Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I just don't get it. I really don't. They're not protesting about anything. There's no cause they're fight for. They just want to cause chaos and go robbing.

It literally is the attack the chavs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

4Sheets wrote: »
    Iran urging UK to inverstigate Human rights abuses well I never:D

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16046569

Best troll ever by Iran,priceless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Well im sure they have enough of the Brits meddling in their affairs, nice one on the payback Iran:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Did they ever try that man with the little moustache who caused a ruckus around Europe about 70 years ago? Must be innocent so.

Can't believe it has taken this long to Godwin this thread.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Well im sure they have enough of the Brits meddling in their affairs, nice one on the payback Iran:)
    Yes, who knew that an autocratic theocracy that ruthlessly represses its own people could have such a sense of humour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

The Libyans are also trolling:
    Libyan state-run Al-Jamahiriyah television ran an English language broadcast addressed to rioting inner city dwellers urging them to “defeat this British regime” which “killed their brothers” by leading Nato military operations to overthrow Colonel Muammar Gaddafi.

Yusuf Shakir, the presenter of “Homeland’s Desire”, pledged that Col. Gaddafi would defend black people who “suffered racial discrimination” and that Libyans would hold demonstrations holding up pictures of Mark Duggan, the man shot by police in Tottenham.

Bob Mugabe is also at it:
    But it was the criticism of Zimbabwe’s leader Robert Mugabe, more used to being the subject of international condemnation over his controversial rule, that illustrated just how humiliating Monday’s scenes were for the UK authorities.

In an address to his regime’s armed forces, Mr Mugabe railed against his country’s former colonial master and used the London riots to demand it stop meddling in Zimbabwean affairs.

“Britain I understand is on fire, London especially and we hope they can extinguish their fire, pay attention to their internal problems and to that fire which is now blazing all over, and leave us alone,” he said.

“We do not have any fire here and we do not want them to continue to create unnecessary problems in our country. We want peace, and the people of Zimbabwe want peace.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8692077/London-riots-spark-shock-and-gloating-around-the-world.html

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Remember these sort are the overwhelming majority up and down the land and are now taken as the regular unassuming joe soap regular guy a person would; even should pretty much be expected to become because society has become desensitized to the sector of youth culture that they started out as two decade ago. It's a zombie-like idiot contagion alright but you don't get sucked in now; actually have to pull yourself out. There is no minority that can match their numbers not even if you combined the entire non-skank population. no amount of police will ever be enough; and army to boot though I suspect a lot of them are chav too. combined with elements of an inherent national psyche it really does spell big trouble for the united kinfdom.

but essentially This Is England (2011) and they are utilizing fantastic new communicae methods to hook up to burn and loot, murder, threaten, terrorize women children and old folk all the while stretching and misleading he force in overwhelming numbers. They are pretty much almost everyone, everywhere, at once. and they have realized it

..so it's survival of the fittest; youngest generally and its general disrespect in their quest for respect. Which they have every right to demand, of course.. young and strong as they are. age, wisdom and experience are so last century.

.. Y'all scared? :D

you seem to be enjoying this a little too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Remember these sort are the overwhelming majority up and down the land and are now taken as the regular unassuming joe soap regular guy a person would; even should pretty much be expected to become because society has become desensitized to the sector of youth culture that they started out as two decade ago. It's a zombie-like idiot contagion alright but you don't get sucked in now; actually have to pull yourself out. There is no minority that can match their numbers not even if you combined the entire non-skank population. no amount of police will ever be enough; and army to boot though I suspect a lot of them are chav too. combined with elements of an inherent national psyche it really does spell big trouble for the united kinfdom.

but essentially This Is England (2011) and they are utilizing fantastic new communicae methods to hook up to burn and loot, murder, threaten, terrorize women children and old folk all the while stretching and misleading he force in overwhelming numbers. They are pretty much almost everyone, everywhere, at once. and they have realized it

..so it's survival of the fittest; youngest generally and its general disrespect in their quest for respect. Which they have every right to demand, of course.. young and strong as they are. age, wisdom and experience are so last century.

.. Y'all scared? :D

erm, not really. Last time I looked, the rioting scangers were in the minority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

..so it's survival of the fittest; youngest generally and its general disrespect in their quest for respect. Which they have every right to demand, of course.. young and strong as they are.

Respect is earned and maintained through an individual's actions.

Acting like a lowlife thug will ensure that their "demand" is invalid, and rightly so.

A quick look at the previous "respect" that the catholic church, bankers and politicians used to demand - and got - will show what happens when you give respect to those who don't deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Those 2 people that died last night, sky news haven't reported on them yet? Any more word on what happened or how the third guy is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Those 2 people that died last night, sky news haven't reported on them yet? Any more word on what happened or how the third guy is?

Dead I believe, pretty sure there is a comment on it a page or two back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Respect is earned and maintained through an individual's actions.

Acting like a lowlife thug will ensure that their "demand" is invalid, and rightly so.

A quick look at the previous "respect" that the catholic church, bankers and politicians used to demand - and got - will show what happens when you give respect to those who don't deserve it.

Stupid analogy altogether. The instances you mention in your last paragraph are all basically middle class professions or vocations that would have been treated with respect from the beginning. The scobes on the street would never have been given respect. They've never tried to earn it because they've never seen the benefit of it.

Stupid analogy altogether. The instances you mention in your last paragraph are all basically middle class professions or vocations that would have been treated with respect from the beginning. The scobes on the street would never have been given respect. They've never tried to earn it because they've never seen the benefit of it.

