Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Wertz wrote: »
    you're like a broken record....or maybe a scratched one. Music has f*ck all to do with this...

so why did they attack the music stores?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

just wondering does anyone know are things calm in the city centre? Or is there similar looting taking place still?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

They've been trying to address the real problem for the last 20 odd years with left-wing solutions. It hasn't worked. Perhaps a fresh approach might bring results.

Exactly. The carrot didn't work, it's time for the stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Why did people steal Tesco-brand rice?

Because it was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Watching a debate on CNN. Not much solutions by the left wing to these issues. Just keep talking about how these people are marginalised, criticising social housing for creating ghettos and saying that these people don't fit the regular life.

But none of them can provide solutions, things the government and society, who they keep blaming, can do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Wertz wrote: »
    you're like a broken record....or maybe a scratched one. Music has f*ck all to do with this...
    incorrect
    Morrissey has been predicting this **** for years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

They attacked all types of shops, if it had something they wanted, they robbed it, as was said, it's nothing to do with music!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

They've been trying to address the real problem for the last 20 odd years with left-wing solutions. It hasn't worked. Perhaps a fresh approach might bring results.

They have been window dressing for the last 20 years and a lot of the blame lies fairly and squarely with Labour. They have let their base down.
    A new and honest approach is definitely needed but I can't see it coming from Cameron & Co. tbh. All they will want is to get the Olympics passed off and profitable.

I can see this happening bigtime! :D

http://imgur.com/YER86

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

incorrect

They're not hanging any DJs.
    That'd be the only part of the looter manifesto I'd agree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Happyman42 wrote: »
    They have been window dressing for the last 20 years and a lot of the blame lies fairly and squarely with Labour. They have let their base down.
    A new and honest approach is definitely needed but I can't see it coming from Cameron & Co. tbh. All they will want is to get the Olympics passed off and profitable.

I can see this happening bigtime! :D

http://imgur.com/YER86

Tbh I don't think Miliband will make any difference either. Labour are just the Conservatives in Sheep's clothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Why did people steal Tesco-brand rice?

Because it was there.

Tesco-brand = there

I like it, Ilike it, I like what you did with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

As has beng mentioned by some in this thread ,the Anti-Hooligan / Vigilanties guys are around in some parts of London and if they have their way , they wont care what colour or creed any looter is or worry to much about kicking their ass .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

They're not hanging any DJs.
    That'd be the only part of the looter manifesto I'd agree with.

It's early doors yet.
    We should send Ray Foley over to be a sacrificial lamb as a token of our esteem to our british cousins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

What? Yeah, Thatcher, John Major and New Labour were big on left-wing solutions...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

one minute 40/50 cops being charged by 80/100 rioters they do not rush in and drop some of them to the ground continuing to stick it to them,

so my thinking on the situation is based on all i have seen since it started,

as in so much how the cops react to things being in their favor,

they have got the riot gear, they have got the batons, so 50 on 50 they should come out on top, but they would never get involved if the odds are not on their side.

but this will probably still be the wrong type of thinking.
    It may be because the police aren't idiots. The police are trying to subdue people and not kick the s**t out of them, and the safest way of doing that (for both sides) is when the police can control the situation. Charging into a crowd will do nothing except get a lot of people hurt and maybe killed (on both sides) and incite greater violence.

Additionally when all this is over they will still have to police these people and any actual brutality will be long remembered and will make there jobs much much harder.
    then i see 2 guys on bikes 10 cops and the cops charge taking the bikers to the ground and sticking it to them,

over use of force to me in that particular situation and i wont be able to see it any other way
    Admittedly that video did look a little bit over the top. But then any video showing a group of people out cycling and then being bowled over by police is going to look that way. I have no idea what context that take-down occurred in, what those people were doing before it happened or what harm was done to the rioters (though they did seem to be up and walking around after it). So no matter how you phrase it, I'm not going to start jumping to conclusions and start crying police brutality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Predalien wrote: »

What? Yeah, Thatcher, John Major and New Labour were big on left-wing solutions...

The solutions didn't change. Handouts, benefits, housing, softly softly policing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Happyman42 wrote: »

They've thrown money and resources at the problem for years. It hasn't worked. Do you propose doubling or tripling the money? Or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

On a different note, why is Cork one of the tags for this thread.

There are no riots going on down here, honest. This is just how it always looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Because there's expensive elctronic goods or other desirable items in them?

Or are you talkin about burning down the Sony distribution cnetre?

What solutions do you propose that haven't been tried before? Bear in mind the proposed solution has to be paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

recreational rioting is the new term of the month

I don't know was it just invented or was it around before and I'd never heard of it
    Either way, it's a ridiculous term

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

When it came to dealing with the poorest in society, they were very left-wing. All of Western Europe is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Eltham is apparently EDL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Just checked out the news there and all looks pretty quiet so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

no. i'll admit i don't know. it is too early to figure out. they will have to look at the psychology of looting and how it might be indicative of the beaten down lives and having an opportunity for once to access the things that you crave in society but you are deprived access to. they didn't steal basic requirements like food, or the major rich brands like gucci, they have gone after the jd sports and argus products. the ones that are shoved in their face everyday but they cannot attain because they are probably on low wages, if any, and have no means of getting credit

i know teachers here who have no way out either. but who is to say what sort of nutjob manages to end up in what job. its not the fact that hes a teacher thats disturbing, its the fact that hes 30 odd years old, slipped through the system, concealed his anger and is responsible for kids in his everyday life.

yeah like all of them committed that crime. and who knows what goes on in these situations. have a look at koreatown in la. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmsKGhLdZuQ&feature=related

sad that you can't differentiate between someone trying to discuss a matter openly and someone who would condone such disgusting events. i think that says an awful lot more about your poisoned mind that ever does mine
    When you have no answer then attempt to insult the poster. Typical civil liberties shyte again.

You can watch Sky News here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

They've thrown money and resources at the problem for years. It hasn't worked. Do you propose doubling or tripling the money? Or something else?

Money isn't going to be the ultimate solution. Involving all the stakeholders is the only way. And being prepared for it to take several generations as well. It is a complex complex problem and will take a lot of will and effort.
    Anything that involves subduing people by force will only blow up in your face I'm afraid and proof of that is all over the world.
    Today I saw somebody on another forum blowing his trumpet about how Namibian police deal with anybody who puts their heads above the parapet (savagely, by his account) but it had to be pointed out to him that the Namibian murder, rape, robbery rate is way (shockingly) ahead of anywhere else.
    Police force may provide some jack off material for the blood hungry but it won't solve anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

incorrect

I'd finally managed to stop humming that on tuesday morning...now it's back in my damn head.

Just in case you're serious, it was about R1 DJs long before they snapped out of Smashey n Nicey mode...not rave culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Yahew wrote: »
    Eltham is apparently EDL

Starting pelting stuff at a bus because a couple of black kids "gestured" at them. :rolleyes:

The EDL will cause more trouble than the rioters! A bunch of pissed-up nutters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

More Sangat vigilantism tonight hopefully!

Advertisement