Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

wild_cat wrote: »
    Low IQ?

Parents with a low IQ?

I've watched Jeremy Kyle a few times....

Hmmm...they are smart enough to be organised and effectively execute hit and run tactics against a better equipped, older, stronger and more experienced enemy that also outnumbers them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

us irish must help england in anyway we can and if sending over extra police is needed then we should do it. after everything they have done for us i think its time to show the world that were over the problems in the past and that were here to help

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

I haven't read all this thread as its far too long. But, being from the UK originally (and lived there for 35 yrs), what I'm seeing on the tv isn't really all that surprising. Or rather, it is suprising, but not who I'm seeing doing it and where it's happening.
    All the talk of the 'community leaders' explaining why it is happening is utter bull5h1t. The people commiting these acts are scum, and most always will be. Blaming it on unemployment is complete bo77ox. Most the people looting have never worked and never will. No matter what charities are set up, no matter how much money is invested. They all just wanna live like puff father and 50 cent. I lived amongst these people all my life, I went to school with them (in a **** hole school), and I lived in their neighboorhoods. Working 9 to 5 in an honest job wont get them what they want. They have no interest in going to uni for 4 yrs and getting a degree so they can earn 50k plus. They want it now and they want it for free. Don't kid yourselves with the theories of unemployment and poor prospects, or run down neighboorhoods. These people are the reasons the neighboorhoods are run down to start with, they make them that way. There are areas of Birmingham where you just DO NOT GO. Handsworth is one of them, the place is a hell hole, so is Smethwick, West Bromwich, and many other areas of Birmingham. I lived 7 miles outside of Birmingham myself, and around 5 miles from Wolverhampton (another shat hole).
    Some people will undoubtedly not like what I've said, and that I'm generalising etc etc. Nonsence, its a fact. Forget the studies, forget the statistics, when you live amongst the scum for long enough, then you'll see what the real problem is.
    As for the question of immigration raised by someone else somewhere in the thread. I can tell you that it is a HUGE problem. My mom and dad still live in our family where they have been for 32 yrs. When I was a nipper, the street was full of old people and you could hear a pin drop. Gradually the old people have died and new families have moved in. A good proportion of these are Pakistani immigrants. Most of them work as taxi drivers or have a shop (not stereotyping, they do), so they are not unemployed. They have turned the street into a dump. The gardens are overgrown, the fences are all falling down, rubbish in the street. They walk along the street spitting. My mom always made an effort to be friendly and say hello, most would never even answer her, she doesn't bother anymore. I have seen street after street in the area I lived turn this way, unemployment has nothing to do with it. Areas with houses that were once worth considerable money, now not fit for rats.
    In my parents street, 1 pakistani family originally moved in, it was a council property (as was around half the street), when the next house became empty, they somehow got this house too. It remained empty for sometime before some of their relatives moved into it, none of whom could speak english as they had just arrived in the country. The same thing happened when the next house became available. This goes on all across the UK. I don't know how they do it but they do.
    I may be coming across as racist, and may offend people, but I'm just stating what happens as witnessed by myself. It's not a clouded view, it's the truth.
    The main reason I came to Ireland with my family was a better up bringing for my kids in a place where they could safely go out in the street and play, go to a school where they wouldn't be one of the only white kids and be held back as most of the class couldn't speak english very well.
    Without being rasist, most of the rioters are black, like it or not, its the truth, it can be seen by us all on the tv. The areas where a large proportion of black people live in the UK are no go areas. Handsworth in Birmingham is 1. You take your life in your hands walking through an area like that.
    I'm not a racist, 2 of my best friends who I would spend most of my time with when I was at school weren't white, 1 was black and the other was Indian, 2 great lads who I had some good times with. But the fact is that the majority of people involved in the looting in these areas are black, and to be honest, it comes as no suprise to me at all. These days it's not possible to say these things without causing an uproar and being branded a racist pig. Even the chief of police in London once said a few yrs back that 95% of muggings in the London borough were committed by black youths, he didn't keep his job for long after that, but he was merely telling the truth.
    The press in the UK are often not allowed to state the colour of a persons skin when issueing a description of a suspect, as it causes negative images for people if the suspect is not white. This is insane.
    There's only 1 way to stop the riots and looting, and thats by force. I would like to see the troops on the street asap and put a stop to it. David Cameron has said that water canons can be used if requested with 24hr notice :confused: what use is this. If a riot and looting is occuring, the police can put in a call and a water canon will turn up 24hrs later, it's laughable. He's merely trying to act tough, the reality is he's affraid of the backlash from the human rights lawyers and do gooders. F&*k the human rights, if they're out doing this, they aint human and should be treated accordingly.
    :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Once again another person missing the point. You are just assuming these kids have no values, and seem to believe that your value system makes more sense to them.

People are endlessly talking about how the kids have no sense of community when the evidence is that the do. The kids are their own community and everyone outside of their group is an enemy. It's really that simple for them.

