Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EggsAckley

biko wrote: »

Is it that their faces are distorted with wanton greed or are looters in general a bunch of ugly fuggers?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I have nephews - they have mates, my mates kids.....they're all off the streets - they're all occupied all Summer in GAA camps, training, playing games. It occupies them physically AND prevents them going into a rut mentally.

If we were in England, they'd be hanging around, bored out of their trees and in the middle of all this crap!

What about soccer camps etc.... in England?

Plenty of kids here also hanging about, bored etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

mike65 wrote: »

We need a few more people like Jason over there to sort the scum out :D

Saw that movie the other night btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

Max Hastings in the Daily Mail today here

Yes, what a fine fellow Max Hastings is. :cool:

Edit - Is that a picture of a child robbing a bottle of buckfast or a bottle of wine? I thought it was a bottle of buckfast earlier. ****ing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23977178-londoners-unite-to-reclaim-their-ransacked-streets.do

Police today praised Londoners' "extreme bravery" as extraordinary acts of kindness and courage in the face of the mobs were revealed.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Steve Kavanagh singled out youth leaders and others as having "an enormous impact" in helping his officers by confronting gangs of masked youths.

But he also warned against people taking the law into their own hands saying small pockets of vigilantes were hampering the police operation.

His comments came after a relatively peaceful night in the capital with only minor flashpoints of trouble in Canning Town and Tottenham.

Mr Kavanagh said: "We had youth workers who were confronting masked groups and arguing with them. We have had examples of people putting out fires and pulling burning bins from beneath buildings. There were groups of individuals out there rowing and talking to youngsters saying you should not be doing this. There were parents telling children to come home.

"This was communities taking action and they had an enormous impact."

In the worst-hit areas of the city, residents used Facebook and Twitter - the same social networks that fanned three days of rioting - to rally local people and take back control from the looters and thugs.

Mother-of-four Penny Henshaw, 41, was among a group of people who protected property in Enfield.

She said: "This is our community and no one's going to destroy it. My gran and granddad fought in the Second World War and we're not going to let people walk all over us now."

In Southall, up to 300 residents came together outside the main Sikh temples to defy the yobs.
    Mr K Singh, a 33-year-old security guard who is working on a summer camp with youths at the temple, said: "I've been here since 3pm and will stay here as long as needed."

A restaurateur in Dalston whose defence of his premises became a YouTube sensation told how he was determined not to give into the yobs.

Kaya Huseyin was among 250 business owners who scared off the looters as they tore down Kingsland Road.

He said: "There were 250 of us and around 60 of them. They were carrying sticks and I saw some with knives, but we had the numbers and we used our fists. We fought with them and they ran away."

Meanwhile a family trapped in their home as rioters hacked at their door with an axe have spoken of their gratitude to neighbours who saved them.

David Heatley, 24, fought to hold back a mob trying to break into his home on the Isle of Dogs on Monday. The family fled over two garden fences and were ushered into Nazmul Haque's home.

David's father, Wayne Heatley, said: "My family would have been killed if my neighbour hadn't taken them in."

In Clapham, shocked residents paid tribute to the strangers who helped them after they were made homeless when their flat was destroyed by fire.

Bank worker Mark Gracia, 23, analyst Ellie Wassall, headhunter Emma Foley and charity worker Amy Bryan, all 22, were taken in by a stranger after they lost everything they owned as mobs looted and burned Party Superstores.

Another Clapham Junction resident Sean Fitzpatrick, 25, took in a stranger after he saw him being chased by looters. The student said: "I looked after him until it started to clear up. It's something I've never, ever, seen in my life."

In Ealing, Liz Pilgrim, whose boutique Baby E was ransacked, was moved to tears as she said: "I've had so many messages on Twitter and email from people I don't know offering their support. One person even said they would come from Worthing to support the shop."

But Mr Kavanagh warned that people who were acting as so-called vigilantes were not helping the police. He said: "What I don't need is these so-called vigilantes, who appeared to have been drinking too much and taking policing resources away from what they should have been doing, which is preventing the looting. These are small pockets of people. They're frustrated, they're angry, and that's understandable.

"But the support that we need is to allow those officers to prevent looting."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

shít!

