Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

throwing away evidence?

they started to attack at the street junction, i would put money on it there is no way he could see anything he was carrying,

anyway the force they used was once again over the top and once again they were the many against the few,

they are the law, but hey dont dare speak out if they act like the scum.

they are in a position of power and trust, i seen the power but the trust went right out the window.

Evidence is no the priority in a riot situation. You have little knowledge of what they did and didn't know. It's very possible that they had been informed that they were armed and the force was proportional to this threat.
    i do believe most of the things you think can not be changed can.

Do you chang skin colour often?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Well, there is a BIG difference between India and Uk. There is 1 billion people the second most populated race after china. There is abject poverty in disadvantaged areas of indian cities. In the uk that kind of poverty is rare, most people and groups of society have access to support and resources such as welfare, education, health care and housing.
    It's not rare, it's non-existent. If you haven't been to what I believe we now call a 'develolping country' in PC, or what I'd call a third world country, then you have no idea what poverty really is. You can read about it, or see it on TV a million times, and you still won't take in at a visceral level what it is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

but didn't the cops shoot someone dead? is that not the cause of all this?

That is a matter for the courts. I doubt all the rioters were in his gang. So, who the hell are they? Opportunistic scumbags. (Quite like the Royal Family in some respects, a bit OT though).

Also, whatever happened to the lovely gun-toting drug dealer, doesn't excuse the 3 innocent deaths last night, the nightly rampages and whatever beatings and terror ensue.

There is NOTHING that can justify all the sh*t that's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭suspectdevice

seriously? you think that is the cause?

no i don't thinks its the cause. it would be stupid for anyone to say what the cause is right now. they are many and varied

at the same time it would also be stupid to say what it not the cause

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

throwing away evidence?

they started to attack at the street junction, i would put money on it there is no way he could see anything he was carrying,

anyway the force they used was once again over the top and once again they were the many against the few,

they are the law, but hey dont dare speak out if they act like the scum.

they are in a position of power and trust, i seen the power but the trust went right out the window.

Totally justified. Anyone who went out rioting knew the police were going to be serious. More of this kind of thing will stop people rioting in the future and should be encouraged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Yahew wrote: »
    Do you think it is a response with any kind of intellectual merit in the least? He is using a label for a people to describe an action by those people, it is you who are bringing race into it. When confronted on it you repeat the same old nonsense.
    Race is classification of humans into large and distinct populations or groups by factors such as heritable phenotypic characteristics or geographic ancestry, but also often influenced by and correlated with traits such as appearance, culture, ethnicity, and socio-economic status.

Pay attention to the last few terms in the definition above. I used the word racist with a small 'r'.
    Please be pedantic with somebody else.

at the same time it would also be stupid to say what it not the cause
    Not really. I think it was the proximate cause of the initial trouble on the first night in Tottenham. I'd say it has nothing to do with the subsequent rioting in Manchester, Birmingham etc., and very little to do with the rioting in London after the first night (only in that it was the proximate cause of the rioting that opened the door for the subsequent riots).

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Race is classification of humans into large and distinct populations or groups by factors such as heritable phenotypic characteristics or geographic ancestry, but also often influenced by and correlated with traits such as appearance, culture, ethnicity, and socio-economic status.

Pay attention to the last few terms in the definition above. I used the word racist with a small 'r'.
    So you are persisting with the chav race idea? Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

wild_cat wrote: »
    Is he talking about the Jello Biafra reference?

I don't think you could call the dead Kennedys pop punk in fairness.....

Nah he's on about dubstep, grime and UK hip hop and to a degree, US gangsta rap, 90's rave/house/techno and any other music he doesn't like.

To blame the music itself for this is laughable...no doubt that some of the snetiments and lifestyles espoused by gangsta rap (also born out of perceived social deprivation) are perhaps damaging to impressionable youth, doesn't take away from the fact that life doesn't imitate art...it's the other way round.

Oh and please don't bore us with the "this sh*te isn't art, it's just noise" line...again it's subjective and depends on your POV...

