Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

mikemac wrote: »
    Happened in Manchester
    *Facepalm*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

All this talk of rubber bullets. If only the fathers of these chavs had fired blanks. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Ever hear of ghettoes of the mind?

Jaysus. We've reached a new low.
    What the situation needs is the opinions of these people to be listened to and acted on.

Yes. I think we should all start referring to the police as the 'feds' and wear our 110's and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,693 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The BBC see the people who where on the streets as citizens of another country...it is not the country where (the majority of the journalists in their newsrooms) live is what I mean. That is why that journalist?? could not have an intelligent discussion with Darcus Howe. There is a huge disconnect in our mainstream media.
    You are just giving the standard answer of the middle classes....'why don't they get a job?' But as a recent poster says the first guy to be charged is a teaching assistant.
    The ghetto is not always manifest in bricks and mortar some times it is in the mindset of a huge underbelly.

What the situation needs is the opinions of these people to be listened to and acted on.

What a bunch of bull****. "Ghettos of the mind"? Are you serious?

If we listened to these people, all we'd hear is nonsense. We'd hear what they want, instead of ideas and solutions as to how it might actually be achieved.

A person is smart. People are idiots.

Ghetto of the mind.... ****ing Hell....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

DominoDub wrote: »
    Darcus Howe: 'My battle with prostate cancer'
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Prostatehealth/Pages/darcushowe.aspx

Treated and probably cured prostrate cancer is not dementia. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

listermint wrote: »
    Sure if those lads set a wheely bin on the steps of your front door, it would be all cool man. Yeah ?

My heart bleeds for them....

If I beat the **** out of them then I'd get done for assault. Nothing going to happen to these thugs though. Police think they can do what they want. What they did in that video wasn't doing their job, it was them using an opportunity to showcase their bravado and act like a hardman. Proper police officer would get him on the ground straight away and handcuff the ****er.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

Typical scumbags on power trips. Kicking people who are lying on the ground :mad:

power trip ? how do you know that the lads they gave a kicking had not just mugged some old lady or set a house on fire with a family in it ? if I had to put up with half of what those guys do it would be more than kicking them id be doing.

Treated and probably cured prostrate cancer is not dementia. :rolleyes:

Probably not all that of a differnece given how far he seems to have had his head up his own arse. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Typical scumbags on power trips. Kicking people who are lying on the ground :mad:

Are you so liberal because its in a different country? If it was happening in Dublin and your business was just burned down and your livelihood gone and the police came and caught the lads that did it, would you tell them to go easy?

Proper police officer would get him on the ground straight away and handcuff the ****er.

Off you go to work as a police consultant then or some such.

• Advertisement

superfish wrote: »
    power trip ? how do you know that the lads they gave a kicking had not just mugged some old lady or set a house on fire with a family in it ? if I had to put up with half of what those guys do it would be more than kicking them id be doing.

Police and judges etc. aren't supposed to let emotion get in the way of their jobs. These lads obviously did.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Yahew wrote: »
    If you live in a "bad" area of London - which would mean somewhere with more economic activity than most anywhere in Wales or Scotland, or most of England north of the M4 - then get your lazy ass on the tube and go a stop or two to a "rich" area, or the city centre to get a job. you know, like the immigrants all around you did.

Nothing to do with living in a bad area. The vast majority of London commutes. The tube alone carries 4.7 million people daily, the buses and overground trains more between them. Most Londoners (along with a lot of people living in Kent, Surrey, Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Essex, etc) work in zone 1 where only a small percentage of them live.

So what if there are no jobs in Tottenham, outside of the service industry (which also existed in Tottenham until last weekend) and certain public services there are few jobs in any residential area. People live in residential areas and work in commercial centres. That's how it works in big cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Or possibly typical Londoners who are sick and tired of scumbags destroying their city?

Police aren't paid to be emotional. Their job is to remain objective enforcers of the law, once they over-react like this they become no more than vigilantes with shiny badges and should be prosecuted by those who actually fulfill their job roles.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure those scumbags deserved a good hiding but it's not the police's job to give it to them. Police are given powers normal civilians aren't and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent once they abuse that power.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Are you so liberal because its in a different country? If it was happening in Dublin and your business was just burned down and your livelihood gone and the police came and caught the lads that did it, would you tell them to go easy?

That's why vigilante justice is illegal. Justice should be controlled by people not lost in their own emotions.

