Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

I don't think it's working...

These are the first serious riots in Britain since the 80s. Drop housing and benefits for this lot, and see how that improves things.

Exactly. Welfare was designed to keep people out of sight and out of mind. It's not working any more. New strategy needed and I reckon that if faced with losing their home and benefits, parents would make more of an effort to keep their kids in school and under control

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

These are the first serious riots in Britain since the 80s. Drop housing and benefits for this lot, and see how that improves things.

:confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Birmingham_race_riots

Only 6 years ago birmingham was a no go zone for 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Looks like the riots have spread to Scotland :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Get real will ya. The police should of being using heavy handed tactics from the first night. The only way these little scumbags will learn is when they take a beating. End of.

I think the police displayed the same mentality as the rioters in that video. Beat the shit out of him first and check later to see was he guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

to compare what happened in this video to other videos of the actual rioting and looting makes no sense,

if the guys on the bike were coming out of a store with merchandise, sure go get stuck in, if they were in a sizeable group creating terror, sure get stuck in,

if they were holding someone down on the ground and hitting them while empting their pockets, sure get stuck in.

The best way of delaing with this is to disperse groups before they gather in strength.
    Thus if police see a half dozen youths out you break them up and chase them home.
    How do you know what was going on on the ground ?
    Why were they out on the streets hanging around when there had been riots and looting ?
    Using your methods you wait for them to start causing trouble and looting before you go in.
    Great that for the poor bast***s who are the victims. :(
    Happyman42 wrote: »
    No I think that indulging in the politics of condemnation from over here in Ireland or on an Irish forum is ridiculous and pointless. I would rather discuss the reasons and the solutions that may be possible.

Nope you would rather condone their behaviour and trot out BS.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Are you denying that you used the term Chav in a pejorative and pernicious way? Have you used the term Scumbags in a similar way?

So now one cannot insult people who engage in riotous anti-social behaviour ?
    Perhaps the rioters can take anti-discrimination suits against the media for describing them in a poor light ? :rolleyes:
    I actually think you are now just highlighting how far some people have their heads up a certain bodily orifice that they defend scumbags from being called scumbags.
    Race is classification of humans into large and distinct populations or groups by factors such as heritable phenotypic characteristics or geographic ancestry, but also often influenced by and correlated with traits such as appearance, culture, ethnicity, and socio-economic status.

So socio economic status defines race now ? :rolleyes:
    BTW stop relying on wikipedia, it shows lack of ability.
    If Chav is a racist word then so is asshole, idiot, knobhead and any other insult you can think of.

Its a way to describe somebody's behaviour.

Careful now the PC brigade will be out to get you for discrimination.
    If this was Belfast they'd have sent in the TA by now.

TA my ass.
    It would be the real thing and watercannons/teargas/plastic bullets would have been used.
    If anything the British police have been soft on their approach so far.
    Check out riots in other countries and how they are dealth with.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

moco wrote: »
    http://somethingniceforashraf.tumblr.com/

This is for that injured boy who was robbed..dunno if it's already been posted.

As an English person, I feel absolutely sickened and ashamed by what has happened to Ashraf in my country. To echo David Cameron's statement yesterday, "When we see children as young as 13, looting and laughing, when we see the disgusting sight of an injured young man with people pretending to help him while they are robbing him, it is clear that there are things that are badly wrong in our society.".

It makes me sick to the stomach to think that *children* can behave this way to another human being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

As an English person, I feel absolutely sickened and ashamed by what has happened to Ashraf in my country.
    Every country has people like that. It's ironic that we have to feel embarrassed and ashamed on their behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

British Prime Minister David Cameron has said that the riots that took place across England were criminality pure and simple and that 'we will not allow a climate of fear to exist on our streets'.

He also said police will be given powers to order people to remove face masks.

Totally agree, but what is a mask? 3...2...1... on burquas

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Looks like the riots have spread to Scotland :(

Hmmmm. Looks exactly like a street in Birmingham, Manchester, and London. Same fella as well oddly.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

The guy on the bike who was brought down by the other hoodie making a run for it?

