Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

ShiresV2 wrote: »
    Instead they chose summary justice: knock seven shades of sh1te out of him and continue on policing the streets.

Actually no justice is done.

I'm not sure if you're trolling or actually fail to see the purpose of the justice system and the dangers of vigilante justice (which this was by the way).

superfish wrote: »
    lmfao no reason ok troll

Piss off you trollz lmzaofckmicy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

prinz wrote: »
    I'm sure they'd much rather be at home with the wife and kids, feet up and watching tv for their "personal satisfaction". Not out facing down scumbags.

No doubt. And I'm not saying these people didn't deserve a bit of a hiding, just that you can't have individual police officers deserves who gets a hiding and who doesn't and how hard it's gonna be. That's why we have courts and police who are supposed to keep emotion out of their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Maybe the one positive to take from this whole thing is moves towards re-establishing some sort of community spirit in the UK after Thatcher did her best to destroy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Originally Posted by Happyman42 View Post
    Ever hear of ghettoes of the mind?
    mikom wrote: »
    Oh yeah, they're just up the road from the university of bollox.

Where the thought-police roam in packs !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

No doubt. And I'm not saying these people didn't deserve a bit of a hiding, just that you can't have individual police officers deserves who gets a hiding and who doesn't and how hard it's gonna be. That's why we have courts and police who are supposed to keep emotion out of their jobs.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt, this quote was intended for people like you niall !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Laois_Man wrote: »
    If you ask me (and don't laugh), one of the things that we have that the English don't have is an organization like the GAA!

That's not to say that all this 541t couldn't happen here. But considering we wouldn't even get off our arses when all our money was being given away to French, German, Scandanavian etc banks, it probably wouldnt'!

Not laughing at all chief! Think it's an excellent point. I grew up in a nice area of South County Dublin and knew a good few lads from the local council estate because we played gaelic football together. It's a much maligned organisation but it does a magnificent job in bringing young people from different socio-economic backgrounds together. It teaches team-work, the value of hard work, and brings the community together.

Another massive point is that it shows children from less advantaged backgrounds that there can be fairness in some things in life, and in some things, life is a meritocracy. No child (in our club anyway) was ever selected to play because he had the best or most expensive kit. They were selected on ability and their willingness to turn up for training.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Typical scumbags on power trips. Kicking people who are lying on the ground :mad:

true I didnt see 1 to 2 hundred or even 10 to 20 rioters or looters,

how or what was their reason for thinking they were looters, had they goods on them, am i wrong in thinking they were with 2 girls who were walking,

if so then im sure they would also be looting, once on the ground they beat the **** out of them, then the guy by the fence get rolled over and back by the cop.

im not sure that they were or they were not looters but if they were then the girls should of got the same treatment, those pictures just reinforce for me that the fooking cops when they have the odds in their favor are just as scummie as the scum they are trying to arrest,

there was enough of them, so when they got them on the ground, they could just of held them there, no need to over indulge with the baton or the big size ten,

real fooking brave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Try opening your eyes and your mind to new things, you might learn something.
    Thank goodness you are here to guide us simpletons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Not laughing at all chief! Think it's an excellent point. I grew up in a nice area of South County Dublin and knew a good few lads from the local council estate because we played gaelic football together. It's a much maligned organisation but it does a magnificent job in bringing young people from different socio-economic backgrounds together. It teaches team-work, the value of hard work, and brings the community together.

Another massive point is that it shows children from less advantaged backgrounds that there can be fairness in some things in life, and in some things, life is a meritocracy. No child (in our club anyway) was ever selected to play because he had the best or most expensive kit. They were selected on ability and their willingness to turn up for training.

And America has religion. Much maligned in the bible belt, as it should be, the preachers in the urban ghetto do their best - with some exceptions - to bring order to chaos.

England got nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,693 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Did you read that sentence before you posted? :rolleyes:

As to ghettos of the mind, simple concept really....have you ever seen people with common backgrounds behaving as one????? Oh wait.

Try opening your eyes and your mind to new things, you might learn something.

Try using logic.

They want cheaper education. Where will the government get the money?

They want more jobs available. Where will the government get the money?

They don't want benefits cut. Where will the government get the money?

The government knows that the people want these things. Trouble is, it can't afford to give absolutely everyone what they want all the time.

Maybe you should open your eyes, and look at a book called "How the real world works"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

mikom wrote: »
    Oh yeah, they're just up the road from the university of bollox.