Seachmall wrote: »
    Police aren't paid to be emotional. Their job is to remain objective enforcers of the law, once they over-react like this they become no more than vigilantes with shiny badges and should be prosecuted by those who actually fulfill their job roles.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure those scumbags deserved a good hiding but it's not the police's job to give it to them. Police are given powers normal civilians aren't and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent once they abuse that power.

Couldn't agree more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Barrington wrote: »
    If we listened to these people, all we'd hear is nonsense. We'd hear what they want, instead of ideas and solutions as to how it might actually be achieved.

Did you read that sentence before you posted? :rolleyes:

As to ghettos of the mind, simple concept really....have you ever seen people with common backgrounds behaving as one????? Oh wait.

Try opening your eyes and your mind to new things, you might learn something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

iguana wrote: »
    Nothing to do with living in a bad area. The vast majority of London commutes. The tube alone carries 4.7 million people daily, the buses and overground trains more between them. Most Londoners (along with a lot of people living in Kent, Surrey, Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Essex, etc) work in zone 1 where only a small percentage of them live.

So what if there are no jobs in Tottenham, outside of the service industry (which also existed in Tottenham until last weekend) and certain public services there are few jobs in any residential area. People live in residential areas and work in commercial centres. That's how it works in big cities.

And don't forget kids, the 'subway of the mind' can get you out of 'the ghetto of the mind'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

What has Gardai doing their jobs and giving idiots their just deserveds?

Not to de rail as those videos have nothing to do with what's being discussed.

But some cops actually lost their jobs because of the way they behaved at the reclaim the streets... so it was found that people actually didn't need beating for "just deservefsgasdgasd" or what every you meant to type.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Couldn't agree more.

Snore, your points make me tired. In an ideal world the tripe you are spouting would be glorious. News flash this isnt an ideal world. There are gangs of young thugs cycling around smashing in homes / businesses / peoples faces and generally destroying lives and livelyhoods.

This guy got pushed of his bike and a few smacks. He wasnt stabbed so get over it.

• Advertisement

Police and judges etc. aren't supposed to let emotion get in the way of their jobs. These lads obviously did.

ok niall your right we better send you over to sort it all out im sure if you ask them nicely they will stop

nice trolling by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShiresV2

Proper police officer would get him on the ground straight away and handcuff the ****er.

Handcuff the scrote? That would put those officers off the street for hours to deal with one person among hoardes of rioting looting scrum.

Even if the police were lucky and got a successful prosecution the scrote would probably end up getting a slap on the wrist or early release.

Instead they chose summary justice: knock seven shades of sh1te out of him and continue on policing the streets. Perfectly appropriate for the circumstances -- the circumstances being mass public disorder. A riot, looting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Oh yeah, they're just up the road from the university of bollox.

superfish wrote: »
    ok niall your right we better send you over to sort it all out im sure if you ask them nicely they will stop

nice trolling by the way

Because I think police shouldn't be able to dish out beatings for no reason other than their personal satisfaction I'm a troll? Grow up. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Did you read that sentence before you posted? :rolleyes:

As to ghettos of the mind, simple concept really....have you ever seen people with common backgrounds behaving as one????? Oh wait.

Try opening your eyes and your mind to new things, you might learn something.

Its true what Tim Minchin said. "If you open your mind too much, your brain falls out"

Because I think police shouldn't be able to dish out beatings for no reason other than their personal satisfaction I'm a troll? Grow up. :rolleyes:

lmfao no reason ok troll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

iguana wrote: »

Yes, thats my point. These oppressed poor are living in areas where the middle classes can, these days, only dream of. I think that is a problem ( for middle income groups), but then I think that London sucks.

I remember when the inner city problems in Dublin were blamed on there being nothing to do in the middle of a city. Nobody challenged that, either. Fast forward to the boom and you paid half a million euros to be on their doorstep with all the joys of city centre living. ( apparently, looking at the billboards, said joys consisted of having a latte with a hot woman who smiled like an idiot at her drink).

listermint wrote: »
    Snore, your points make me tired. In an ideal world the tripe you are spouting would be glorious. News flash this isnt an ideal world. There are gangs of young thugs cycling around smashing in homes / businesses / peoples faces and generally destroying lives and livelyhoods.

This guy got pushed of his bike and a few smacks. He wasnt stabbed so get over it.

Suppose we shouldn't even have courts. Might as well let the police fulfill their role as they see fit.

I'm sure they'd much rather be at home with the wife and kids, feet up and watching tv for their "personal satisfaction". Not out facing down scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If you look in the background, the lad who got knocked off the bike by his comrade came off worse, nasty fall and no police even touched him

Advertisement