Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

ebixa82 wrote: »
    You do know who Hugh Hefner is don't you?

I have an idea ;)

Didn't want to insinuate in case the thought police got me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

steve9859 wrote: »
    What bit of my post saying "there's a £10m fund" did you not read? Cameron announced it at lunchtime

I didn't read your post.

£10m is fu.ck all btw considering the amount of damage done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

All I'm saying is there are people who have had their homes destroyed, livelihoods destroyed and some have had their family murdered.

Throwing money at a student who was mugged whilst bleeding is little solas to them.

Small gesture , same as the policewoman who donated her winnings on Absolute radio this morning to a girl whose father shop was gutted in Tottenham.

these gestures are really annoying the cynic in me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

I didn't read your post.

£10m is fu.ck all btw considering the amount of damage done.

But its to cover the uninsured bits. Big buildings such as the furniture store that burned will be insured, as will any homes that burned down. This fund is to help those that lost things like uninsured stock etc who cant afford to re-build their livelihood. Like the Indian shopowner in Tottenham who lost €30k stock from his corner shop, and only had buildings insurance as the normal newsagent could not afford contents insurance. I'd say £20m would go a long way to help guys like that. Then add the 'feel good' donations that you were discussing earlier, and I think people will be looked after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭dilbert2

There were calls there two days ago in some circles to call the army in to restore the peace, any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

All I'm saying is there are people who have had their homes destroyed, livelihoods destroyed and some have had their family murdered.

Throwing money at a student who was mugged whilst bleeding is little solas to them.

Set up a fund for the people who's children got killed if you feel that strongly about it. In the meantime, I'll donate money to whatever cause I damn well like.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

... is little solas to them.

A little solas is better than a lot of dorchadas.
    It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do little - do what you can - Sydney Smith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

If we all went by your logic why would we ever donate to charity. Sure there's always someone worse off .

Its these kind of gestures like helping the student that remind us that despite all the scumbags and assholes we seem to hear about all the time there are still decent people out there who just want to do something good for their fellow man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Why does this have to become some sort of competition to see who has suffered the most? And how are people 'throwing money' at him, is a donation not a donation if you don't support the cause?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

dilbert2 wrote: »
    There were calls there two days ago in some circles to call the army in to restore the peace, any thoughts?

Some muppet MP, a real old fella, got up in the Parliamentary debate at lunchtime and started going on about the Vietnam war and how the American government deployed the army onto the streets of Washington DC to face the anti-war potesters. And that London should do the same.

Cameron very eloquently and politely told him to shut up and sit down!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DawnSeeker

Would love a riot here, the amount of free stuff some of these guys are getting from looting is outrageous.

Learning to cover the head with a hood and face with a cloth and to wear socks on our hands from skynews can only help us here in the future should it happen here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

DawnSeeker wrote: »
    Would love a riot here, the amount of free stuff some of these guys are getting from looting is outrageous.

Learning to cover the head with a hood and face with a cloth and to wear socks on our hands from skynews can only help us here in the future should it happen here

The gardai would smash your little head in, go for it though. But just remember, a hood and a face with a cloth and socks over your hands wont stop you getting ass-fùcked in prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

TheZohan wrote: »
    The gardai would smash your little head in, go for it though. But just remember, a hood and a face with a cloth and socks over your hands wont stop you getting ass-fùcked in prison.
    Leave him alone - he's a victim of society. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

DawnSeeker is a re-regged troll and won't be joining us again.

This is your hole: o

This is your hole in prison : O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

DawnSeeker wrote: »

Remember when hundreds of english football hooligans tried to take the piss ? Remember what happened to them ? The Gardaí went through them and literally knocked the shít out of every one of them. I think if you tried that here the guards would be the least of your worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Morlar wrote: »
    Remember when hundreds of english football hooligans tried to take the piss ? Remember what happened to them ? The Gardaí went through them and literally knocked the shít out of every one of them. I think if you tried that here the guards would be the least of your worries.

Unfortunatly these days, the Guards, the same as the Met probably have to satisfy a Health and Safety checklist as long as your arm before they can even raise their batons. Although thankfully they do have their moments where they just let rip.