As regards earning things...to these kids you earn what you can take...and you own what you can keep. They will see the people who go to work for the 9 to 5 as a sucker. You work and save for a month to by a new laptop and they can take it off you in a second.

Why work for what you can take? And why respect the people who will hand it over at the slightest hint of violence?

People need to stop running out the bull**** "that's just excusing it" line every time someone mentions the fact that these kids have no real future to speak of and are basically seeing how little option they have. This exact reason is one of the main things that is causing them to go out and commit acts of criminality on a daily basis.

Another very important aspect is that they don't fear reprisal from society. Juve is a ****ing playground and where they earn their stripes, going to jail earns nothing from their peers but respect.

The issues need to be clearly examined from both sides...way too many people in this thread blindly hammering the same point which doesn't fix a ****ing thing. You need to completely understand the problem, even if you don't like the mindset that is causing it and disagree with it...and you need to take a firm and hard stance with regards to punishment and dealing with it in the first place.

Issues need to be clearly examined? Ok hit me, what's your solution? You've stated a lot of facts but not much else.

Personally I'd send the little fcukers to Afghanistan for 6 months to earn their keep, but that of course would be very un-PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

100% agree with this. I've said it before here, the main reason we haven't gone to live in the UK is the NHS. I do not want be sitting in a hospital waiting room in an emergency situation behind 20 people who are being treated for drug, alcohol and std related issues on my health payments.

have you been in an irish A&E?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

PauloMN wrote: »
    Nope, low IQ is certainly not the problem with these guys.

Anyone willing to throw stones at fire fighters has a low IQ in my opinion. Am I still condoning them now... when I'm saying negative things towards people?

or is it when I only say things that people think are "lefty".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

mikom wrote: »
    News for you.............. You already are sitting behind them in most countries already.
    With not a penny of taxes made off the drugs.

Nope, because the country I am living in does not have A&E departments stuffed to the gills because people have overindulged, health insurance is mandatory, job seekers allowance is dependant on the amount of time you have spent working and you only get child benefit payments relative to your situation ie if you are working, childcare is subsidised. We pay through the nose for all this in our taxes, granted, but it is blatantly obvious where our money goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

PauloMN wrote: »

Personally I'd send the little fcukers to Afghanistan for 6 months to earn their keep, but that of course would be very un-PC.

Send them where they could shoot innocents in a different country instead of their own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Stev_o wrote: »
    They love their Ghee aswell, that's enough to get me onboard.

"New spreadable Ghee."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

100% agree with this. I've said it before here, the main reason we haven't gone to live in the UK is the NHS. I do not want be sitting in a hospital waiting room in an emergency situation behind 20 people who are being treated for drug, alcohol and std related issues on my health payments.

Wha'? You wouldn't be paying for health payments (besides stuff like dental) with the NHS besides what comes out of your income tax.

And how would that emergency waiting room be different to one in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

This is getting a joke let the dogs at them get the horses and charge at them and needed let the horses run over them shot them with plastic bullets...

Tear gas the f***kers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Send them where they could shoot innocents in a different country instead of their own?

Never said I'd arm them. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

If its an "emergency situation" you wont be waiting behind anyone, thats how Triage works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

If London, Manchester or whatever city in England has the weather we are having today I bet you the streets will be empty. Thankfully these gremlins wont multiply with water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Care to give some of your own?

How about giving teachers back their power to discipline without fear of getting suspended for upsetting the poor wee darlings? If a teacher so much as raises their voice to a kid misbehaving, their parents are hot footing it down to the school calling it abuse etc. This goes for Ireland too.

This teaches respect (and a small amount of fear of authority- a healthy amount) from a very early age.

have you been in an irish A&E?

Yes unfortunately- while with my little sis who had been mugged I witnessed a guy with a severed finger on ice waiting behind two college students with "food poisoning". VHI don't count for much either imo.

The point I'm making is because these people don't pay for healthcare, they don't see a financial consequence to their reckless lifestyles so see nothing of getting wasted/ pregnant etc because someone else looks after everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Does anyone see a way to break the circle, because I don' t

First you have stop thinking it can be fixed instantly, Or that a vigilante mob is going to stem the flow or that internet warriors knocking some heads will do anything constructive. This is a fix that will take several generations to achieve and will involve serious investment in education and community development infrastructures.
    What is scary is that these kids no longer care. That was the tenuous link that kept this all under wraps for years, that little smidgeon of care.
    Now all it needs is a spark and you will have these rampages. Heaven help us if they get organised because there are organisations waiting with open arms.

OPENROAD wrote: »

Nice, hope they gave him a good kicking, little twat.

• Advertisement

Wha'? You wouldn't be paying for health payments (besides stuff like dental) with the NHS besides what comes out of your income tax.

And how would that emergency waiting room be different to one in Ireland?

Eeek you're all posting too fast!!

