Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

The British should have been more tolerant of football hooliganism..........that was a more controlled method of relieving post imperial boredom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

More Sangat vigilantism tonight hopefully!

Looks quiet in Brum at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭suspectdevice

When you have no answer then attempt to insult the poster. Typical civil liberties shyte again.

not at all. you made a misplaced assumption, it was pointed out to you and you now have nothing to say part from being abusive

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Yahew wrote: »
    Eltham is apparently EDL

They said that yesterday even though there were black people in the group walking around. I think its just those people who market themselves as "anti-facists" trying to stir ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Money isn't going to be the ultimate solution. Involving all the stakeholders is the only way. And being prepared for it to take several generations as well. It is a complex complex problem and will take a lot of will and effort.
    'Involving all the stakeholders' is a bit vague though. And do how do you get the scummers who were rioting to buy into something that is going to curtail their freedom and demand some input from them, when we've seen time and time again that these are things they are not willing to do?

I agree that a solution may take generations, but why persist on a course that you know may not work at all and you won't find out if it did for 100 years? Why not try something new?
    Anything that involves subduing people by force will only blow up in your face I'm afraid and proof of that is all over the world.
    Today I saw somebody on another forum blowing his trumpet about how Namibian police deal with anybody who puts their heads above the parapet (savagely, by his account) but it had to be pointed out to him that the Namibian murder, rape, robbery rate is way (shockingly) ahead of anywhere else.
    Police force may provide some jack off material for the blood hungry but it won't solve anything.

Agree 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Blaming the riots on 'cuts' was a typo, they forgot the letter 'n'.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

patff wrote: »
    The British should have been more tolerant of football hooliganism..........that was a more controlled method of relieving post imperial boredom.

Indeed, some on this thread think it's a new thing.

Look how violent streets are at night.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

'Involving all the stakeholders' is a bit vague though.
    We all know that there are right thinking people in these areas...you first of all LISTEN to them, then you empower them, you give them resources, whatever it takes.
    And do how do you get the scummers who were rioting to buy into something that is going to curtail their freedom and demand some input from them, when we've seen time and time again that these are things they are not willing to do?

That is the challenge, I can only see anarchy on a real and terrifying scale if that challenge is walked away from.
    Remember to some of us, the events of the last few nights are no surprise.

I agree that a solution may take generations, but why persist on a course that you know may not work at all and you won't find out if it did for 100 years? Why not try something new?

Such as?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

They have been window dressing for the last 20 years and a lot of the blame lies fairly and squarely with Labour. They have let their base down.
    A new and honest approach is definitely needed but I can't see it coming from Cameron & Co. tbh. All they will want is to get the Olympics passed off and profitable.

I can see this happening bigtime! :D

http://imgur.com/YER86

The Olympics isn't profitable, it costs a country hundreds of millions, possibly billions to host.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

you say too much too soon then. do you think it a political situation?

no way. its just pure coincidence that events happened up and down the country in the inner cities at the same time.

angry young people fed up with the boot on the back of their neck perhaps. they are organised and they are fearless. there is probably an element of opportunism in the looting but most of those protesting are not looting.

What boot on the back of whose neck ?
    If this was the case for the last few nights then the vast majority of the population of London, Manchester etc would have applauded.
    These people are actually being given the kid glove treatment for too long it seems and as such had too much freedom to commit crime. Listen to the decent local people in their areas who are being interviewed for a change and forget the civil liberties bull**** or maybe that does not suit your agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

According to the BBC, there's a possibility that some of the opening games of the Premiership in London may be cancelled.

Cripes. If that happens, there'll be a riot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

There was some lad saying that this was all about people getting back their taxes. How many of the looters are actually employed and pay tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Blaming the riots on 'cuts' was a typo, they forgot the letter 'n'.

Nuts? :D

There was some lad saying that this was all about people getting back their taxes. How many of the looters are actually employed and pay tax?

I don't know how many are employed, but I'm quite sure that all of them pay tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

According to the BBC, there's a possibility that some of the opening games of the Premiership in London may be cancelled.

