Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I didn't say all the time but generally at some point every day I feel some level of tension while walking around Dublin

I feel tension at times during the day in Dublin city centre especially after 8pm on o connell street. And in many parts of Dublin.

That's because your underpants are too tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

toddle off, you pop punk ******.

Clemence...

Your posts are literally incomprehensible to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

irish-stew wrote: »
    An example of some of the people charged, being brought to justice. From the London Evening Standard website. They includ a teacher .....

Whose "..... humiliation was complete when he left court with a newspaper covering his face and walked into a lamp post."

That's just fucking priceless! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Yahew wrote: »
    Do they have to find work in Tottenham? Is there not a Tube station around, or am I mistaken?

You are correct. When I got my job I moved house to suit it. It's all about how much you want it.
    to compare what happened in this video to other videos of the actual rioting and looting makes no sense,

if the guys on the bike were coming out of a store with merchandise, sure go get stuck in, if they were in a sizeable group creating terror, sure get stuck in,

if they were holding someone down on the ground and hitting them while empting their pockets, sure get stuck in.

so your thinking is, the cops who saw their colleague chopped up should kick the fook out of anyone they think is capable of doing it, even though they were just eating icecream.

i hope your not a cop.

At 1.04 in the video the cop clearly throws something over the wall. i would put money on it being a weapon, which would be perfect justification for going in hard imho.
    Witchie wrote: »
    Tears streaming down my face watching the father of one of the lads killed in Birmingham, every parents nightmare. So disturbed by this all.

Just watching the BBC news and find it shocking that a "learning mentor" classroom assistant in a primary school has been done for burglary at the riots. Some mentor!

Hopefully a now unemployed learning mentor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

jmayo wrote: »
    So what exactly then is a chav ?
    Are people born chavs like they were born Paddies, Micks, N**** ?
    AFAIK and as other poster stated they chose to wear burbury, not work, wear hoodies, etc, etc.

Perhaps you think engaging in anti social behaviour is endearing ?
    I don't.
    BTW what is wrong with calling people scum that go out burn, pillage and rob in their neighbourhood ?

No I think that indulging in the politics of condemnation from over here in Ireland or on an Irish forum is ridiculous and pointless. I would rather discuss the reasons and the solutions that may be possible.
    What about the ones who aren't criminals, but are just chavs?

I love the way you and others try and wriggle out of accusations of racist behaviour. You described Chavs as....
    ' It's a fitting label for people who kick old men to death, use cars to kill people defending their communities, burn down small businesses, and rob people under the guise of helping them. I just don't like people like that. I'm sure they don't like me either.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Originally Posted by hatrickpatrick
    Instead of arguing anymore in here with people who seem intent on turning everything I say into a strawman, I suggest people read the following blog post.

http://pennyred.blogspot.com/2011/08...of-london.html

Author is a 24 yr old feminist?

Not reading that.

Ricardo G wrote: »
    Yes, however how is he soooo calm about it ??? Seems very odd

Religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

Namlub wrote: »
    Your posts are literally incomprehensible to me...

Is he talking about the Jello Biafra reference?

I don't think you could call the dead Kennedys pop punk in fairness.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭doc_17

Beat the rioters hard and often. Michael Noonan was right all those years ago trying to ban hoodies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

yes. The rap culture, mostly.

their rap heroes in the media doing it were the only ones they would actually aspire to. Usually within a youth culture what the squares are saying you should live you'd revolt against. punks for instance. Rap has no agenda or vision, big picture other than the individual getting rich, or dying trying. which of course means by criminal methods.. it's selfish, small minded and greedy, fllaunting a new standard of idiocy and degeneracy. Bling, flash cars and jewellery etc were considered extremely naff by rockers past be they rasta punk or headbanger, but the new chav culture of rave intertwined with rap is obsessed with those things and only feels disenfranchised because it does not have the ridiculous bling the rappers who play right into the music industry's hands project. Riches, bitches blahblahblah they are disturbingly stupid, and it is disturbingly popular. combined with modern disco (rave) it dictates mainstream culture after 2-3 decades of it only ever growing and we're left with morally degenerate, thrashy chav people masquerading as high-end or with the desire to. Else they must be poor, innit. the culture is obsessed with Capitalism.

I really think this (look up) is a big part of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭suspectdevice

toddle off, you pop punk ******.

Clemence...

i assume by your post that you can't answer the question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I love the way you and others try and wriggle out of accusations of racist behaviour. You described Chavs as....
    ' It's a fitting label for people who kick old men to death, use cars to kill people defending their communities, burn down small businesses, and rob people under the guise of helping them. I just don't like people like that. I'm sure they don't like me either.'
    Are you saying that chavs are a race? :confused:
    Do you understand the difference between things that you can change, and things that you can't?

Here's a handy guide:

Things you can't change:
    Race
    Physical disability

Things you can change:
    Behaviour

I'm curious to hear more about your proposed 'chav race' - can you tell us more about where they originated, and how they came to be in Britain, blended with the native population?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Seanbeag1 wrote: »
    You are correct. When I got my job I moved house to suit it. It's all about how much you want it.

