Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

SV wrote: »
    lol.

No, it really isn't.
    You don't actually appear to have any argument for this one.
    You also believe in the race of chavs? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

SV wrote: »
    lol.

No, it really isn't.
    You don't actually appear to have any argument for this one.

I already gave my remedial argument, about why chavs are not a race, in the previous post. I could keep repeating that post, but it's clearly facile.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭suspectdevice

prinz wrote: »
    It's called being organsed and knowing that a few hundred coppers can't be everywhere at once. It has nothing to do with the police shooting.
    you don't know what it has to do with, do you?
    What boot?
    the boot that keeps them down ang gives them no way out
    'Probably' LOL. What are most of them doing so? Peacefully protesting?
    even if its violent protest, do you think the vast majority of protesters are looting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Yahew wrote: »
    Pay attention to the terms you didn't hilight in red. They are far more important definitions of race, and clearly the red bits are correlative of the cause ( of race) heritable Phenotype and geographical ancestry. Culture also correlates, and ethnicity is another way of saying it.

( this remedial piece of logic and knowledge was brought to you all by Yahew).

One thing professor....where does it say 'cause' in that definition I posted?

Next lesson....the difference in everyday usage between the words Politics and politics.
    Big letter, wee letter Dougal!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Are racing drivers a race?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭decembersun77

Where? How?

Is there people living in little huts and slums in parts of the disadvantaged areas in the uk's cities? Where they have little to no food to feed themselves and their children so they collect bottles and look throught waste dumps for anything they can sell to feed their family. Where there is inadequate sanitation, impure drinking water leading to death and disease such as leprosy. Is this poverty in the uk?

Happyman42 wrote: »

Next lesson....the difference in everyday usage between the words Politics and politics.
    Big letter, wee letter Dougal!
    After this piece of transparent evasion, would you like to explain how siblings can belong to the chav and non-chav races?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

your going to have to show me where they were rioting or am i missing something.

Given that there were hundreds of rioters out I dont see why they would target some random person minding their own business. The fact they ran from the police verified that even more.

If you are cynical about the police you can guess they attacked random people for no reason. Personally I think its more likely they attacked one of the hundreds of rioters. Just logic.

Is there people living in little huts and slums in parts of the disadvantaged areas in the uk's cities? Where they have little to no food to feed themselves and their children so they collect bottles and look throught waste dumps for anything they can sell to feed their family. Where there is inadequate sanitation, impure drinking water leading to death and disease such as leprosy. Is this poverty in the uk?
    Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

you don't know what it has to do with, do you?

Are you going to enlighten me so? What does a 14 year old girl thieving a games console from Argos have to do with an armed police unit shooting an armed known gun dealer during an arrest attempt?
    the boot that keeps them down ang gives them no way out

You mean like the 30 odd year old teacher already up in court? Yeah, obviously he had no way out....
    even if its violent protest, do you think the vast majority of protesters are looting

Looting, vandalism, arson, violence, running over three young men and killing them in your car...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I think the problem here with the word chav is that it is used to identify whole swathes of people who wear certain clothes, listen to certain types of music and live in certain areas and fall into a certain income bracket...it is used to label and that label is then used to judge on appearance before the fact, rather than as a put down for people that have proven worthy of the term scumbag for their anti social or criminal actions and not simply their outward appearance.

After this piece of transparent evasion, would you like to explain how siblings can belong to the chav and non-chav races?

It's time to grow up Monty and face up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The estimate cost so far for all this as it stands is £100 million with all the major shopping centres like The Arndale in Manchester and Liverpool ONE closing there doors early tonight and it's pretty much same elsewhere .

The good people of all London, ,Manchester,Liverpool ,Birmingham who have come together to help clean up after the rioting are to be applauded .They are the ones who matter , the ones who will stand up and be counted against the small minority and not allow them to destroy their citys .

Many questions and issues have being raised but one that has cropped up is people , including ex policemen called back to assist saying '' some politicians over the years had been harping on about police handling of public disturbances but if they ( police) had being allowed to do their job in the first place without interference ,they would have being able to respond to these disturbances in a much tougher and stronger fashion instead of the softly approach we had '' .

To?

Latchy wrote: »
    The estimate cost so far for all this as it stands is £100 million with all the major shopping centres like The Arndale in Manchester and Liverpool ONE closing there doors early tonight and it's pretty much same elsewhere .

The good people of all London, ,Manchester,Liverpool ,Birmingham who have come together to help clean up after the rioting are to be applauded .They are the ones who matter , the ones who will stand up and be counted against the small minority and not allow them to destroy their citys .