Unfortunatly also the Met and other forces in the UK have came under huge investigation following their handling of previous protests and riots, that this time, I feel the excuss of depending on CCTV after the event may have been a cover to hide their reluctance to go in all guns blazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

so would you if you lived in a mind ghetto

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

dilbert2 wrote: »

Not by me

There were a lot of idiotic posts and calls for the army/guns/water cannons/tear gas etc.

Now the idiots in Westminster are calling for powers to make somebody take off a face mask .

Sorry to the best of my knowledge if you can't establish your identity to a constable, he/she can take you down to the station to help with his/her enquiries.

Enforce the laws of the land, before you add to them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Jake1 wrote: »
    This is your hole: *

This is your hole in prison : O

FYP :p

• Advertisement

• ebixa82 wrote: »
    Total fu.ckin cringe. The guy got mugged while he was injured. Worse crimes are committed against much more vulnerable members of society (babies, the elderly) on an hourly basis. Should we set up a pay pal fund for them too?

The kid was from Malaysia over here to study. No doubt minted already.

(Not that I am condoning what the scumbags did or anything!)

So just because we can't give charity to everyone who needs it, that means nobody should get it in your eyes? Do you think people should sit down and work out who has the biggest sob story before they donate a penny to anyone? Even the shopkeepers who lost everything are well off compared to the famine victims in Somalia, so why should we be giving them anything, using your logic?

Sure, some people might have it 'worse' than the Malaysian student. But getting beaten and mugged in a foreign country and having the video shown all over the world isn't exactly a great experience, is it? The organisers of the charity have already said that he can decide what to do with the money. It may well go to other victims of the riots.

I just find it incredibly sad that a kind gesture like this is criticized and moaned about. Complaining about charity is just meanspirited and crass, IMO.
    You think peoples' opinion of what happened will change because some rich Malaysian kid got a couple of quid given to him?

What about the three asian men who were killed? Has any pay pal account been set up for them, to help cover the costs of the funeral etc??

How much have you donated to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Jake1 wrote: »
    Just saw this on Twitter, nice gesture. Sometimes the best of people comes out in times like this.
    Its regarding the elderly man, whos Barber shop was looted.

http://keepaaroncutting.blogspot.com/

this is up to over 14 grand now. great to see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Morlar wrote: »

That was a different time. Back when the rights of victims were put ahead of those of criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Its going to be really interesting to see how the brits deal with the aftermath.

Creepy that I found myself cheering as I watched news coverage of a police raid on some scumbags council flat.

But I expect I'm not alone. And I was actually suprised. I expected some kind of reaction about how its "just kids being kids" and how they'll just get a slap on the wrist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭norris_minor

skeleton of society, morelike

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Clearly an intelligence led clobbering, and something they needed to do more of throughout London!

They'd been following the lads around with the helicopter, they knew who to hit. Though I saw Sky News in Manchester on Tuesday night one riot officer baton the only two people in the middle of the street who were not the thugs.

I don't think I've heard the word 'youth' so many times and in such a derogatory fashion than the past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I like the idea of denying council housing to those convicted.

Absolute insanity for tax payers to be paying to house those who are burning peoples houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

so would you if you lived in a mind ghetto

Still haven't googled it? :rolleyes:

I'm beginning to think that the best example of a 'ghetto of the mind' is certain sections of Boards.ie :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Have spent the day listening to various talk radio for here and the UK.
    It is gonna be fascinating to see how they get the genie (vigilantes, EDL, Sikhs etc etc) back in the bottle. Police will have to tread very carefully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭norris_minor

dfx- wrote: »
    Clearly an intelligence led clobbering, and something they needed to do more of throughout London!

They'd been following the lads around with the helicopter, they knew who to hit. Though I saw Sky News in Manchester on Tuesday night one riot officer baton the only two people in the middle of the street who were not the thugs.

I don't think I've heard the word 'youth' so many times and in such a derogatory fashion than the past few days.

the let me narrow it down for you. yoof culture. Same unshifting mass eyesore herbert scum for decades. rave and hippity hop, that's where the crims and snides hole up. i dunno it just.. attracts or breeds a new type of spineless muppet. seen cultures come and go; but this one.. Urgh. idiot niche.

Advertisement