At 1.04 in the video the cop clearly throws something over the wall. i would put money on it being a weapon, which would be perfect justification for going in hard imho.

Hopefully a now unemployed learning mentor.

throwing away evidence?

they started to attack at the street junction, i would put money on it there is no way he could see anything he was carrying,

anyway the force they used was once again over the top and once again they were the many against the few,

they are the law, but hey dont dare speak out if they act like the scum.

they are in a position of power and trust, i seen the power but the trust went right out the window.

Do you understand the difference between things that you can change, and things that you can't?

Here's a handy guide:

Things you can't change:
    Race
    Physical disability

Things you can change:
    Behaviour

I'm curious to hear more about your proposed 'chav race' - can you tell us more about where they originated, and how they came to be in Britain, blended with the native population?

i do believe most of the things you think can not be changed can.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

doc_17 wrote: »
    Beat the rioters hard and often. Michael Noonan was right all those years ago trying to ban hoodies!

No he wasn't. Sure the only reason all this violence is happening is because of hoodies isn't it...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

SangatTV getting record viewing figures.

i do believe most of the things you think can not be changed can.
    I don't think most people are in a position to get up in the morning and say to themselves, "do you know what - this isn't working out very well. Today I'm going to change my gender/race/sexuality/physical disability". :)

No he wasn't. Sure the only reason all this violence is happening is because of hoodies isn't it...:rolleyes:
    I doubt it. But it does frustrate attempts to identify the scummers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

aren't gender reassignment surgeries covered by the nhs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Here's a handy guide:

Things you can't change:
    Race
    Physical disability

Things you can change:
    Behaviour

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Are you denying that you used the term Chav in a pejorative and pernicious way? Have you used the term Scumbags in a similar way?

'It's a fitting label for people who kick old men to death, use cars to kill people defending their communities, burn down small businesses, and rob people under the guise of helping them. I just don't like people like that. I'm sure they don't like me either.'

• Advertisement

I don't think most people are in a position to get up in the morning and say to themselves, "do you know what - this isn't working out very well. Today I'm going to change my gender/race/sexuality/physical disability". :)

if their only saying it i dont see the harm;)

throwing away evidence?

they started to attack at the street junction, i would put money on it there is no way he could see anything he was carrying,

anyway the force they used was once again over the top and once again they were the many against the few,

they are the law, but hey dont dare speak out if they act like the scum.

they are in a position of power and trust, i seen the power but the trust went right out the window.

Seems to me, that some posters on here are trying their best to spot holes in the cops behaviour. One little slip up by a policeman and they forget all of the sh**e that the rioters have caused.

Thousands of violent, angry rioters causing massive damage, and deaths and you moan about the police. :confused:

Some people just HATE cops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭decembersun77

listermint wrote: »
    Given the geographical location, the systems and resources in place in the United Kingdom. It is far far far easier for a young person in brixton to get themselves off the poverty ladder than say a young person in new delhi. Your apologising for youths that have an innate lazyness in them, many of whom have access to opportunity that simply dont exist elswhere but they choose to spit back in the face of society.

Too much rap video bling not enough hard work and morals.

I hate apologists! I really really hate them.

Well, there is a BIG difference between India and Uk. There is 1 billion people the second most populated race after china. There is abject poverty in disadvantaged areas of indian cities. In the uk that kind of poverty is rare, most people and groups of society have access to support and resources such as welfare, education, health care and housing.

Seems to me, that some posters on here are trying their best to spot holes in the cops behaviour. One little slip up by a policeman and they forget all of the sh**e that the rioters have caused.

Thousands of violent, angry rioters causing massive damage, and deaths and you moan about the police. :confused:

i agree with you just get the guys on the bikes.

aren't gender reassignment surgeries covered by the nhs?

What has that got to do with the price of cabbage?
    Are you denying that you used the term Chav in a pejorative and pernicious way? Have you used the term Scumbags in a similar way?

:confused::confused:
    if their only saying it i dont see the harm
    (They're, they and are)

Not sure if trolling or just . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭suspectdevice

but didn't the cops shoot someone dead? is that not the cause of all this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

'It's a fitting label for people who kick old men to death, use cars to kill people defending their communities, burn down small businesses, and rob people under the guise of helping them. I just don't like people like that. I'm sure they don't like me either.'

Do you think it is a response with any kind of intellectual merit in the least? He is using a label for a people to describe an action by those people, it is you who are bringing race into it. When confronted on it you repeat the same old nonsense.

No. I'm not denying it at all. What is your point? Are you withdrawing your claim that calling people 'chavs' is racist? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

but didn't the cops shoot someone dead?

Yes. Probably well within their rights, given that they recovered a gun from him, him being a known gangsta man.
    is that not the cause of all this?

No. You think scumbags looting corner shops in Manchester has anything to do with the incident above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

but didn't the cops shoot someone dead? is that not the cause of all this?

seriously? you think that is the cause?

Advertisement