Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Im not doing your homework for you. If you have a point to make, make it and provide the evidence yourself.

Google 'presenting evidence'

You want me to prevent all the research here?
    All I said was 'there is loads of research out there' that was my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

How many cheats are there? How much cheaper would it be if it was properly policed, I wonder?
    How many cheats combined cost as much as the Roscommon A&E unit?

What do you mean cheats? Sure it's essential spending isn't it? For the disadvantaged etc? You mean there could be people cheating the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Clearly if you live in Tottenham, you can't be expected to travel more than a mile to find work. :rolleyes:

I wish I'd known that before I spent several years commuting from Tottenham to central London.:( And my husband often used to go all the way out to SW London, which was nearly a 3 hour round trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Instead of arguing anymore in here with people who seem intent on turning everything I say into a strawman, I suggest people read the following blog post.

http://pennyred.blogspot.com/2011/08/panic-on-streets-of-london.html

I ;)

Fook me pink.
    You now reckon Chavs is a discriminatory term like Queer or N****.

Yes it is. It is used in the same way as Scum, Paddies, Micks, Pikeys, **** etc.
    A term used to demean.

The rest of your post was just reactionary ****e tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

You can blame the government all you want, but really, its the parents in most cases who are the ones to blame. They have to accept responsibility and not expect the government to raise their kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

jmayo wrote: »

Fook me pink.
    :(

some will find it offensive as it is the Roma word for 'boy'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

It was merely an example of non essential government spending, which remains even though essential spending is being hacked at.

So you deem it non essential because in general it's not frequented by the type of people that were involved in the riots? Government funding doesn't exist solely for them. In fact, visits to the Royal Opera House, museums and theatres would probably do them more good than a youth club in their estate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Happyman42 wrote: »
    A term used to demean.
    We couldn't demean them if they didn't demean themselves. You'd swear being a chav was a birth defect or something; it's not. It's a lifestyle choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

50 applicants for every vacancy in Tottenham. Great plan, I can't believe no one has ever thought of that before.

And yet Australians and others that I know are walking straight into jobs in bars, restaurants and kitchens within a couple of days of turning up to London. But of course jobs like these are beneath those that would rather nick their tellys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Instead of arguing anymore in here with people who seem intent on turning everything I say into a strawman, I suggest people read the following blog post.

http://pennyred.blogspot.com/2011/08/panic-on-streets-of-london.html

What a load of bollix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

You want me to prevent all the research here?
    All I said was 'there is loads of research out there' that was my point.

the only thing i want you to prevent is embarassing yourself.

'there is a lot of research out there' on young earth creationism. It doesnt make it valid

We couldn't demean them if they didn't demean themselves. You'd swear being a chav was a birth defect or something; it's not. It's a lifestyle choice.

Monty, the way you use terms like chav or scum are not terms of endearments. :rolleyes:

the only thing i want you to prevent is embarassing yourself.

'there is a lot of research out there' on young earth creationism. It doesnt make it valid

:D finally, you got to make your point.:rolleyes:

prinz wrote: »
    What a load of bollix.
    Indeed. I LOLed at this bit:
    Most of the people who will be writing, speaking and pontificating about the disorder this weekend have absolutely no idea what it is like to grow up in a community where there are no jobs, no space to live or move, and the police are on the streets stopping-and-searching you as you come home from school.
    ...pontificated one middle-class woman who has no idea what it is like to grow up in a community where there are no jobs, no space to live or move, and the police are on the streets stopping-and-searching you as you come home from school.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

steve9859 wrote: »
    And yet Australians and others that I know are walking straight into jobs in bars, restaurants and kitchens within a couple of days of turning up to London. But of course jobs like these are beneath those that would rather nick their tellys

Its well known in pub landlord circles that Aussies are great for barwork, its instinct, iiiiinstinct.

Monty, the way you use terms like chav or scum are not terms of endearments. :rolleyes:
    It's not meant to be. It's a fitting label for people who kick old men to death, use cars to kill people defending their communities, burn down small businesses, and rob people under the guise of helping them. I just don't like people like that. I'm sure they don't like me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Very powerful from that man who's son was killed last night.

It's not meant to be. It's a fitting label for people who kick old men to death, use cars to kill people defending their communities, burn down small businesses, and rob people under the guise of helping them. I just don't like people like that. I'm sure they don't like me either.

'Criminals' will suffice. It will also cover those who rob from the poor under the guise of helping them. Equality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭decembersun77

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sorry, but where do you feel the tension in Dublin all the time?