Many questions and issues have being raised but one that has cropped up is people , including ex policemen called back to assist saying '' some politicians over the years had been harping on about police handling of public disturbances but if they ( police) had being allowed to do their job in the first place without interference ,they would have being able to respond to these disturbances in a much tougher and stronger fashion instead of the softly approach we had '' .

The police abused their powers over and over again and they had to be curtailed. The answer is not more police powers but responsible and well monitored policing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

you say too much too soon then. do you think it a political situation?

no way. its just pure coincidence that events happened up and down the country in the inner cities at the same time.

angry young people fed up with the boot on the back of their neck perhaps. they are organised and they are fearless. there is probably an element of opportunism in the looting but most of those protesting are not looting.

Ah the old doo gooder civil liberties shyte. What about the decent people living in these areas who never took part in any trouble but are afraid of these gangs of louts. So much so that they are afraid to go to their corner shop after dark for fear of these sub-human elements robbing them.
    This crowd of "poor wee angels" are not searched for nothing you know. People are very much afraid of these gangs. But blame the police for doing their job as all you civil liberty types always do. Its a pity they didn't wade into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭doc_17

No he wasn't. Sure the only reason all this violence is happening is because of hoodies isn't it...:rolleyes:

Yes he did, I heard it on Gift Grub a few years ago.....all the above was said tounge firmly in cheek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

sorry i did not realise 2 guys on bikes and 2 girls walking was a riot, the cops seemed to have little knowledge themselves as they were heading forward only shifting direction after seeing the bikers (on small bikes granted).

The description on the video says they were being followed via helicopter from a riot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

If there is a shortage of places in prisons in the UK, I have a great solution.

Find an uninhabited island (rock) off the coast of England, further north the better (colder).

Ship all the looters/rioters/thieves/thugs to this island to serve their sentences.

They are only allowed wear the clothes they were wearing while looting - hoodies are great for extreme cold :D

For food they only get Tesco brand rice.
    One lighter between every five people.
    One roll of bog roll each on arrival.
    No guards - leave them to amuse each other on the island.

Oh.. and when their sentence is finished they get to swim home.

Hello?

To what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Nothing to report tonight??

Went quiet very quickly. Suppose it could change when it gets dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭norris_minor

the skanger culture also heralded a dramatically higher instance of broken homes. one such reason was fathers were less likely to stick around and father the child they had sown; often with a bun in another oven whilst mothers oft only wished to have the child with a view to lone parent's allowance and other benefits whilst the father was done away with. Discarded. mostly to his satisfaction so he could philander elsewhere in the event he not already been doing so.. All this, to the sound of rave/hip-hop and it's own many offshoots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Hello?

To what?

Just leave it, let the madness end !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Phenomenally Phrank

Typical scumbags on power trips. Kicking people who are lying on the ground :mad:

You're the scumbag, STFU.

mod: poster banned.

Skunkle wrote: »
    Just leave it, let the madness end !
    I'd love to, but he's persisting with this 'chav race' thing, and claiming that I have no answer - without providing a question!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Given that there were hundreds of rioters out I dont see why they would target some random person minding their own business. The fact they ran from the police verified that even more.

If you are cynical about the police you can guess they attacked random people for no reason. Personally I think its more likely they attacked one of the hundreds of rioters. Just logic.

they were on bikes, to be honest if i came upon cops running down the street i think i would swing her around and move quick sharpish,

the girls that were on the foothpath went into a bit of a wee jog themselves but it seems because they were girls there is no way they were involved, even though they also were in the same area.

i would like to of seen the cops staying on the course they set of in which was probably towards the mob, instead of stopping for a practice run,

and i sure dont not want to give them the power of logic either, give them the orders they should respond, we dont want to be confusing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

It didn't. I was explaining cause and correlation to you.

In everyday usage there would be no difference. Well, to be fair, politics can be capitalised if it comes at the start of the sentence, otherwise you dont capitalise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I'd love to, but he's persisting with this 'chav race' thing, and claiming that I have no answer - without providing a question!

There is no Chav race ffs. Or emo race.

They're all sub-cultures.

Like Punks, Teddy boys, Mods, Rockers, Metallers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

I'm just as confused as you are as to how a stereotype constitutes a race but you have to stop encouraging these people.

• Advertisement

Yahew wrote: »
    In everyday usage there would be no difference. Well, to be fair, politics can be capitalised if it comes at the start of the sentence, otherwise you dont capitalise it.
    To be fair, I think he realises everyone knows he was talking out of his arse with the 'race of chavs' stuff, and now he's only trolling us.

Advertisement