Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,164 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ruu wrote: »
    This is so, so sad, the depths some people will go to. I used to walk along the bridge all the time. Poor lad. :(

Anyone else who would just love to beat the living **** out of that guy who stole from that poor lad..

What a sneaky prick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Brave woman on BBC news now :)

She stood outside her hair salon last night and stood there while looters passed by.

She kept telling them they weren't going to wreck her business and they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭suspectdevice

prinz wrote: »
    Are you going to enlighten me so? What does a 14 year old girl thieving a games console from Argos have to do with an armed police unit shooting an armed known gun dealer during an arrest attempt?
    no. i'll admit i don't know. it is too early to figure out. they will have to look at the psychology of looting and how it might be indicative of the beaten down lives and having an opportunity for once to access the things that you crave in society but you are deprived access to. they didn't steal basic requirements like food, or the major rich brands like gucci, they have gone after the jd sports and argus products. the ones that are shoved in their face everyday but they cannot attain because they are probably on low wages, if any, and have no means of getting credit
    You mean like the 30 odd year old teacher already up in court? Yeah, obviously he had no way out....
    i know teachers here who have no way out either. but who is to say what sort of nutjob manages to end up in what job. its not the fact that hes a teacher thats disturbing, its the fact that hes 30 odd years old, slipped through the system, concealed his anger and is responsible for kids in his everyday life.
    Looting, vandalism, arson, violence, running over three young men and killing them in your car...

yeah like all of them committed that crime. and who knows what goes on in these situations. have a look at koreatown in la. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmsKGhLdZuQ&feature=related

Ah the old doo gooder civil liberties shyte. What about the decent people living in these areas who never took part in any trouble but are afraid of these gangs of louts. So much so that they are afraid to go to their corner shop after dark for fear of these sub-human elements robbing them.
    This crowd of "poor wee angels" are not searched for nothing you know. People are very much afraid of these gangs. But blame the police for doing their job as all you civil liberty types always do. Its a pity they didn't wade into them.

sad that you can't differentiate between someone trying to discuss a matter openly and someone who would condone such disgusting events. i think that says an awful lot more about your poisoned mind that ever does mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Then why did you object to my using the word 'chav' saying:

And you provided us with a Wikipedia definition of 'race'?

Anyway, I'll let it go.

I stand by what I said about racism. (small r)
    If you identify a group of people and label them for the purpose of demeaning them then you are indulging in racism. In this case, low level, but racism all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

shoot the bastards

• Advertisement

Happyman42 wrote: »
    If you identify a group of people and label them for the purpose of demeaning them then you are indulging in racism. In this case, low level, but racism all the same.

A bunch of criminals?

A gaggle of fraudsters?

A herd of rapists?

A swarm of child molestors?

Racism?

Sorry, just couldn't resist :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

ricero wrote: »
    shoot the bastards

which ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

The riots are a symptom of a dysfunctional society and show the need for reforms on how young people are employed by society.
    You cannot leave large numbers of people idle with little money and chance to take part in society and expect that you won't get a reaction. Each person should get a chance at training, education and a certain number of hours work each week to keep them busy and out of mischief.

Because we in the Western world insist on fixed length workweeks and a guaranteed amount of work in a works contract we end up with people being idle and ending up on the dole for long periods of time. Because work is now scarce and becoming scarcer it should be rationed out so that there is enough hours work for everyone who needs it, rather than the 80 or 90% who have the full-time jobs and permanently excluding a large percentage of people from ever getting a job. Some people will argue that allowing every trained and qualified person to participate in the workforce will reduce the overall quality of the work, that you need the threat of unemployment to keep workers compliant and reduce wage demands etc. but it should be possible to enlist surplus workers to do some government work in their skill areas for the benefit of all rather than paying them to do nothing and vegetate all day. It should be possible to arrange affairs so that working weeks can be reduced by enough to bring unemployment down to 3 or 4% the level usually accounted as being unavoidable due to changes in technology, workpractices etc.

Busy, occupied people don't generally get involved in such mindless rioting.

Family structures and school discipline should also be looked at. Is it right to let a child grow up without knowing right from wrong until they are adults then we lock them in jail? Discipline and correctly applied punishment should be applied earlier throughout their growing years. The state in many cases prohibits parents from controlling and disciplining their children then wonder why so many are "gone wild" and out of control. Because of the ban on corporal punishment parents are often afraid or unable to control their children with the results we can now see. In extreme cases corporal punishment or at least physical restraint is needed but the only people legally allowed to use it are police, prison officers, people being attacked and in immediate danger (self defence). How can a parent stop a child or young adult from going out rioting if they cannot physically restrain him without running foul of the law and social services themselves? Are the expected to report the child for disobedience or seek a restraining order? Some chance of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

i know teachers here who have no way out either. but who is to say what sort of nutjob manages to end up in what job. its not the fact that hes a teacher thats disturbing, its the fact that hes 30 odd years old, slipped through the system, concealed his anger and is responsible for kids in his everyday life.

Learning Mentor not a teacher
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23977230-looters-day-job-is-teaching-children.do

Equivalent of an SNA or so it seems.
    http://www.prospects.ac.uk/learning_mentor_job_description.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

This been posted yet?

Sweet.

• Advertisement

Latchy wrote: »
    There's a lot of very expierenced and well meaning ,front line policemen who know the boundrys between good and bad policing and yes they are accountable for their actions and do need to be monitered but in this type public disorder give me 'get tough over soft touch ' .

The police have in some places being made to look foolish when in a lot of cases it's because they have had theit hands tied .Sometimes you have to take the kid gloves off .