I recognise that guy with the beard in the third picture. any idea how i report him to police

I was about to post the same thing :D

I swear he's a colonel or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,946 ✭✭✭✭listermint

bayern282 wrote: »
    A piece from The Guardian and something to bear in mind when reading about the corporate medias ''mindless thugs''

Those condemning the events of the past couple of nights in north London and elsewhere would do well to take a step back and consider the bigger picture: a country in which the richest 10% are now 100 times better off than the poorest, where consumerism predicated on personal debt has been pushed for years as the solution to a faltering economy, and where, according to the OECD, social mobility is worse than any other developed country.

As Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett point out in The Spirit Level: Why Equality is Better for Everyone, phenomena usually described as "social problems" (crime, ill-health, imprisonment rates, mental illness) are far more common in unequal societies than ones with better economic distribution and less gap between the richest and the poorest. Decades of individualism, competition and state-encouraged selfishness – combined with a systematic crushing of unions and the ever-increasing criminalisation of dissent – have made Britain one of the most unequal countries in the developed world.

Images of burning buildings, cars aflame and stripped-out shops may provide spectacular fodder for a restless media, ever hungry for new stories and fresh groups to demonise, but we will understand nothing of these events if we ignore the history and the context in which they occur.

Given the geographical location, the systems and resources in place in the United Kingdom. It is far far far easier for a young person in brixton to get themselves off the poverty ladder than say a young person in new delhi. Your apologising for youths that have an innate lazyness in them, many of whom have access to opportunity that simply dont exist elswhere but they choose to spit back in the face of society.

Too much rap video bling not enough hard work and morals.

I hate apologists! I really really hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

This is what happens when you have an entire subculture of dependents living on state handouts. With inevitable cut backs due to a shrinking economy, those in the community happy to sit around all day doing nothing get bothered that they mightn't get as much free money as before... and they riot. Of course, they aren't so broke that they need to steal food and other essentials; no, they loot and ransack businesses to opportunistically take TVs, computer games and other luxury goods.

They burn businesses to the ground and destroy the lives of those who work and actually pay the taxes that filter down to the dependents. Coupled with poor integration of large immigrant communities, a culture of entitlements and the fact that the average police officer is afraid to do anything lest he be put in front of an inquiry, throngs of parasitic youths have free reign to do millions of pounds of damage to public and private property.

The solutions lie beyond just calming the riots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

wild_cat wrote: »
    Yes, what a fine fellow Max Hastings is. :cool

In this case I think he made a few valid points.
    Years of liberal dogma have spawned a generation of amoral, uneducated, welfare dependent, brutalised youngsters

By Max Hastings

Last updated at 11:15 AM on 10th August 2011

A few weeks after the U.S. city of Detroit was ravaged by 1967 race riots in which 43 people died, I was shown around the wrecked areas by a black reporter named Joe Strickland.

He said: ‘Don’t you believe all that stuff people here are giving media folk about how sorry they are about what happened. When they talk to each other, they say: “It was a great fire, man!” ’

I am sure that is what many of the young rioters, black and white, who have burned and looted in England through the past few shocking nights think today.
    Manchester: Hooded looters laden with clothes run from a Manchester shopping centre

It was fun. It made life interesting. It got people to notice them. As a girl looter told a BBC reporter, it showed ‘the rich’ and the police that ‘we can do what we like’.

If you live a normal life of absolute futility, which we can assume most of this week’s rioters do, excitement of any kind is welcome. The people who wrecked swathes of property, burned vehicles and terrorised communities have no moral compass to make them susceptible to guilt or shame.

Most have no jobs to go to or exams they might pass. They know no family role models, for most live in homes in which the father is unemployed, or from which he has decamped.

They are illiterate and innumerate, beyond maybe some dexterity with computer games and BlackBerries.

They are essentially wild beasts. I use that phrase advisedly, because it seems appropriate to young people bereft of the discipline that might make them employable; of the conscience that distinguishes between right and wrong.

They respond only to instinctive animal impulses — to eat and drink, have sex, seize or destroy the accessible property of others.

Their behaviour on the streets resembled that of the polar bear which attacked a Norwegian tourist camp last week. They were doing what came naturally and, unlike the bear, no one even shot them for it.

A former London police chief spoke a few years ago about the ‘feral children’ on his patch — another way of describing the same reality.