Good laugh seeing some of those eejits coming out of court earlier. I particulalrly liked the guy that found the blu ray player in the street :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭suspectdevice

Not really. I think it was the proximate cause of the initial trouble on the first night in Tottenham. I'd say it has nothing to do with the subsequent rioting in Manchester, Birmingham etc., and very little to do with the rioting in London after the first night (only in that it was the proximate cause of the rioting that opened the door for the subsequent riots).
    you say too much too soon then. do you think it a political situation?
    prinz wrote: »
    No. You think scumbags looting corner shops in Manchester has anything to do with the incident above?

no way. its just pure coincidence that events happened up and down the country in the inner cities at the same time.
    That is a matter for the courts. I doubt all the rioters were in his gang. So, who the hell are they? Opportunistic scumbags.
    angry young people fed up with the boot on the back of their neck perhaps. they are organised and they are fearless. there is probably an element of opportunism in the looting but most of those protesting are not looting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

If Chav is a racist word then so is asshole, idiot, knobhead and any other insult you can think of.

Its a way to describe somebody's behaviour.

angry young people fed up with the boot on the back of their neck perhaps.
    What boot on the neck? These f*ckwits live in luxury that my grandparents would have dreamed about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Hearing about some of the chavs up in court know, 14 year old girl done for nicking a camera and a games console from an Argos. Yes, it was obviously her way of fighting against the inequalities of the socio-economic system in the UK.

If Chav is a racist word then so is asshole, idiot, knobhead and any other insult you can think of.

Its a way to describe somebody's behaviour.
    Hey hey hey - careful now, you don't want to get banned for insulting the asshole race. It's not their fault that they are assholes.

So you are persisting with the chav race idea? Interesting.

You can't hide behind pedantry Monty. :rolleyes::D

You can't hide behind pedantry Monty. :rolleyes::D
    You don't even have an argument. What the hell are you saying? What am I hiding from?

You think it is wrong to call people chavs, is that it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Pay attention to the terms you didn't hilight in red. They are far more important definitions of race, and clearly the red bits are correlative of the cause ( of race): i.e. heritable Phenotype and geographical ancestry. Culture also correlates, and ethnicity is another way of saying it.

( this remedial piece of logic and knowledge was brought to you all by Yahew).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭decembersun77

It's not rare, it's non-existent. If you haven't been to what I believe we now call a 'develolping country' in PC, or what I'd call a third world country, then you have no idea what poverty really is. You can read about it, or see it on TV a million times, and you still won't take in at a visceral level what it is about.

Well I said it's abject poverty, people don't know where their next meal is, their living conditions are in little huts. I know that is deep poverty. That was what my point was about! In the Uk that situation does happen on a very small scale.

you say too much too soon then. do you think it a political situation?
    Nope.

In the Uk that situation does happen on a very small scale.
    Where? How?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

no way. its just pure coincidence that events happened up and down the country in the inner cities at the same time.

It's called being organsed and knowing that a few hundred coppers can't be everywhere at once. It has nothing to do with the police shooting.
    angry young people fed up with the boot on the back of their neck perhaps.

What boot?
    there is probably an element of opportunism in the looting but most of those protesting are not looting.

'Probably' LOL. What are most of them doing so? Peacefully protesting?

No it's not...honestly! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Seanbeag1 wrote: »
    Evidence is no the priority in a riot situation. You have little knowledge of what they did and didn't know. It's very possible that they had been informed that they were armed and the force was proportional to this threat.

Do you chang skin colour often?

sorry i did not realise 2 guys on bikes and 2 girls walking was a riot, the cops seemed to have little knowledge themselves as they were heading forward only shifting direction after seeing the bikers (on small bikes granted)

but your right they deserved the **** kicked out of them, just in case they were involved or they knew someone who was involved,

on the skin color change, i do between summer and winter, there is a very big difference sometimes.

Because there exists a race of chavs? You realise that you could have two brothers, one of whom is a chav and the other isn't?

This is an odd race.

Honestly.

It is.

Because there exists a race of chavs? You realise that you could have two brothers, one of whom is a chav and the other isn't?

This is an odd race.

There's a race of redheads if we follow his insane logic.

there is probably an element of opportunism in the looting but most of those protesting are not looting.
    Epic. Can you show us some pictures of these protests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Honestly.

It is.

lol.

No, it really isn't.
    You don't actually appear to have any argument for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Totally justified. Anyone who went out rioting knew the police were going to be serious. More of this kind of thing will stop people rioting in the future and should be encouraged.

your going to have to show me where they were rioting or am i missing something.

• Advertisement

There's a race of redheads if we follow his insane logic.
    Don't forget the race of emos. A sad race.

Advertisement