be some sorta prayer meeting on it now. Think will donate a few quid to them for such a great service though.

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    I want to use Western Timber and Builders Merchants next time I have to have work done in the house. I wonder would they give good rates for help with the clean up from the 'riots'.

I'd be more of a 'buttered Ghee' man myself.

Well dressing up and chanting is all fine & dandy but EG, I would say the lads working in the Sofa factory might not feel they are getting an honest days pay for an honest days work.

I'd would say your ma might not feel she is getting an honest days pay for an honest days work.

See what I did there?

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    I'd wouldd say your ma might not feel she is getting an honest days pay for an honest days work.

See what I did there?

Apart from coming accross as a clown,no.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

This was posted on Bookface

My first instinct is Were all F**ked if thats the case. Considering . we have the same laws. thankfully we dont have a population of 24million est' But still. :(

Im still shocked that Saturday morning i had been walking around some of the places that no longer are standing :(

Load of rubbish to be honest. To claim we've "lost a whole generation" is completely deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If you do your research, you'll find that they are.

Creationalists believe that everything was created in 6 days and then a day of rest. So there were no actual dinosaurs, which we now all know to be true.

Evolution is a fact even now accepted by the Catholic Church.

If you have difficulty with this then you should just think of evolution as God's upgrade system!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Cianos

TBH it's so complex thats it's not possible to get to the bottom of it without stopping the whole human race in it's tracks and saying wait a minuet "whats going on".

The study of economic-sociology and sociology itself would probably be the most fruitful subjects when it comes to understanding this.

• Advertisement

Apart from coming accross as a clown,no.

Didn't think you would.

Advertisement