The depressing truth is that at the bottom of our society is a layer of young people with no skills, education, values or aspirations. They do not have what most of us would call ‘lives’: they simply exist.

Nobody has ever dared suggest to them that they need feel any allegiance to anything, least of all Britain or their community. They do not watch royal weddings or notice Test matches or take pride in being Londoners or Scousers or Brummies.

Not only do they know nothing of Britain’s past, they care nothing for its present.

They have their being only in video games and street-fights, casual drug use and crime, sometimes petty, sometimes serious.

The notions of doing a nine-to-five job, marrying and sticking with a wife and kids, taking up DIY or learning to read properly, are beyond their imaginations.
    Undercover police officers arrest looters in the Swarovski Crystal shop in Manchester. One rioter lies injured and blood can be seen on the wall

Undercover police officers arrest looters in the Swarovski Crystal shop in Manchester. One rioter lies injured and blood can be seen on the wall

Last week, I met a charity worker who is trying to help a teenage girl in East London to get a life for herself. There is a difficulty, however: ‘Her mother wants her to go on the game.’ My friend explained: ‘It’s the money, you know.’

An underclass has existed throughout history, which once endured appalling privation. Its spasmodic outbreaks of violence, especially in the early 19th century, frightened the ruling classes.

Its frustrations and passions were kept at bay by force and draconian legal sanctions, foremost among them capital punishment and transportation to the colonies.

Today, those at the bottom of society behave no better than their forebears, but the welfare state has relieved them from hunger and real want.

When social surveys speak of ‘deprivation’ and ‘poverty’, this is entirely relative. Meanwhile, sanctions for wrongdoing have largely vanished.

When Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith recently urged employers to take on more British workers and fewer migrants, he was greeted with a hoarse laugh.
    Birmingham: People wearing masks swig alcohol next to a burning car in Birmingham city centre last night

Mindless: People wearing masks swig alcohol next to a burning car in Birmingham city centre last night

Every firm in the land knows that an East European — for instance — will, first, bother to turn up; second, work harder; and third, be better-educated than his or her British counterpart.Who do we blame for this state of affairs?

Ken Livingstone, contemptible as ever, declares the riots to be a result of the Government’s spending cuts. This recalls the remarks of the then leader of Lambeth Council, ‘Red Ted’ Knight, who said after the 1981 Brixton riots that the police in his borough ‘amounted to an army of occupation’.

But it will not do for a moment to claim the rioters’ behaviour reflects deprived circumstances or police persecution.

Of course it is true that few have jobs, learn anything useful at school, live in decent homes, eat meals at regular hours or feel loyalty to anything beyond their local gang.

This is not, however, because they are victims of mistreatment or neglect.

It is because it is fantastically hard to help such people, young or old, without imposing a measure of compulsion which modern society finds unacceptable. These kids are what they are because nobody makes them be anything different or better.
    Rampage: We are told that youths roaming the streets are doing so because they are angry at unemployment, but a quick look at an apprenticeship website yields 2,228 vacancies in London

Rampage: We are told that youths roaming the streets are doing so because they are angry at unemployment, but a quick look at an apprenticeship website yields 2,228 vacancies in London

A key factor in delinquency is lack of effective sanctions to deter it. From an early stage, feral children discover that they can bully fellow pupils at school, shout abuse at people in the streets, urinate outside pubs, hurl litter from car windows, play car radios at deafening volumes, and, indeed, commit casual assaults with only a negligible prospect of facing rebuke, far less retribution.

John Stuart Mill wrote in his great 1859 essay On Liberty: ‘The liberty of the individual must be thus far limited; he must not make himself a nuisance to other people.’

Yet every day up and down the land, this vital principle of civilised societies is breached with impunity.

Anyone who reproaches a child, far less an adult, for discarding rubbish, making a racket, committing vandalism or driving unsociably will receive in return a torrent of obscenities, if not violence.

So who is to blame? The breakdown of families, the pernicious promotion of single motherhood as a desirable state, the decline of domestic life so that even shared meals are a rarity, have all contributed importantly to the condition of the young underclass.

The social engineering industry unites to claim that the conventional template of family life is no longer valid.
    Protection: Asian shopkeepers stand outside their store in Hackney that was battered by the looters. This time, though, they're ready to take them on

Protection: Asian shopkeepers stand outside their store in Hackney that was battered by the looters. This time, though, they're ready to take them on

And what of the schools? I do not think they can be blamed for the creation of a grotesquely self-indulgent, non-judgmental culture.