I didn't say all the time but generally at some point every day I feel some level of tension while walking around Dublin

I feel tension at times during the day in Dublin city centre especially after 8pm on o connell street. And in many parts of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yes it is. It is used in the same way as Scum, Paddies, Micks, Pikeys, **** etc.
    A term used to demean.

So what exactly then is a chav ?
    Are people born chavs like they were born Paddies, Micks, N**** ?
    AFAIK and as other poster stated they chose to wear burbury, not work, wear hoodies, etc, etc.
    The rest of your post was just reactionary ****e tbh.

I bow to your superior knowledge in the area of s***e.
    some will find it offensive as it is the Roma word for 'boy'

Fook it I should have sued my cousins in Kerry for calling me "J**** Boy".
    It was discrimatory.

Perhaps you think engaging in anti social behaviour is endearing ?
    I don't.
    BTW what is wrong with calling people scum that go out burn, pillage and rob in their neighbourhood ?

I am not allowed discuss …

'Criminals' will suffice. It will also cover those who rob from the poor under the guise of helping them. Equality.
    What about the ones who aren't criminals, but are just chavs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Very powerful from that man who's son was killed last night.

Yes, however how is he soooo calm about it ??? Seems very odd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭norris_minor

paddyandy wrote: »
    Always simmering on the back burner the media keeps telling people "you're nobody without this car/girl/home/yacht/jet/fame/mobile/ and now it's boiling over.Did anyone predict this????Probably but kept quiet.

yes. The rap culture, mostly.

their rap heroes in the media doing it were the only ones they would actually aspire to. Usually within a youth culture what the squares are saying you should live you'd revolt against. punks for instance. Rap has no agenda or vision, big picture other than the individual getting rich, or dying trying. which of course means by criminal methods.. it's selfish, small minded and greedy, fllaunting a new standard of idiocy and degeneracy. Bling, flash cars and jewellery etc were considered extremely naff by rockers past be they rasta punk or headbanger, but the new chav culture of rave intertwined with rap is obsessed with those things and only feels disenfranchised because it does not have the ridiculous bling the rappers who play right into the music industry's hands project. Riches, bitches blahblahblah they are disturbingly stupid, and it is disturbingly popular. combined with modern disco (rave) it dictates mainstream culture after 2-3 decades of it only ever growing and we're left with morally degenerate, thrashy chav people masquerading as high-end or with the desire to. Else they must be poor, innit. the culture is obsessed with Capitalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭suspectdevice

i'm confused as to how that relates to the riots? whats the connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

50 applicants for every vacancy in Tottenham. Great plan, I can't believe no one has ever thought of that before.

Do they have to find work in Tottenham? Is there not a Tube station around, or am I mistaken?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

saw some man ask a mother how she sees little wrong with what was going on. her reply.... "have you got kids?"

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭norris_minor

i'm confused as to how that relates to the riots? whats the connection?

toddle off, you pop punk ******.

Clemence...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

jmayo wrote: »
    I would be in favour of punishment ala Singapore, but did I ever say kill them all ?
    So please next time leave out the sarcastic hyperbole.

No there weren't cops getting kicked, but there were totally defenseless people being mugged and robbed.
    Maybe some of the cops remember a colleague of theirs being hacked to death in 1985 by rioters in London ?
    Ever hear the old saying "If you live the sword you ..." ?

Ah yes the poor misfortunates.
    And yes there have been numerous studies done by bleeding heart liberals who think the rest of us are reposnsible for others not getting off their ars*s.
    According to your criteria I bet you would find people like Alan Sugar was born marginalised and disenfranchised.
    Then again he worked hard and made something of his life whilst others chose to look for someone to blame and hand them things.

Ah yes we should all understand that these people have a right to rebel when they are not being handed what is their by rights.
    You see how easy it is to do sarcasm. ;)

Fook me pink.
    :(

BTW was Elvis singing about a bricks and mortar ghetto or a mindset one ?

to compare what happened in this video to other videos of the actual rioting and looting makes no sense,

if the guys on the bike were coming out of a store with merchandise, sure go get stuck in, if they were in a sizeable group creating terror, sure get stuck in,

if they were holding someone down on the ground and hitting them while empting their pockets, sure get stuck in.

so your thinking is, the cops who saw their colleague chopped up should kick the fook out of anyone they think is capable of doing it, even though they were just eating icecream.

i hope your not a cop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Tears streaming down my face watching the father of one of the lads killed in Birmingham, every parents nightmare. So disturbed by this all.

Just watching the BBC news and find it shocking that a "learning mentor" classroom assistant in a primary school has been done for burglary at the riots. Some mentor!

Advertisement