Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That Sangat channel said 2 brothers have died, that's awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Someone said that the two people who were killed (who Sangat just said were brothers) were not rioters or looters, but locals trying to fight off the rioters. Is there any source for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

cocoshovel wrote: »
    1992 riots were far worse than the usual superbowl ones.

I know just pointing out riots are far from uncommon in the U.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Laika1986 wrote: »
    It's more widespread in a nutshell

is it really more widespread though? London is alot quieter by all accounts, although their are flash mobs in other cities but not as crazy as last night

I think there are alot of folks on here almost willing for their to be more "action".

The increased police presence has had an effect. They are still pretty useless but sheer numbers has made it difficult for looters to operate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Someone said that the two people who were killed (who Sangat just said were brothers) were not rioters or looters, but locals trying to fight off the rioters. Is there any source for that?

sangat tv live

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

No source yet. BBC, SKY have not picked it up yet.

nuxxx wrote: »
    sangat tv live

Ah, I'm watching it but only found a working stream there a few minutes ago, must have missed it.

Jayob10 wrote: »

I think there are alot of folks on here almost willing for their to be more "action".

The live reporting showed some pretty shocking stuff tonight tbh, in the public media though it seems as if things are calming down abit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

sangat tv live

If this is true, it's absolutely appalling. People are out of their f*cking minds. By the way (may have been mentioned already), but the two kids were brothers. Terribly, terribly sad. This is all just making me so angry. :(

Ah, I'm watching it but only found a working stream there a few minutes ago, must have missed it.

the brothers, brother was shown live breaking down outside the hospital and the reporter broke into tears and killed the camera, was really intence, was loads of non rioters outside too, might setoff a huge revolt against the scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

car accident deaths mentioned on twitter

http://twitter.com/#!/search/birmingham

If this is true, it's absolutely appalling. People are out of their f*cking minds. By the way (may have been mentioned already), but the two kids were brothers. Terribly, terribly sad. This is all just making me so angry. :(

:eek:
    Missed that too, about how old are we talking here?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Ouijaboard

is it really more widespread though? London is alot quieter by all accounts, although their are flash mobs in other cities but not as crazy as last night

The increased police presence has had an effect. They are still pretty useless but sheer numbers has made it difficult for looters to operate.

London should be, if 16K cops can't hold it together then they've got serious issues. Random opportunistic looting and trashing of various other locations going on but it seems to be half-hearted, last sting of a dying wasp sort of stuff.

I don't think we are willing on the action but it has become something like car crash tv over the past night or so and now it's been dampened down suddenly. We know sky etc, they would try have blanket coverage of street urination if they could get away with it.

The big question I'm wondering now is what happens when it is not possible to keep 16k cops on the streets of london, which will happen soon enough...does it start again then?

The live reporting showed some pretty shocking stuff tonight tbh, in the public media though it seems as if things are calming down abit

either theres not enough "action" for sky to show it, or else police have enforced it upon them not to show the riots and looting for fear of more copycat attacks.

I for one don't think any laws have been passed in the UK overnight restricting the media the right to freedom of speech, and further to that I don't think sky give 2 f*cks if there are copycat attacks. They are chasing ratings.

I'm guessing London is a safer place tonight (thank god) due to the increased presence of police. And the police have things under control elsewhere minus the odd flashpoint.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Mid 20s I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Road traffic collision confirmed here.... https://twitter.com/#!/WMPolice

Nothing mentioned about deaths or that its involved with the riots yet though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Yes it is more widespread. It's very hard to gauge just how much is going on right now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

cougar1 wrote: »
    What the hell is going on with the bbc/sky over the past few hours? Have they really been censored from providing live feeds? I thought that was a joke! The are still replaying reports from 8 o clock last evening...not one live camera anywhere, this is ridiculous!
    Yes, i magine they are not going in for their own safety or were told by the police not to. Obviously correct, but it doesn't appease the voyuer in me!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Ouijaboard

This Sangat tv is a bit mental, everytime I turn it on they are praying or talking some rubbish, then something dramatic happens (which we all miss) and it's back to praying and talking crap as if dramatic event never happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Come on Sky
    I'm watching videos I saw hours ago and that video that was on facebook yesterday
    And now interviews from this afternoon

You'd learn more from boards then Sky News

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    Yes it is more widespread. It's very hard to gauge just how much is going on right now though.

may i ask how you know this exactly apart from mere speculation?

News agencies are not reporting it, so we have no way of possibly knowing.

I reckon if there was widespread violence and carnage then sky would be all over it like a rash.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Reiss Avfc

going to birmingham tomorrow, everyone get pressing this button please!
    http://make-everything-ok.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I fear for Birmingham after the death of those two Asian brothers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I'm saying 'kids', as in they were young people. They weren't middle-aged or elderly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

may i ask how you know this exactly apart from mere speculation?

News agencies are not reporting it, so we have no way of possibly knowing.

I reckon if there was widespread violence and carnage then sky would be all over it like a rash.

Birmingham confirmed, Manchester and Salford confirmed, Gloucester confirmed, Liverpool confirmed, Police station in Nottingham (I think) firebombed, London quiet but bits and pieces here and there. It has spread to previously unaffected areas, which has been confirmed if you wish to check around.

Bodhisopha wrote: »

ok does anyone know the specific story about these Asian brothers?

nobody knows if they were even looters themselves surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Reiss Avfc

I'll be sure to keep you all posted if anything happens around where i'm staying, most of my family live only like a 5 minute drive from aston!

I can only imagine the Beeb and Sky have been advised to not show live feeds or anything like that by the police or the government. Probably in their best interests too. If the apparent scene of the brother's reaction to the death of his two siblings was shown live on either of the stations they would probably be awash with complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Why? You aren't saying it will turn into a war are you?

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    Birmingham confirmed, Manchester and Salford confirmed, Gloucester confirmed, Liverpool confirmed, Police station in Nottingham (I think) firebombed, London quiet but bits and pieces here and there. It has spread to previously unaffected areas, which has been confirmed if you wish to check around.

confirmed where?

You think a police station in Nottingham was firebombed??

good god

some people are still looking for their fix by the looks of things.

Advertisement