This has ultimately been sanctioned by Parliament, which refuses to accept, for instance, that children are more likely to prosper with two parents than with one, and that the dependency culture is a tragedy for those who receive something for nothing.

The judiciary colludes with social services and infinitely ingenious lawyers to assert the primacy of the rights of the criminal and aggressor over those of law-abiding citizens, especially if a young offender is involved.

The police, in recent years, have developed a reputation for ignoring yobbery and bullying, or even for taking the yobs’ side against complainants.

‘The problem,’ said Bill Pitt, the former head of Manchester’s Nuisance Strategy Unit, ‘is that the law appears to be there to protect the rights of the perpetrator, and does not support the victim.’

Police regularly arrest householders who are deemed to have taken ‘disproportionate’ action to protect themselves and their property from burglars or intruders. The message goes out that criminals have little to fear from ‘the feds’.
    Do rioters, pictured looting a shop in Hackney, have lower levels of a brain chemical that helps keep behaviour under control? Scientists think so

Do rioters, pictured looting a shop in Hackney, have lower levels of a brain chemical that helps keep behaviour under control? Scientists think so

Figures published earlier this month show that a majority of ‘lesser’ crimes — which include burglary and car theft, and which cause acute distress to their victims — are never investigated, because forces think it so unlikely they will catch the perpetrators.

How do you inculcate values in a child whose only role model is footballer Wayne Rooney — a man who is bereft of the most meagre human graces?

How do you persuade children to renounce bad language when they hear little else from stars on the BBC?

A teacher, Francis Gilbert, wrote five years ago in his book Yob Nation: ‘The public feels it no longer has the right to interfere.’

Discussing the difficulties of imposing sanctions for misbehaviour or idleness at school, he described the case of a girl pupil he scolded for missing all her homework deadlines.

The youngster’s mother, a social worker, telephoned him and said: ‘Threatening to throw my daughter off the A-level course because she hasn’t done some work is tantamount to psychological abuse, and there is legislation which prevents these sorts of threats.

‘I believe you are trying to harm my child’s mental well-being, and may well take steps . . . if you are not careful.’

That story rings horribly true. It reflects a society in which teachers have been deprived of their traditional right to arbitrate pupils’ behaviour. Denied power, most find it hard to sustain respect, never mind control.

I never enjoyed school, but, like most children until very recent times, did the work because I knew I would be punished if I did not. It would never have occurred to my parents not to uphold my teachers’ authority. This might have been unfair to some pupils, but it was the way schools functioned for centuries, until the advent of crazy ‘pupil rights’.

I recently received a letter from a teacher who worked in a county’s pupil referral unit, describing appalling difficulties in enforcing discipline. Her only weapon, she said, was the right to mark a disciplinary cross against a child’s name for misbehaviour.

Having repeatedly and vainly asked a 15-year-old to stop using obscene language, she said: ‘Fred, if you use language like that again, I’ll give you a cross.’

He replied: ‘Give me an effing cross, then!’ Eventually, she said: ‘Fred, you have three crosses now. You must miss your next break.’

He answered: ‘I’m not missing my break, I’m going for an effing fag!’ When she appealed to her manager, he said: ‘Well, the boy’s got a lot going on at home at the moment. Don’t be too hard on him.’

This is a story repeated daily in schools up and down the land.
    Making a run for it: These four looters dash from the Blue Inc store in Peckham with looted goods

Making a run for it: These four looters dash from the Blue Inc store in Peckham with plundered goods

A century ago, no child would have dared to use obscene language in class. Today, some use little else. It symbolises their contempt for manners and decency, and is often a foretaste of delinquency.

If a child lacks sufficient respect to address authority figures politely, and faces no penalty for failing to do so, then other forms of abuse — of property and person — come naturally.

So there we have it: a large, amoral, brutalised sub-culture of young British people who lack education because they have no will to learn, and skills which might make them employable. They are too idle to accept work waitressing or doing domestic labour, which is why almost all such jobs are filled by immigrants.

They have no code of values to dissuade them from behaving anti-socially or, indeed, criminally, and small chance of being punished if they do so.