Yes, but the income tax could possibly be lowered if it didn't carry the weight of the NHS. Also, if a person from the UK works abroad but still lives/ has dependants in the UK they make a payment into the UK system so that they can still have "free" healthcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Happyman42 wrote: »
    First you have stop thinking it can be fixed instantly, Or that a vigilante mob is going to stem the flow or that internet warriors knocking some heads will do anything constructive. This is a fix that will take several generations to achieve and will involve serious investment in education and community development infrastructures.
    What is scary is that these kids no longer care. That was the tenuous link that kept this all under wraps for years, that little smidgeon of care.
    Now all it needs is a spark and you will have these rampages. Heaven help us if they get organised because there are organisations waiting with open arms.

yes but can you see the muppets in Westminster having the balls to comission a bevridge type report and implement it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I think it’s interesting to wonder why I’m not rioting right now. Is it because:

- I think I might be hurt or made unwell physically by engaging in it
    - I think I might suffer financially because of it (fine, loss of work)
    - I would disappoint my family or community
    - It goes against a particular or set of moral, social or religious conviction(s)
    - I’m afraid of eternal damnation in hell if I do it.
    - I could suffer from loss of freedom (jail time)
    - I don’t need anything badly enough, or been convinced that I need it, to loot it
    - I don’t feel the world owes me anything or has done me out of anything
    - My friends aren’t doing it or encouraging me to
    - I don’t think it’d be a whole lot of fun
    - I have better things to be doing
    - Any more????

A lot of things have influenced those circumstances in my life. But UNDOUBTEDLY the two most important have been family and education.

I can only guess that the people rioting/looting would tick NO to one or more of the list above. UK society (and in particular UK Government) has failed them by not providing, ideally through the education system, what their parents could not – stability, robust education, an understanding of basic, broadly agreed, rights and wrongs and a belief that if you work hard you can improve your material lot in life and overall well being.

We could start here:
    Lesson One: It is wrong to steal, it hurts people – if you do it we’ll punish you and you won’t like it. Surprising how few of the people rioting on TV appear worried that this might happen to them.

Oh yeah - 12 -24 hours of rain would see people off the streets for now too.

I'd like to see the reintroduction of national service in the UK. At 16 you either do 2 more yrs in school as in Ireland, do a college course, university, or work. If you do none of the above, then its national service for you. If you continue with school or go to college or uni, the tutors monitor you and your grades are monitored, if you are judged to be doing it merely to avoid national service and aren't putting in the effort, then its national service for you.
    The UK government is currently trying to recruit ex armed forces personel to teach in schools, and excelent idea, but what does this tell you of the schools that they need to call in the army :eek:

dooferoaks wrote: »
    If its an "emergency situation" you wont be waiting behind anyone, thats how Triage works.

Not necessarily, a friends daughter nearly died earlier this year suffering from appendicitis while living in the UK. Father a dentist, mother a midwife and they would not send an ambulance for her (just making the point that as health professionals they would not have made a mountain out of a molehill). Then she was asked four million times if she was pregnant because they didn't think it was appendicits, all the while her appendix is bursting, before eventually operating. Only to be sent back here to more infections as they failed to remove everything. Horrible situation for any 16 year old to be in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Problem is that the purpose of the welfare state for 3 generations has been to pay people to keep quiet, go away and not make a fuss. Therefore it has turned into a life choice.

There are no incentives embedded in the system to get out of it. Education is the key, so how do you force it? IMO by linking welfare to the child's school attendance, behavior in and out of school, and maybe other community activities. Given the current welfare culture, education is not going to happen with a 'carrot' approach. It has to be the 'stick'. Hit the parents where it hurts. If they refuse to engage, they lose all their welfare and their home. If all goes well, maybe they get a bonus. That puts the responsibility in their hands, and losing everything would soon focus the mind. And then those that turn their back on that system and turn to crime instead are agressively policed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

why don't the community's of England not just band together like the Asians in Birmingham and confront these thugs and protect their own neighborhoods.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

ricero wrote: »
    why don't the community's of England not just band together like the Asians in Birmingham and confront these thugs and protect their own neighborhoods.

The Asians in Birmingham are the English community ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 bown 1

just a few people letting off a bit of hot air..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Yes unfortunately- while with my little sis who had been mugged I witnessed a guy with a severed finger on ice waiting behind two college students with "food poisoning". VHI don't count for much either imo.

The point I'm making is because these people don't pay for healthcare, they don't see a financial consequence to their reckless lifestyles so see nothing of getting wasted/ pregnant etc because someone else looks after everything.

Nonsense. The NHS or irish healtcare system does not create junkies or people with food poisoning.

There are a lot of people who get free healtcare, including myself, who would die if they didnt. Poor people, pensioners, people with debilitating illnesses where medicine can cost 1000s a month.

There are a multitude of problems with the Irish healt system and the NHS. The problem is not solved by only giving healthcare to those who can afford it. Thats barbaric

Advertisement