I was replying to a post that claimed that they had "every right to demand" respect.

They don't. Especially because of their actions.

And my point was that neither do those that I mentioned deserve any respect.

Respect should be earned.

And if they haven't bothered to look so see what the benefits of respect (including self-respect) are, then that's not anyone's oversight other than their own.

The UK riots: the psychology of looting | Zoe Williams | Comment is free | The Guardian

About as good a piece as I've seen on it. When your life is defined with possessions and having the latest iPod it doesn't have a lot going for it. Don Draper would be proud.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Maybe the point Liam is trying to make, and this is my take on it, is that we shouldn't automatically be giving people respect until they have earned it. No matter what profession/level of socio-economic class they belong to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Dead I believe, pretty sure there is a comment on it a page or two back.

Breaking news says that the third man died this morning:

http://breakingnews.ie/world/three-killed-in-birmingham-trying-to-protect-businesses-516018.html

Looks like they were out trying to protect the petrol station.

Maybe the point Liam is trying to make, and this is my take on it, is that we shouldn't automatically be giving people respect until they have earned it. No matter what profession/level of socio-economic class they belong to.

Absolutely right.

Having just finished the coffee I also want to clarify that any one group should also not be given disrespect (a.k.a. prejudice) until they have proven that they deserve that.

So basically the starting point for everyone should be neutral, and their actions and attitude (not their status or background or ethnicity or whatever) should dictate how we treat them.

I was replying to a post that claimed that they had "every right to demand" respect.

They don't. Especially because of their actions.

And my point was that neither do those that I mentioned deserve any respect.

Respect should be earned.

And if they haven't bothered to look so see what the benefits of respect (including self-respect) are, then that's not anyone's oversight other than their own.

Respect should be there from the beginning, it shouldn't have to be earned. If you mess around and lose it, then you know how shameful that experience can. If you were never given respect to start off with why you bother to earn it?

cocoshovel wrote: »

Three killed in Birmingham 'trying to protect businesses' | BreakingNews.ie

Third guy died too.

Probably riots related, hopefully not race related.

Problem is many do rate you by by social class.

• Advertisement

Absolutely right.

Having just finished the coffee I also want to clarify that any one group should also not be given disrespect (a.k.a. prejudice) until they have proven that they deserve that.

So basically the starting point for everyone should be neutral, and their actions and attitude (not their status or background or ethnicity or whatever) should dictate how we treat them.

How do you treat people neutrally? You either have respect for them or you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Did they ever try that man with the little moustache who caused a ruckus around Europe about 70 years ago? Must be innocent so.

Exactly. And everyone knows that Charlie Chaplin was unfairly driven out of the States. Excellent point

• Registered Users Posts: 44 spooky2009

It's so sad , from what I can gather the local Shik& Muslim community were defending their communities and business from the rioters- it was brave of them to do so, and I thought earlier yest how nice it was that Muslims got a bit of good press for once!(
    This is from the guardian:
    A man has been arrested and a car impounded following the crash near a mosque in the Dudley Road area of England's second city. Neighbours said the men had just left the mosque and were among large numbers of local people determined not to allow the fluid series of grab-and-run attacks in the city centre to spread to their area.
    Unconfirmed reports suggested that two of the men were brothers. The BBC has interviewed the father of another victim, Haroon Jahan, 21.
    Emergency ambulances found around 80 people already trying to help the victims when they arrived at the scene, which is close to a petrol station on Dudley Road. Throughout Tuesday, large numbers of British Asians had gathered outside shops and other businesses in Handsworth, Lozells and other inner-city areas, sometimes in tense face-offs with small groups of mostly Afro-Caribbean youths."
    The big news stations aren't covering it in case it fuels further violence with tensions high in the area, but tbh people just seem to be pissed off that the murders are not being given any attention

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Lot of buzz around Twitter and whatnot about people just having enough of this **** now that people have been murdered.

Here's the payback for creating a welfare class and turning your police into social workers. You offered a leg up to a certain sector of society and they just turned feral.

I'm beginning to think that this could kick off over here if there's a couple of more bad nights in England because we have the same breed of people over here. Our scummers will see how far they can push the envelope.

Lot of buzz around Twitter and whatnot about people just having enough of this **** now that people have been murdered.

Here's the payback for creating a welfare class and turning your police into social workers. You offered a leg up to a certain sector of society and they just turned feral.

I'm beginning to think that this could kick off over here if there's a couple of more bad nights in England because we have the same breed of people over here. Our scummers will see how far they can push the envelope.

Difference here is that the Guards wouldn't take a softly-softly approach, but would wade in and crack skulls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Vigilantism will kick in pretty quick, people here would have learned lessons from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Difference here is that the Guards wouldn't take a softly-softly approach, but would wade in and crack skulls.

I would hope/ think so but wouldn't want the theory to be tested either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

And then get handed a desk job for their efforts.:mad:

Nothing of the sort. Difference here is that London is roughly 10 times the size of Dublin (the great Manchester area has a higher population than the Republic of Ireland) and has much higher concentrations of poorer people living together. Also mobiles have been used as a tool to stay one step ahead of the police. Dublin just isn't large enough imo for this to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Respect should be there from the beginning, it shouldn't have to be earned. If you mess around and lose it, then you know how shameful that experience can. If you were never given respect to start off with why you bother to earn it?

+1
    Was going to post something similar myself but couldn't phrase it right.

Would rather be disappointed by people occaisionally than live a life of cynicism !

Advertisement