Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ch750536
    Not where I lived.

Heard of the bus?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Paparazzo wrote: »
    It's been said before that they just don't want to work. The concept of working is alien to them, they had it too handy getting benefits for too long.

lol re:Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From yesterday

about a minute in there's a clip from this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

ch750536 wrote: »
    Not really.You dont see the rest of the world you see what is around you. FACT - The uk is the country with the widest gap with regards to wealth in Europe and that gap is growing.

So what? They didn't get rich by doing nothing. You have to get up off your arse and work. Start small and build.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

mike65 wrote: »
    ch750536

Heard of the bus?
    Yep. Seen one too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

1132: BBC reporter at Highbury Magistrates Court John Brain tells BBC 5 live the first person who appeared in the dock this morning was a 31-year-old teacher called Alexis Bailey. She pleaded guilty to being part of the looting of the Richer Sounds store in Croydon.

That would be awkward, running into your teacher while looting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Not really.You dont see the rest of the world you see what is around you. FACT - The uk is the country with the widest gap with regards to wealth in Europe and that gap is growing.

Hardly surprising when a good percentage of the bottom of the scale are too worthless and work-shy to do anything about the predicament other than complain and riot at the drop of a hat.

If you want something, earn it. Don't take it just because some social psychologist tells you it's alright to do so because your rec center closed down and they aren't paying you to go to school any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It's been said before that they just don't want to work. The concept of working is alien to them, they had it too handy getting benefits for too long.

Also in these areas, their idea's of working is becoming the likes of a rapper, tv presenter, music producer or some other sexy job that gives them glory and fame. They dont seem to realise that if you work hard in a retail job or in the catering industry then in 10-15 years you could have your own company car and a nice semi-detached gaff in a better area. They want the bling and they want it instantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    No, there isn't.

Apologies, according to wikipedia its metropolitan population it's 12,875,000
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_areas_by_population

And Dublin's metropolitan population is 1,801,040
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin

If we break it down to pure city population
    London is 7,825,200
    Dublin is 525,383

Still a vast difference you'll agree.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    1132: BBC reporter at Highbury Magistrates Court John Brain tells BBC 5 live the first person who appeared in the dock this morning was a 31-year-old teacher called Alexis Bailey. She pleaded guilty to being part of the looting of the Richer Sounds store in Croydon.

That would be awkward, running into your teacher while looting.

Well there is a great example to the yoof, she is now out of a job may well do a spell inside will have that against her name fro the rest of her life. May have just alienated her partner and family.

All for one moment of avaricious madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

I'll give you that about the gap. Populations are always more content the less of a difference there is between rich an poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Apologies, according to wikipedia its metropolitan population it's 12,875,000
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_areas_by_population

And Dublin's metropolitan population is 1,801,040
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin

If we break it down to pure city population
    London is 7,825,200
    Dublin is 525,383

Still a vast difference you'll agree.

Of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Also in these areas, their idea's of working is becoming the likes of a rapper, tv presenter, music producer or some other sexy job that gives them glory and fame. They dont seem to realise that if you work hard in a retail job or in the catering industry then in 10-15 years you could have your own company car and a nice semi-detached gaff in a better area. They want the bling and they want it instantly.

Absolutely. Look at the Turks and much of the Asian community. Running small shops and businesses, working hard, kids following in footsteps. It shows that riots are NOT an inevitable result of having poor segments of the population. It is the results of feckless lazy families who have been given handouts from society for 3 generations and have no interest in doing any work or study

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

mike65 wrote: »
    Well there is a great example to the yoof, she is now out of a job may well do a spell inside will have that against her name fro the rest of her life. May have just alienated her partner and family.

All for one moment of avaricious madness.