They have no sense of responsibility for themselves, far less towards others, and look to no future beyond the next meal, sexual encounter or TV football game.
    Rioters in Hackney stand in front of a makeshift barricade

Behind bins: Rioters in Hackney stand in front of a makeshift barricade

They are an absolute deadweight upon society, because they contribute nothing yet cost the taxpayer billions. Liberal opinion holds they are victims, because society has failed to provide them with opportunities to develop their potential.

Most of us would say this is nonsense. Rather, they are victims of a perverted social ethos, which elevates personal freedom to an absolute, and denies the underclass the discipline — tough love — which alone might enable some of its members to escape from the swamp of dependency in which they live.

Only education — together with politicians, judges, policemen and teachers with the courage to force feral humans to obey rules the rest of us have accepted all our lives — can provide a way forward and a way out for these people.

They are products of a culture which gives them so much unconditionally that they are let off learning how to become human beings. My dogs are better behaved and subscribe to a higher code of values than the young rioters of Tottenham, Hackney, Clapham and Birmingham.

Unless or until those who run Britain introduce incentives for decency and impose penalties for bestiality which are today entirely lacking, there will never be a shortage of young rioters and looters such as those of the past four nights, for whom their monstrous excesses were ‘a great fire, man’.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

If you ask me (and don't laugh), one of the things that we have that the English don't have is an organization like the GAA!

I think I know what you mean- that there's a massive voluntary organisation throughout the country that allows people to get involved and promotes a community spirit, thus ensuring people have pride in their area and providing them with a sense of belonging regardless of your social or financial background.

In fairness you have a point- in most local clubs you'll have doctors, salesmen, farmers, teachers, electricians etc all playing on the one team- class doesn't come into it. It definitely gives a community spirit.

Anyway, regardless of that- I really really genuinely believe things would never get as bad over here though, I do think that no matter how bad things are over here, we have more pride in our communities. Yeah we have scumbags, but I don't think things would get so out of hand even if they decided to riot. Or maybe I'll shut up in case I'm tempting fate here :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Wertz wrote: »
    Like I said way back down the thread, the genie is out of the bottle now...the gangs know they can do this type of thing almost at will and tackling a mindset that has attained that knowledge will be pretty hard to tackle. Heavy policing alone won't tackle it...I don't know what will. Lots of strongly worded daily mail articles certainly won't, finger wagging by politicians won't...this is the new norm; it was always the norm (gang sub culture isn't new), it's just stepped up a level.
    The thing is, these people are still in a minority. If they make things intolerable for the majority that pays for their homes, their clothes, their food, their drugs, and their 'education', they may well be letting a genie out of the bottle themselves. If the patronising approach of handing them everything and expecting nothing from the fails - and it looks like it has - then the gravy train may stop. And if its violence they want, then violence they may well get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

shít!

I recognise that guy with the beard in the third picture. any idea how i report him to police

Yeah I think he's also wanted for international war crimes against poultry...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I have nephews - they have mates, my mates kids.....they're all off the streets - they're all occupied all Summer in GAA camps, training, playing games. It occupies them physically AND prevents them going into a rut mentally.

If we were in England, they'd be hanging around, bored out of their trees and in the middle of all this crap!

But you're not comparing like with like. Your nephews obviously enjoy a very supportive family network - the thugs we've seen on our TVs the last two nights are being raised by people who get their parental advice from the Jeremy Kyle Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

listermint wrote: »
    Given the geographical location, the systems and resources in place in the United Kingdom. It is far far far easier for a young person in brixton to get themselves off the poverty ladder than say a young person in new delhi. Your apologising for youths that have an innate lazyness in them, many of whom have access to opportunity that simply dont exist elswhere but they choose to spit back in the face of society.

Too much rap video bling not enough hard work and morals.

I hate apologists! I really really hate them.

They seem to forget the law abiding people also living in poverty in the same areas who do not go around "doing what they want" because they're decent human beings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

What you must remember is that the number of teenagers/kids who rioted on many English streets over the last four nights was tiny!
    The vast majority of children/teenagers in England are well brought up & are not inclined to loot & riot. England has a massive multicultural population when compared to Ireland, indeed London alone has a population twice the size of Irelands population, i'm sure the GAA does great things for kids and keeps them off the streets, but you just cant compare what the GAA do (on such a tiny scale) to the needs of the 'self proclaimed' disenfranchised kids who loot & riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

OPENROAD wrote: »
    What about soccer camps etc.... in England?