Cripes. If that happens, there'll be a riot.
    The Landan boyz wont like that = serious football supporters , pissed off that scummers are hijacking their neighbourhoods and disrupting their way of life as they know it

We all know that there are right thinking people in these areas...you first of all LISTEN to them, then you empower them, you give them resources, whatever it takes.
    Of course there are, but what resources do you give them? To do what? Are you talking about loads of tennis courts? Computers? Cash? What do you see them doing?
    That is the challenge, I can only see anarchy on a real and terrifying scale if that challenge is walked away from.
    Remember to some of us, the events of the last few nights are no surprise.
    It's not a surprise, but it's a shock. But, as I've stated elsewhere, if the looters persist with this, the rest of society may take the gloves off and stop funding these scummers and meet force with force. They are - as you point out - a minority.
    Such as?
    I'd propose looking at ways to force the scummers to work for their money and homes, which would give them a challenge in life, and relieve the apparent pointlessness of their existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

foxinsox wrote: »
    Brave woman on BBC news now :)

She stood outside her hair salon last night and stood there while looters passed by.

She kept telling them they weren't going to wreck her business and they didn't.

Brave? Most certainly. Well advised? I'm not so sure.

Windows can be replaced. Stock can be replaced. Lives aren't so easily replaced and you have no idea of the sort of scum you are dealing with here. They place no value on genuine courage, or indeed on human life.

They have no values. My brother and I used to run a pub in Brixton, and, in this situation, we would most definitely have been inside the pub with hurleys (along with the Pakistani Muslim from next door who ran the shop).

Brixton's a strange place. He had a Hindu, a Sikh and a Christian working for him. Wouldn't be tolerated by Muslims in a more affluent area. He didn't give a shyte. He employed people who wouldn't steal from the till.

In Brixton, racism is a luxury of the rich and the "poor".

Btw, any posters heard anything from Brixton? Especially, top of the hill, leading into Streatham? The Telegraph (pub, not newspaper), The Hand-in-Hand, The Sultan etc.? Is everyone there ok? Only heard about Clapham.

Latchy wrote: »
    The Landan boyz wont like that = serious football supporters , pissed off that scummers are hijacking their neighbourhoods and disrupting their way of life as they know it

They should send in Roy Keane to break a few heads and legs.

I don't know how many are employed, but I'm quite sure that all of them pay tax.
    :confused:

They pay tax to the extent that the government hands them loads of money and homes, and they pay 20% odd of that back in VAT?

Paparazzo wrote: »
    The Olympics isn't profitable, it costs a country hundreds of millions, possibly billions to host.

I actually meant profitable to all the businesses involved in staging it in the above.

Ultimately the profit in the Olympics from a government point of view is the PR and onward tourist revenue though isn't it? Which would be relevant too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Brave? Most certainly. Well advised? I'm not so sure.

Oh I know.

She's lucky she wasn't attacked.

But I guess none of us know how we would react unless in the situation.

I can kind of see why she did it though, scary as hell though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Reading this thread has reminded me of this

Except the lunacy in the vid above is intended and has intelligence behind it.

:confused:

They pay tax to the extent that the government hands them loads of money and homes, and they pay 20% odd of that back in VAT?

I said they pay tax & they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

A lot of the young men are too young to be actually working.

Of course there are, but what resources do you give them? To do what? Are you talking about loads of tennis courts? Computers? Cash? What do you see them doing?

I'd propose looking at ways to force the scummers to work for their money and homes, which would give them a challenge in life, and relieve the apparent pointlessness of their existence.

No problems with that, the dangers are though 'the level of force'.
    But if it was seen to be led by their own, so to speak, it could be very effective.

The resources I am talking about are the facility and freedom to come up with ways to tackle the problems. All over the UK there are community led initiatives doing just that. The brains trust is there. Facilitate it.

And on that note I'm off for a pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

They should send in Roy Keane to break a few heads and legs.
    He would be red carded and sent off in the first few minutes .

I said they pay tax & they do.
    Yeah, they do - they pay back a fraction of the tax that is paid to them. I'm not sure what your point was though. :confused:
    I'm pretty sure that poster was suggesting that they are not contributors to the government revenue base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Things been pretty low key tonight then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

A start would be not cutting already under pressure police numbers.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement