Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

he said he wasn't shocked by the riots so she jumped to the conclusion that he condones them?

When you say Riot you mean 'insurrection of the people' right ? That is the distorted worldview of that idiot the reporter had to deal with.

As I said there have been far more competent, literate and coherent and intelligent spokespeople for the black community than this idiot. I have no idea why they selected him in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

I have to say listening to the news coverage would make you sick.
    First of all Sky News seem to be ramping up their anti-police view as per usual. As soon as anyone praises the police the interview is ended saying oh we are out of time.

The media have alot to anwer for in the way the police have to operate today. This is eveident from the student riots, G20 protest. The police go in using reasonable force to defend themselves and other and we hear an outcry of " police brutalility" and thet need to enage and talk to the hooigans. Oh yeah try to talk to someone who is hurling bricks and fire bombs at you and trying to inflict max damage on you.

So now thanks to this media view and other pressure the police hands have been tied and they cannot do much only run at the rioters & try to do their best that way and what do we hear - oh the police are too soft, not doing enough.

Media, politics and general public are to blame. We need to support the police, that yes they can use reasonable force in cases like the riots without fear of being crucified in press, by politicans and sued by the thugs who are being supported by do-gooders and other memebers of the public.
    Looking at the pictures I really feel sorry for the police and one women who husband was on the front line e-mailed into Sky News, crticising them from their coverage of the riots and "the suit wearing pen pusher fromer Met employee" ( her words) who was bashing the police. Saying if they think it is so easy swap places with a front line officer for an hour.

Secondly all the excuses being made for these thugs would make you sick. There is no reason for it only they are criminals and do not want to ahve to work or pay for anything. It is sheer criminality. None of this of lack of facilities, etc. It is a sheer lack of respect, morals etc.
    Plenty of people grown up in poor backrounds etc and work hard to improve their lot with whatever is available to them, you do not see them wrecking their communities or anyplace else.

You be sick of nowdays have to have a label or excuse or reason for everything. No sometimes there are no reasons other than sheer criminality for sake or it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

An example of some of the people charged, being brought to justice. From the London Evening Standard website. They includ a teacher and a volunteer worker for a homeless shelter.

Article also reports on proposals to use water cannons in the UK for the first time, although it appears it wont be on standby, but brought over from Northern Ireland at 24 hrs notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Morlar wrote: »
    She is dealing with an emotionally unstable dementia sufferer trying to reach some clarity without buying into his emotional, delusional drivel :

Guy is an idiot.

Why they are rolling this moron out as a spokesperson for his community is beyond me.

BBC News (as distinct to the BBC itself) is in a race to the bottom of the barrel with Sky News. They have been abysmal in their coverage of this because they see it as a foreign country. Yer wan with Darkus....how could you call that responsible intelligent interviewing??:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Can anybody tell me why the 1st generation immigrant Asian man that was interviewed last night who had his electrics shop looted, could go to England and set up a business and a life. Whilst this guy Darkus another 1st generation immigrant, the same age as the asian man and probably arrived at the same time as the asian man couldnt?

Why is Darkus struggling with life in England, whilst the man last night isnt?
    In fairness to Darcus hes a fairly well known journalist whos written for a number of publications and has hosted a few shows on channel 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    To be fair to Darkus ( a longtime activist for social change) he was responding in the main to the initial trouble after the shooting, before it turned into widescale looting. The presenter was an unprofessional, sensationalist twat as well and she and the BBC should be ashamed of themselves.

Love the way you spell his name

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

That was EPIC!! Usually despise Joan Rivers but she responded perfectly to his disgusting comment. Bet you he didn't for a second expect that :D

That was just brilliant! I like Joan Rivers, and thought she sounded genuinely upset by his commennt- and rightly so!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Oh don't be silly, he said he wasn't shocked by the riots so she jumped to the conclusion that he condones them?

He might be an idiot, but she's a ****ing retard.

He did go on to say they were insurrections, not riots. Fair question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Can anybody tell me why the 1st generation immigrant Asian man that was interviewed last night who had his electrics shop looted, could go to England and set up a business and a life. Whilst this guy Darkus another 1st generation immigrant, the same age as the asian man and probably arrived at the same time as the asian man couldnt?

Why is Darkus struggling with life in England, whilst the man last night isnt?

Because Howe chose the academic route instead and became a journalist and later a political activist. Not everyone wants to become a shopkeeper.

His treatmnet on BBC the other day was laughable (the newsnight interview/debate the previous night was a better refelection)...they'll let anyone become a newsreader these days. BBC are only "liberal" when it suits them...they can be as conservative as anyone else.
    He does a have a chip on his shoulder but he's probably warranted. Getting on a bit now and seems tired with it all.

Anyone watch that Sky interview with the two ex-gang members coming up to 4? Some good points made there from the horse's mouths, whether you give them credence or not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

BBC News (as distinct to the BBC itself) is in a race to the bottom of the barrel with Sky News. They have been abysmal in their coverage of this because they see it as a foreign country. Yer wan with Darkus....how could you call that responsible intelligent interviewing??:rolleyes:

Nonsense. She was dealing with an emotionally unstable, semi-coherent probable-dementia sufferer. Short of letting him rant and rave her options were limited. I think she did an ok job in difficult circumstances. Certainly blaming her for the tone of that interview is just another cop-out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The BBC just showed the first guy to be convicted of rioting and looting. They said he's a teaching assistant.

I guess the claims that this whole thing is down to unemployment and the welfare-state aren't as justified as some are trying to make out.

Morlar wrote: »
    Nonsense. She was dealing with an emotionally unstable, semi-coherent probable-dementia sufferer.

Whatever you think yourself Doc! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

lol@ Ed Miliband and his band of multicultural street sweepers. All very nice and stage managed...all it was short of was the Benetton logo...

They see what as a foreign country. What are you talking about.

You really seem to give most of your opinions from a position of extreme ignorance on the demographics, and geography of London. To be fair as pretty much everything you say is a leftwing cliche, there is no need for knowledge of anywhere. London 2011 could be sheffield 1970, and the cliches stay the same.

Let me explain how london works:

The "poor" in London are not ghettosised. They live with the Rich. Cheek by cheek, and jowl by jowl. Door by door. Street by street.

Middle income groups tend to have to move out of the city, at least to buy. These parts of london which burned were rich by the standards of the world, and the rest of the UK. The entire city is an economic powerhouse. It feels like there is no recession, and it is not losing jobs. There are jobs aplenty as there have been for a generation. If you live in a "bad" area of London - which would mean somewhere with more economic activity than most anywhere in Wales or Scotland, or most of England north of the M4 - then get your lazy ass on the tube and go a stop or two to a "rich" area, or the city centre to get a job. you know, like the immigrants all around you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Whatever you think yourself Doc! :rolleyes:

Darcus Howe: 'My battle with prostate cancer'
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Prostatehealth/Pages/darcushowe.aspx

The BBC just showed the first guy to be convicted of rioting and looting. They said he's a teaching assistant.

I guess the claims that this whole thing is down to unemployment and the welfare-state aren't as justified as some are trying to make out.

he is poor compared to people richer than him.

WE should all march on Roman Abramovich's house and demand our own yacht. Riot until the rich and the govmint get dat we can do wot we want innit.

( Not really, he is scary).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Latchy wrote: »
    He also made the point that the holligans in the main were well fed looking and well dressed which means they are getting their source of income to wear the latest expensive trendy gear from some place and not for many the £25 trainers of hoody tops ,no sir , they have to have the latest £90 trainers to 'fit in ' ..
    to be fair, they'd probably, until recently, been wearing the cheap trainers and hoodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

irish-stew wrote: »
    An example of some of the people charged, being brought to justice. From the London Evening Standard website. They includ a teacher and a volunteer worker for a homeless shelter.

Article also reports on proposals to use water cannons in the UK for the first time, although it appears it wont be on standby, but brought over from Northern Ireland at 24 hrs notice.
    His humiliation was complete when he left court with a newspaper covering his face and walked into a lamp post.