The second guy on the bike was not brought down. If you look at the video the cop is running for the first bike and the second bike cycles into him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

jmayo wrote: »
    Careful now the PC brigade will be out to get you for discrimination.

I did a quick search for brigade in this thread and there were 41 results.

It looks like we can no longer ignore the pressing need for a more varied palate of imbecilic tabloid terminology.

Seanbeag1 wrote: »
    The second guy on the bike was not brought down. If you look at the video the cop is running for the first bike and the second bike cycles into him.
    That guy wasn't a cop. The video is crap, but you can see he's dressed differently, and isn't wearing a helmet with a visor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

That guy wasn't a cop. The video is crap, but you can see he's dressed differently, and isn't wearing a helmet with a visor.

Oh yeah. Even funnier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

irish-stew wrote: »
    Hmmmm. Looks exactly like a street in Birmingham, Manchester, and London. Same fella as well oddly.

;)

I find that video gets less funny after seeing it for the tenth time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

Notice how the police officers pay absolutely no attention to law abiding members of the public walking along the left hand side of the street? Evidently it is not a case of police wanting to batter anybody they come across as many liberals would have you believe.

Clearly an intelligence led clobbering, and something they needed to do more of throughout London!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

moco wrote: »
    http://somethingniceforashraf.tumblr.com/

This is for that injured boy who was robbed..dunno if it's already been posted.

Total fu.ckin cringe. The guy got mugged while he was injured. Worse crimes are committed against much more vulnerable members of society (babies, the elderly) on an hourly basis. Should we set up a pay pal fund for them too?

The kid was from Malaysia over here to study. No doubt minted already.

(Not that I am condoning what the scumbags did or anything!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Total fu.ckin cringe. The guy got mugged while he was injured. Worse crimes are committed against much more vulnerable members of society (babies, the elderly) on an hourly basis. Should we set up a pay pal fund for them too?

The kid was from Malaysian over here to study. No doubt minted already.

That video pretty much has come to symbolize how cruel and callous the riots and rioters were. It shouldn't be much of a strectch to understand why people would want to do something nice for him if only to prove that their are good caring people out there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Total fu.ckin cringe. The guy got mugged while he was injured.

The kid was from Malaysian over here to study. No doubt minted already.

So what? He was in a strange country and was put in a horrific situation. This is a gesture to show him and any other immigrants that the British people deem what happens to their guests just as important as something that happens to their own citizens and that they don't want them to live in fear of attacks like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Couchcat

Apologies if this has already been posted but this made me smile

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8692712/Hackney-speech-woman-revealed-to-be-local-jazz-singer.html

I heard some of this woman's performances a few years ago and she'd pretty much gone under the radar in recent times. Only to emerge to tell the looters what's what.

That video pretty much has come to symbolize how cruel and callous the riots and rioters were. It shouldn't be much of a strectch to understand why people would want to do something nice for him if only to prove that their are good caring people out there too.
    So what? He was in a strange country and was put in a horrific situation. This is a gesture to show him and any other immigrants that the British people deem what happens to their guests just as important as something that happens to their own citizens and that they don't want them to live in fear of attacks like this.

You think peoples' opinion of what happened will change because some rich Malaysian kid got a couple of quid given to him?

What about the three asian men who were killed? Has any pay pal account been set up for them, to help cover the costs of the funeral etc??

• Advertisement

You think peoples' opinion of what happened will change because some rich Malaysian kid got a couple of quid given to him?

What about the three asian men who were killed? Has any pay pal account been set up for them, to help cover the costs of the funeral etc??

Rich? You must be joking. I had an Malaysian colleague a few years back who was working 3 jobs to put himself through Med school, only to have to continue to do the same for one of his 10 younger siblings when he started practicing. Then it would continue until all of them had educations and jobs. Their perseverance is incredible. Their equivalent earnings in Malaysia aren't a patch on Western Europe.

In any case, the fund was only set up to buy him a gift, extra proceeds were going to be put towards other worthy (if similar) causes. Same in the case of the fund set up to repair damage to Aaron Biber's shop. I think it's heart warming. If Irish people get a bit of snow they're scrapping eachother for salt for their driveways, nice to see our neighbours aren't as mé féin imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Notice how the police officers pay absolutely no attention to law abiding members of the public walking along the left hand side of the street? Evidently it is not a case of police wanting to batter anybody they come across as many liberals would have you believe.