She may have already done that before (same name)
    Teacher banned over ‘inappropriate relationship’ with pupil:o
    http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/teacher_banned_over_inappropriate_relationship_with_pupil_1_548839?ot=archant.PrintFriendlyPageLayout.ot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

very boring night on riot front, had microwave popcorn ready to go when I got in all for nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

DominoDub wrote: »
    She have already done that before
    http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/teacher_banned_over_inappropriate_relationship_with_pupil_1_548839?ot=archant.PrintFriendlyPageLayout.ot
    Wow, if that's the same person, she must be a proper f*ckwit.

http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6050869

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that is so misleading, i was expecting filth

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Discussion on radio this morn ire can have the same situation if there's not things in place,kev myers wrote an great piece in today's sindo *not up their site yet* attacking the culture of benefit system in ire/uk and the careless parenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

DominoDub wrote: »
    She may have already done that before (same name)

If it was a male teacher he'd be on the sex register and would have faced jail time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

biko wrote: »

shít!

I recognise that guy with the beard in the third picture. any idea how i report him to police

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

If you ask me (and don't laugh), one of the things that we have that the English don't have is an organization like the GAA!

That's not to say that all this 541t couldn't happen here. But considering we wouldn't even get off our arses when all our money was being given away to French, German, Scandanavian etc banks, it probably wouldnt'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Great news reported on BBC that the magistrates court are referring looters and rioters to the crown court, as it can pass longer sentences - 10 years against 6 months maximum from the magistrates. Onviously being taken very seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Laois_Man wrote: »
    If you ask me (and don't laugh), one of the things that we have that the English don't have is an organization like the GAA!

I'm not laughing, but I am baffled :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Max Hastings in the Daily Mail today here

While I wouldn't agree with everything he said, I think this is a pretty convincing summary of where the UK is and what it might do to mend itself.
    They are an absolute deadweight upon society, because they contribute nothing yet cost the taxpayer billions. Liberal opinion holds they are victims, because society has failed to provide them with opportunities to develop their potential.
    Most of us would say this is nonsense. Rather, they are victims of a perverted social ethos, which elevates personal freedom to an absolute, and denies the underclass the discipline — tough love — which alone might enable some of its members to escape from the swamp of dependency in which they live.
    Only education — together with politicians, judges, policemen and teachers with the courage to force feral humans to obey rules the rest of us have accepted all our lives — can provide a way forward and a way out for these people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Laois_Man wrote: »

Lacking this solution?

He handles it well, Tipp should snap him up for the half back line

Edit: damn you mike, beat me to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Blisterman wrote: »

They have opportunities 99% of the world's population would envy.

Agree 100%....but these folk don't see that, all they see is what is relative to their own world view. They live in a world of instant gratification where money magically appears every week whether you or your parents work or not, where the cult of wealth is celebrated non stop in the media, tabloid newspapers, sports (especially soccer), music (particularly US hip hop)...all this stuff is so in their face that they all think they deserve their slice of the pie...their bit of instant gratification, and this was one of their chances to simply take it.
    I'm not trying to apologise for it, but I'm trying to paint a picture of where this mindset is arising and whether you or I think it's wrong doesn't matter a damn to them...they want a slice of what "everyone" else has (that everyone being the set of values and the people who espouse them that modern celbrity culture srrounds them with)...most have no work and plenty of idle time to fill...recreational rioting and free stuff is a double windfall.

Like I said way back down the thread, the genie is out of the bottle now...the gangs know they can do this type of thing almost at will and tackling a mindset that has attained that knowledge will be pretty hard to tackle. Heavy policing alone won't tackle it...I don't know what will. Lots of strongly worded daily mail articles certainly won't, finger wagging by politicians won't...this is the new norm; it was always the norm (gang sub culture isn't new), it's just stepped up a level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

LordSutch wrote: »
    I'm not laughing, but I am baffled :rolleyes:

I have nephews - they have mates, my mates kids.....they're all off the streets - they're all occupied all Summer in GAA camps, training, playing games. It occupies them physically AND prevents them going into a rut mentally.

If we were in England, they'd be hanging around, bored out of their trees and in the middle of all this crap!

Advertisement