I thought Chris Morris wrote this for a moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Clips of Polic in Manchester catching 3 looters. GM police have had compliants about it and will be investigating it. Not surprising Police have been so lax, lots of people would call it deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I have to admit, I didn't see that coming. I guess it's proof towards the argument that it's not poverty or alienation that are at the root of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Clips of Polic in Manchester catching 3 looters. GM police have had compliants about it and will be investigating it. Not surprising Police have been so lax, lots of people would call it deserved.

What a takedown... That was a piece of art.

Yahew wrote: »
    They see what as a foreign country. What are you talking about.

You really seem to give most of your opinions from a position of extreme ignorance on the demographics, and geography of London. To be fair as pretty much everything you say is a leftwing cliche, there is no need for knowledge of anywhere. London 2011 could be sheffield 1970, and the cliches stay the same.

Let me explain how london works:

The "poor" in London are not ghettosised. They live with the Rich. Cheek by cheek, and jowl by jowl. Door by door. Street by street.

Middle income groups tend to have to move out of the city, at least to buy. These parts of london which burned were rich by the standards of the world, and the rest of the UK. The entire city is an economic powerhouse. It feels like there is no recession, and it is not losing jobs. There are jobs aplenty as there have been for a generation. If you live in a "bad" area of London - which would mean somewhere with more economic activity than most anywhere in Wales or Scotland, or most of England north of the M4 - then get your lazy ass on the tube and go a stop or two to a "rich" area, or the city centre to get a job. you know, like the immigrants all around you did.

Ever hear of ghettoes of the mind?
    The BBC see the people who where on the streets as citizens of another country...it is not the country where (the majority of the journalists in their newsrooms) live is what I mean. That is why that journalist?? could not have an intelligent discussion with Darcus Howe. There is a huge disconnect in our mainstream media.
    You are just giving the standard answer of the middle classes....'why don't they get a job?' But as a recent poster says the first guy to be charged is a teaching assistant.
    The ghetto is not always manifest in bricks and mortar some times it is in the mindset of a huge underbelly.

What the situation needs is the opinions of these people to be listened to and acted on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Typical scumbags on power trips. Kicking people who are lying on the ground :mad:

I have to admit, I didn't see that coming. I guess it's proof towards that it's not poverty or alienation that are at the root of this.
    Aaron Mulholland, a lifeguard at Peckham Pulse health club, is said to have joined thieves at Foneworld store in Camberwell Church Street in the early hours of yesterday. The 30-year-old wept in the dock as his solicitor Kerry Spence told the court he had "learned his lesson" following two nights in police custody.
    A thirty-year-old man who didn't know that rioting and looting were wrong until he had spent two nights in custody? :confused:

Typical scumbags on power trips. Kicking people who are lying on the ground :mad:
    Or possibly typical Londoners who are sick and tired of scumbags destroying their city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Or possibly typical Londoners who are sick and tired of scumbags destroying their city?

Happened in Manchester

A shame it's not happening in London

• Registered Users Posts: 33,940 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I have to admit, I didn't see that coming. I guess it's proof towards that it's not poverty or alienation that are at the root of this.

A thirty-year-old man who didn't know that rioting and looting were wrong until he had spent two nights in custody? :confused:

No No he was in the 'ghetto' of the mind according to other posters.... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

They're from Manchester. They're scumbags, no better than those throwing stuff at the police. Fair enough doing whatever it takes to restrain someone but you don't start smashing them in the head with batons when they're on the ground. *****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

I'll take cops on power trips kicking the shít out of scumbags over scumbags looting and burning any day of the week. If your gonna act like scum a few digs is the least you deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,940 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They're from Manchester. They're scumbags, no better than those throwing stuff at the police. Fair enough doing whatever it takes to restrain someone but you don't start smashing them in the head with batons when they're on the ground. *****.

Sure if those lads set a wheely bin on the steps of your front door, it would be all cool man. Yeah ?

My heart bleeds for them....

Advertisement