Clearly an intelligence led clobbering, and something they needed to do more of throughout London!

Exactly. Next the Liberals will be saying they were old women on the bikes.
    Sad lot Liberals. If they can't prove it they will make it up.

Rich? You must be joking. I had an Malaysian colleague a few years back who was working 3 jobs to put himself through Med school, only to have to continue to do the same for one of his 10 younger siblings when he started practicing. Then it would continue until all of them had educations and jobs. Their perseverance is incredible. Their equivalent earnings in Malaysia aren't a patch on Western Europe.

In any case, the fund was only set up to buy him a gift, extra proceeds were going to be put towards other worthy (if similar) causes. Same in the case of the fund set up to repair damage to Aaron Biber's shop. I think it's heart warming. If Irish people get a bit of snow they're scrapping eachother for salt for their driveways, nice to see our neighbours aren't as mé féin imo.

So we should look to the English now on how to show caring and compassion to our fellow man?

The old man's barber shop was a run down premises. There was very little to actually damage and hence, very little to repair. He'll probably squander it all on coke and hookers, develop an addiction and end up worse off than before. And who are we to blame then ??!!:eek:

er, yes. There's a £10m fund to help those who have lost their homes, and cover costs of damage for the shopkeepers that are ruined etc. Im sure if they asked for help with the funeral they would get it.

And if people want to add to that through donations to specific people then what's the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

The kid was from Malaysia over here to study. No doubt minted already.

From what I've learned, his parents saved for years and borrowed money from people to gather enough to send Ashraf to London to study.

You don't have to donate anything if you don't want to. I'm just hoping enough money is raised to buy a flight for Ashraf's mother to come and visit him.

God forbid your own son were ever in Ashraf's position, thousands of miles away and you couldn't afford the flight to visit him in hospital.

Exactly. Next the Liberals will be saying they were old women on the bikes.
    Sad lot Liberals. If they can't prove it they will make it up.
    Let's not go down the idiotic American road of trying to turn 'liberal' into an insult. You can see the damage it has done to political discourse there. I'm a liberal, and I'm proposing that they reform social welfare so that they don't just hand out stuff to lazy people and expect nothing in return. Things are a bit more nuanced than 'libtards' versus 'Nazis' or whatever the equivalent insult is for conservatives.

So we should look to the English now on how to show caring and compassion to our fellow man?

I've met English people both in England and on my travels who've shown me more hospitality and compassion than Irish people (in some cases family and friends included).
    The old man's barber shop was a run down premises. There was very little to actually damage and hence, very little to repair. He'll probably squander it all on coke and hookers, develop an addiction and end up worse off than before. And who are we to blame then ??!!:eek:

Trying to imagine an 80 something year old man (barber) with a penchant for coke and hookers :D

From what I've learned, his parents saved for years and borrowed money from people to gather enough to send Ashraf to London to study.

You don't have to donate anything if you don't want to. I'm just hoping enough money is raised to buy a flight for Ashraf's mother to come and visit him.

God forbid your own son were ever in Ashraf's position, thousands of miles away and you couldn't afford the flight to visit him in hospital.

All I'm saying is there are people who have had their homes destroyed, livelihoods destroyed and some have had their family murdered.

Throwing money at a student who was mugged whilst bleeding is little solas to them.

I've met English people both in England and on my travels who've shown me more hospitality and compassion than Irish people (in some cases family and friends included).

Trying to imagine an 80 something year old man (barber) with a penchant for coke and hookers :D

You do know who Hugh Hefner is don't you?

• Advertisement

All I'm saying is there are people who have had their homes destroyed, livelihoods destroyed and some have had their family murdered.

Throwing money at a student who was mugged whilst bleeding is little solas to them.

What bit of my post saying "there's a £10m fund" did you not read? Cameron announced it at lunchtime

Edit: Sorry, it is £20m. Doesnt matter if, like some of the shopkeepers, you are not insured

Advertisement