Plenty of kids here also hanging about, bored etc....

Yes there are lots of bored kids here. But not nearly as many.

They also play soccer summer camps here. But it doesn't have the same appeal as the GAA. I also have a nephew in England. Tottenham coincidentally - and he's the only nephew I have (and I have a lot of them) who never participated in any sport growing up (he's in his 20's now).

Undeage soccer clubs in England....and even here...do not have the same pull. It doesn't have the same parochial intensity! You go to Corke Park on St. Patrick's day - to the club All-Ireland finals, and you see local guys who are very limited footballers/athletes fighting tooth and nail for their parish jersey. And they're national celebrities to the huge numbers of people who are interested in that. A Tottenham boy doesn't have anything like that to aspire to, unless he's in the 0.00001% of boys who are an obvious exceptional talent and might make it to professional league football at some level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Yes, what a fine fellow Max Hastings is. :cool:

Edit - Is that a picture of a child robbing a bottle of buckfast or a bottle of wine? I thought it was a bottle of buckfast earlier. ****ing wrong.

Heh, feel free to address the substance of what he has to say.....anything....no?

I don't think anyone from the "PC liberal brigade" is condoing or apologising for the actions of these people. No one wants to see innocent people burned out, robbed and small businesses looted at a bad economic time.

We're merely pointing out that this is what happens when you treat people like they are dregs............

Like they can now use water cannons on the mainland.... They might not use them on these fellows but might in the future against actual peaceful protesters. As they only seem to beat the working class, middle class and students over there. Perhaps this is down to the fact that these people are not stopped and searched on a daily basis unlike the young lads in question here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Those guys are so boned, especially the guy who lit ms Selfridge on fire.

Heh, feel free to address the substance of what he has to say.....anything....no?

I'm not bothered really. Your not going to agree with me anyway and I don't want to waste my time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i seen youngsters on the tv, no more than 8 to ten yrs of age, on the late night showings, there must be alot of feral children out there damaging property

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I don't think anyone from the "PC liberal brigade" is condoing or apologising for the actions of these people. No one wants to see innocent people burned out, robbed and small businesses looted at a bad economic time.

We're merely pointing out that this is what happens when you treat people like they are dregs............

They are dregs simply because they have been given everything they have without having to earn any of it. It is a totally unnatural and dangerous situation.

It is not their lack of opportunities that is the problem, is the lack of motivation to take the opportunities.

No with the same family mentality they would be involved in Football (soccer), cricket, tennis etc etc summer camps and games which are run all over London for those who want to take part.

There is no shortage of sports and places for those who want to take part. My cousin who lives in london hardly has a spare minute all summer with all the stuff he is involved in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Vicxas wrote: »
    Those guys are so boned, especially the guy who lit ms Selfridge on fire.
    That was a political strike against the women working for the Met Police. A long range strike, all the way from Birmingham or somewhere.

mloc wrote: »
    They are dregs simply because they have been given everything they have without having to earn any of it. It is a totally unnatural and dangerous situation.

It is not their lack of opportunities that is the problem, is the lack of motivation to take the opportunities.

And you are 100% sure of this?

There's quite a few professionals that have been charged in the past few days also. Like one was a school teacher (like WTF?)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Who is treating them like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

And yet you don't see lord Philpington-Potterlsey and his chums rioting, even though they were given everything without earning it, most perturbing :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

No with the same family mentality they would be involved in Football (soccer), cricket, tennis etc etc summer camps and games which are run all over London for those who want to take part.

And as I have previously said, none of that offers the kid the chance to become a huge local celebrity or somewhat of a national celebrity.

I know people very well who have made it onto the county teams in 3 counties and I see the way kids around them are inspired by them and their celebrity status...all at local level....some at national level....and I see the way they are driven by it in local clubs' underage teams!

Hungry! Lunch!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

But is this not a sign that there is something fundamentally broken with the system if this is what society is producing. This is an issue that has to be looked pragmatically and with a long view not reliant on right or left wing policies but based on what is best for the community and society in general. The problem is that no one has a clue what to do or the political will to see it through no matter what.

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote: »
    Who is treating them like that?

Google stop and search London.

Advertisement