The trust of the police is very tenuous as it is, depending on good officers would be a dangerous charter.
    Have a look at this report, this is another reason why there are huge reservoirs of anger and disaffection out there.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/dec/03/deaths-police-custody-officers-convicted

In a civilised society you have to fix the cause of that alienation if you hope to progress.
    You will never get it 100% right but 333 deaths in custody and nobody convicted of even neglect of duty???? Please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Its America apparently, an old video. That said it is nice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

which ones?

the scumbags looting and killing and injuring innocent civilians. and while there at it they should go around to their parents houses and shoot them for raising such evil priks

This been posted yet?

Sweet.

:rolleyes: Vancouver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Man U fans?

Does anyone have Sangat tv link with sound.? Thanks .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

mikom wrote: »
    Man U fans?

Culchie is a racist term too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

:rolleyes: Vancouver.

its very easy for it to be the wrong vid title by mistake,

it could just as easy been called, helicopter following rioters

http://www.justin.tv/sangattelevision#/w/1598421888/5

I'm using this but I have no sound (speakers broken)

So I don't know if there is sound or not :o

foxinsox wrote: »
    http://www.justin.tv/sangattelevision#/w/1598421888/5

I'm using this but I have no sound (speakers broken)

So I don't know if there is sound or not :o

yeah thats the one I using, no sound :( Thanks tho :)

• Advertisement

Just saw this on Twitter, nice gesture. Sometimes the best of people comes out in times like this.
    Its regarding the elderly man, whos Barber shop was looted.

http://keepaaroncutting.blogspot.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The trust of the police is very tenuous as it is, depending on good officers would be a dangerous charter.
    Have a look at this report, this is another reason why there are huge reservoirs of anger and disaffection out there.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/dec/03/deaths-police-custody-officers-convicted
    In a civilised society you have to fix the cause of that alienation if you hope to progress.
    True

You will never get it 100% right but 333 deaths in custody and nobody convicted of even neglect of duty???? Please

Lets come at it from another angle .In war time , millions of men and women are sent off to fight which in these islands was for freedom against Fascisim and Communisim and millions of them died in that cause to give us the freedom we have today .

Now that may sound like old soap to a lot of younger people out there but that is why we have these freedoms .Should a couple of hundred gougers in each city be allowed to destroy in a few days what it took generations of people to build up ? ..including parts of there own neighbourhoods where they live ?

The whole Financial meltdown with the bankers and all it entails has affected 'everybody' in society including many of the older generation who fought in the last big wars ,people who should be enjoying their retirement .

As the man said ,riot control is all about the here and now zand of those 333 stats you give (unfortunate as they may be /are ) ...not now at this time when society itself is under threats .The fix society problems and the soloutions will come about but later ,but now it's all focused on preserving what we have .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Apparently loads of people were in Game today trying to trade in their brand new consoles that the looted from the game down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Sangat TV with sound..

http://cj-sports.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ConmanTheKiller

Hello Rioters. Look at your friend, now back to me. Now at your friend, now back to me. Sadly, he isn't me, but if he stopped using petrol bombs and started using job centre he could potentially be me. Look down, back up. Where are we? You're at an interview with the man your friend could work for. What's in your hand? Back at me. I have it. It's an application form to that job you need. Look again. The form is now money. Anything is possible when you get a job and stop looting. I'm on a horse.

Latchy wrote: »
    True

Lets come at it from another angle .In war time , millions of men and women are sent off to fight which in these islands was for freedom against Fascisim and Communisim and millions of them died in that cause to give us the freedom we have today .

Now that may sound like old soap to a lot of younger people out there but that is why we have these freedoms .Should a couple of hundred gougers in each city be allowed to destroy in a few days what it took generations of people to build up ? ..including parts of there own neighbourhoods where they live ?

The whole Financial meltdown with the bankers and all it entails has affected 'everybody' in society including many of the older generation who fought in the last big wars ,people who should be enjoying their retirement .

As the man said ,riot control is all about the here and now zand of those 333 stats you give (unfortunate as they may be /are ) ...not now at this time when society itself is under threats .The fix society problems and the soloutions will come about but later ,but now it's all focused on preserving what we have .

We need to step back from the Sky and media hype here, society is not about to implode.
    This will die down, but what must not happen is sweeping it under a carpet of platitudes and Tory rhetoric (starting already). The latent racism that has been evident everywhere on the net, in the media must not be allowed to fester, because sides will only become entrenched and the job gets much harder.
    It is fair warning though that something is rotten and needs fixing. The government and vested interests ignore the real job at their peril.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

the skanger culture also heralded a dramatically higher instance of broken homes. one such reason was fathers were less likely to stick around and father the child they had sown; often with a bun in another oven whilst mothers oft wished to have the child on part maternal instinct, but mostly with a view to lone parent's allowance and other benefits whilst the father was done away with. Discarded. mostly to his satisfaction so he could philander elsewhere in the event he not already been doing so.. this culture is not tied down to one class, especially since it permeated all walks of life though inevitably it is mostly the domain of the less well-off. who are now poorer of mind to add to their financial woes

..and all this, to the soundtrack of rave/hip-hop and it's own many offshoots. this culture is now the very backbone of society; went viral many years ago and dictated / influenced fasion and mainstream lifestyle to a profound effect.. indeed before many here were born; those who never saw it's emergence and gradual development into the society standard and are left clutching at straws with the very concept of a skanger and their unwitting chav vision.

you're like a broken record....or maybe a scratched one. Music has f*ck all to do with this...

Sky News now -

something going on in Eltham!

large police presence

looks like they are using a bus to herd people

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

The government and vested interests ignore the real job at their peril.
    They've been trying to address the real problem for the last 20 odd years with left-wing solutions. It hasn't worked. Perhaps a fresh approach might bring results.

Advertisement