I was never cut out for teaching. :rolleyes:
    Read about it yourself, loads on Google ......if you know how to use it.
    http://www.economist.com/node/4370661

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

ricero wrote: »
    us irish must help england in anyway we can and if sending over extra police is needed then we should do it. after everything they have done for us i think its time to show the world that were over the problems in the past and that were here to help

Jeeze I can think of a fair few Irish who would like nothing more than a chance to beat up some English.
    They have no choice, it's either 'intervene' in a positive way or get ready to fight running battles until they are all living in an urban wasteland where dog eats dog.
    Calling these people scum or threatening to shoot them on sight (as some here recommend) may be fun to type but it is no solution.
    They are how they are because we made them.

It's always someone elses fault, isn't it ? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Role models are not just parents, a child can see a situation and aspire to it, like the homelife of a friend or school mate. The environment.
    What is happening here is that there are no role models to be seen, they live in communities where the robber lives the best life, the welfare fiddler is the best fed etc etc. Our collective social policies made these places, these ghettoes. When they look around there is just more of the same.

If you remove beacons of hope and the facilitators of change (education and community services) then it is like shutting a massive door. And the pressure builds. They are breaking down those doors all over Britain.

Has it ever crossed your mind that a lot is up to the communities themselves.
    As an example I can show you communities in Ireland where new playgrounds were built and very soon they are vandalised.
    Is it up to the rest of us to keep putting new ones in ?

What is happening here is that somepeople think they are owed something.
    They see other people with things so they decide that they have a right to it.
    There was interview on one of the channels with two girls who had rioted.
    One of them mentioned how they were showing the government (which she wasn't even sure who they are) and the police.
    They see shopkeepers as rich and thus fair game to be beat up and robbed.

Education is wasted on some of these twats.

There is a time coming when ordinary decent hardworking people have had enough.
    If the government(s) and authorities such as the judicary choose to treat the offenders and the spongers with kid gloves, then there is going to be a huge growth in extreme groups who will have their own thoughts on how to deal with these issues.

The awakening of ordinary decent people has already been shown by the people out in their neighbourhoods defending their property and businesses.
    In other instances you had certain ethnic groups and religious groups out defending their places of workship.
    BTW these are the ones that have worked hard and built something in the country they chose to emigrate to and they are willing to defend it.

People think that our country is somehow different, but we have our own scumbags and the huge rise in gangs, antisocial behaviour and no go areas bears testament to that.
    We could be experiencing the same in a few years.
    And as always the liberal socially aware mindset is at work fighting for the poor disenfranchised and so called downtrodden.

There is already kites being flown about release of offenders from our jails.
    We like the Uk have turned into a state that bends over backwards to accomodate those who contribute least to our society while punishing the rest of us.
    It about time that there were civil rights for those of us who are bloody civil.

I am not allowed discuss …

Barrington wrote: »
    And what has the governent got to do with jobs anyway? Are they supposed to hire 100,000 new street sweepers?

There's plenty of work there - why the hell have Eastern Europeans been flocking there for the last decade?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt, this quote was intended for people like you niall !

I lol'd at the irony of this.

The point of the justice system is to prove people guilty beyond reasonable doubt, what these police officers did first was act without any doubt in their mind of who was responsible.

If this goes to court then those police officers will be judged by a jury of their peers as to whether or not their actions were justified and a judge will decide an appropriate punishment if they're found to have acted outside their roles, that is luxury they denied that kid when they beat him to the ground.

I was never cut out for teaching. :rolleyes:
    We are very shocked by this revelation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

jmayo wrote: »
    Jeeze I can think of a fair few Irish who would like nothing more than a chance to beat up some English.

It's always someone elses fault, isn't it ? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Has it ever crossed your mind that a lot is up to the communities themselves.
    As an example I can show you communities in Ireland where new playgrounds were built and very soon they are vandalised.
    Is it up to the rest of us to keep putting new ones in ?

What is happening here is that somepeople think they are owed something.
    They see other people with things so they decide that they have a right to it.
    There was interview on one of the channels with two girls who had rioted.
    One of them mentioned how they were showing the government (which she wasn't even sure who they are) and the police.
    They see shopkeepers as rich and thus fair game to be beat up and robbed.

Education is wasted on some of these twats.

