Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭biddyteabags

Seems to be getting worse. :eek: God love the elderly living around this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

One less Greggs the bakers tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Jaysus...it's mad..

I can't see why they shouldn't just call the army in to try and stop this.

It is so unfair on normal people trying to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Kiera wrote: »
    i dont think they have them in London tho? I could be wrong.

I dunno either.. you'd have thought they'd have at least some, especially with the Olympics coming up.

Why isn't there any fire brigades at the fires?

EDIT: Wierdness - Sky fella just answered me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Send in the mounted police and dog units,water cannons too if they have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

The british army currently are in two wars that cost billions ever week, The last thing they need is to deploy around 10,000 soldiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I dunno either.. you'd have thought they'd have at least some, especially with the Olympics coming up.

Thats another year away, plenty of time to get them in. If they dont have any i'd be looking into getting them over from NI. Water canons would cause less of a stir than rubber bullets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Former senior met officer 'John O Connor giving interview '' saying there is a reluctance to use water cannon and plastic bullets by police in mainland britain but should have being used in tottenham on saturday '' .Time to take the kid gloves off now tbh and snatch squads might be another option .

looking at bbc news 24 now , there is a building ablaze in pekham..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Jesus.. I hope there's nobody in those buildings. That's nuts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I wonder will this kick off nationwide

Birmingham and Oldham has recent history of riots
    Maybe there are more, they are just the two I know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

People will die tonight !:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

The london police really aren't that good. 3 days now this has been going on. If the rioters push forward now in numbers, they could possibly get even more items to loot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

This is my sister in law (Amanda) in the street commenting: http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2025/capture3bxi.jpg

Hope nobody is in the building on fire in Peckham.

Fire brigade finally on scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

RobitTV wrote: »
    The british army currently are in two wars that cost billions ever week, The last thing they need is to deploy around 10,000 soldiers.

Not to mention liberating billions of dollars worth of oil and mineral deposits the people of Iraq and Afghanistan is much more important than liberating Tottenham.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Anarchy in the UK :cool:

...and Cameron is still on holidays ??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

foxinsox wrote: »
    No matter what anyone thinks started this off...

There is no excuse whatsoever for the pure scumbag carry on now...
    It is just pure thuggery, common thieving and criminal damage!

Yeah it is pure thuggery and scumbags now, but hang on. There's people advocating a police force - who are deeply mistrusted, possibly incompetent and dangerous needing to save face with an appalling track record of closing ranks - the free will to wade in on the scumbags?

I'd be fairly confident if they did that, it would kick off nationwide..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can we now look forward to a Sham 69/Rutts revival?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

That building on fiire in pekham is spreading but fire engine just arrrived now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

God this is awful to watch :( The locals must be terrified :( I hope it all comes to an end soon.

19.26 A skirmish is ongoing in Birmingham involving around 300 youths apparently being kettled at the cross roads of Corporation Street and Bull Street. Road signs are being thrown and a passerby has been beaten. It's the first reports of large-scale trouble outside of London. We'll bring you more as we get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

Someone on twitter said about 30 mins ago she was sent a list of places where they'll be rioting - its all very organised.

Terrifying.

Youth leader on Sky News finally speaking honestly.

Choas in london, Police from southern england being called in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Kiera wrote: »
    Can they not at least use water cannons to disperse the crowds? They use them all the time in NI =/

i dont think they have them in London tho? I could be wrong.
    They could have them over in less than 12 hours from NII or Belgium. I wouldn't be surprised if a EU rapid response riot task force is set up in the light of all this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

dfx- wrote: »
    There's people advocating a police force - who are deeply mistrusted...

Deeply mistrusted by the same bright young things who are causing all this nonsense so that holds zero water.

Beat these arseholes off the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

RobitTV wrote: »
    19.26 A skirmish is ongoing in Birmingham involving around 300 youths apparently being kettled at the cross roads of Corporation Street and Bull Street. Road signs are being thrown and a passerby has been beaten. It's the first reports of large-scale trouble outside of London. We'll bring you more as we get it.

I hope Tom is behaving himself :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Finally a community leader that is condemning the rioters without apology on Sky News. That women is a true community leader.

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »
    Yeah it is pure thuggery and scumbags now, but hang on. There's people advocating a police force - who are deeply mistrusted, possibly incompetent and dangerous needing to save face with an appalling track record of closing ranks - the free will to wade in on the scumbags?

I'd be fairly confident if they did that, it would kick off nationwide..

Sure, but probably the same could be said about most police forces in the world.

Regardless, people have the right to live safely in their homes and not be subjected to the kind of thing we are seeing in London now. Normal people are terrified to leave their houses, yet afraid to stay in case their building is set on fire. That's how I would feel if I lived there anyway.

I think the world has become so PC that it has become ridiculous! There is no excuse for the criminal damage that these people are doing and I believe they should be stopped. A police force should be able to use necessary force to control the baddies.

There is no way in hell that looting and running down the road with a TV can be classed as any form of political protest against the police!

Advertisement