There is a time coming when ordinary decent hardworking people have had enough.
    If the government(s) and authorities such as the judicary choose to treat the offenders and the spongers with kid gloves, then there is going to be a huge growth in extreme groups who will have their own thoughts on how to deal with these issues.

The awakening of ordinary decent people has already been shown by the people out in their neighbourhoods defending their property and businesses.
    In other instances you had certain ethnic groups and religious groups out defending their places of workship.
    BTW these are the ones that have worked hard and built something in the country they chose to emigrate to and they are willing to defend it.

People think that our country is somehow different, but we have our own scumbags and the huge rise in gangs, antisocial behaviour and no go areas bears testament to that.
    We could be experiencing the same in a few years.
    And as always the liberal socially aware mindset is at work fighting for the poor disenfranchised and so called downtrodden.

There is already kites being flown about release of offenders from our jails.
    We like the Uk have turned into a state that bends over backwards to accomodate those who contribute least to our society while punishing the rest of us.
    It about time that there were civil rights for those of us who are bloody civil.

Sure we'll just kill them all! :rolleyes: That'll cure it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Read about it yourself, loads on Google ......if you know how to use it.

*drool drips from side of mouth*
    "Have you seen my baseball"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭listermint

And what has the governent got to do with jobs anyway? Are they supposed to hire 100,000 new street sweepers?

There's plenty of work there - why the hell have Eastern Europeans been flocking there for the last decade?

Cuz i neva get maa new trainers sweepin street blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

DrumSteve wrote: »
    What a takedown... That was a piece of art.

The guy on the bike? That wasn't the police, it was someone on the pavement who ran into the bike to get away from them..

Or did you mean the other guy on the bike who stopped and was then hit on the head..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

he didnt say anything like that. jesus christ stop talking, im actually embarassed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Typical scumbags on power trips. Kicking people who are lying on the ground :mad:

My favourite video of the riots.

Seems like Niall is part of the 'Bleeding Hearts Brigade'. Worst brigade ever.

The cops took it easy the first few days, but the rioting scum just had to keep pushing it. You keep pushing, this is what you get. I suppose you think they should have been polite to these dirtbags?

There's no underestimating the ignorance of the general public is there?

Rioter:" Nahh mean man, I izz just tryin to rob a car and terrorise a family nome sayn, and like yeah, this pig cums up and starts hittin me, it ain't proper man yeah".

A few flakes of the wavin, gets cows mooooooovin. :P

good Idea lets get rid of the tinkers whilst we are at it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Barrington wrote: »
    Try using logic.

They want cheaper education. Where will the government get the money?

They don't want benefits cut. Where will the government get the money?

The government knows that the people want these things. Trouble is, it can't afford to give absolutely everyone what they want all the time.

Maybe you should open your eyes, and look at a book called "How the real world works"

Or they could, you know, stop pandering to the almost taxless upper class and stop targeting the already downtrodden first whenever cuts have to be made?
    How about instead of closing that youth centre you halve the subsidies given to the Royal Opera House for instance? The people who frequent it can WELL afford to fund it themselves. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

good Idea lets get rid of the tinkers whilst we are at it

just fúckin try it buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

My favourite video of the riots.

The same muppets who get up in arms about a few digs like that wouldn't say a thing if it was the other way round and a cop was getting beaten/killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Flaming, sniping stops here please.

Final Warning.

Or they could, you know, stop pandering to the almost taxless upper class and stop targeting the already downtrodden first whenever cuts have to be made?
    How about instead of closing that youth centre you halve the subsidies given to the Royal Opera House for instance? The people who frequent it can WELL afford to fund it themselves. :confused:
    Can you outline all these cuts that were supposed to be affecting these people?

And do you really believe that every penny of taxpayers' money should be directed to keeping scumbags from rioting? Society as a protection racket, huh? Sure close the hospitals too, and the schools. Who needs culture. Just give these people whatever they want so they don't riot again. We cab work so they don't have to.

just fúckin try it buddy

no problem just give me a machine gun and an army and il get right on it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,693 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Government funded projects to entice foreign companies to start up, expansion of public services and facilites. The government can do a lot to help create jobs, whether those jobs are public service or not. Hell, getting the 2012 Olympics brought a lot of construction jobs alone. Improving broadband etc can bring in more companies. Cheaper tax rates etc.

Companies create jobs. The government can help more companies to set up. And if the public had more money with tax cuts, banks giving out money, better benefits, then companies would need more staff as people would be spending more.

Advertisement