Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Hip hop and RnB are the bad ones, techno a bit aswell but rave is OK, isn't it? All the computer nerds are into rave...
    Rave. Is this the early 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

mike65 wrote: »

Another rebel with an Aston Martin ?

Give her 13 months in the scrubs like that little prick Charlie Gilmour :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

That's not really the purpose of a teaching assistant.. but assuming it was, what would your alternative be?

When i was in secondary in the mid nineties we were segregated into three streams based on ability. People would be moved up and down based on how well they did throughout the year.

By the last year i was there this practice was done away with because a few parents of less than gifted kids got together and made a big hoo-haa and threatened to take legal action. So then we had to have class time divided between Ordinary and Higher stuff rather than just focusing on the one level and the teachers had to set up 2 hours after school of extra study for the people who wanted high marks.

It was all just a cluster**** because it gave the kids the idea that if you complain about something you can get it changed to suit you regardless of whether it's a sensible idea or not. It would have been some shock to a lot of them when they reached the do-or-die world of college/university which they may not have been able for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Rave. Is this the early 90s.

Well if I was going to a "rave" then I would expect to hear Orbital, Benassi Bros/ Benny Benassi, Kraftwerk, Underworld and the like. In a field powered by a generator or something like that. Actually that sounds like fun. That stuff was just before my time but think the hubby went to a few...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

When i was in secondary in the mid nineties we were segregated into three streams based on ability. People would be moved up and down based on how well they did throughout the year.

By the last year i was there this practice was done away with because a few parents of less than gifted kids got together and made a big hoo-haa and threatened to take legal action. So then we had to have class time divided between Ordinary and Higher stuff rather than just focusing on the one level and the teachers had to set up 2 hours after school of extra study for the people who wanted high marks.

It was all just a cluster**** because it gave the kids the idea that if you complain about something you can get it changed to suit you regardless of whether it's a sensible idea or not. It would have been some shock to a lot of them when they reached the do-or-die world of college/university which they may not have been able for.

My school was the same, classes separated into 3 tiers. I don't know what the situation in England is, but I would have thought that at least some schools track students abilities like that. It's up to the individual schools to decide which system to use anyway is it not?

Besides, there isn't that much evidence to suggest that streaming is beneficial overall. The OECD released a report a couple of years ago which recommend that schools limit streaming and tracking - http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/11/32/38787930.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

mike65 wrote: »

Send her back to whatever Afro-carribbean hellhole she came from, I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Is the rioting over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,065 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Is the rioting over?

Yes you can come out from under your bed now. You must be starving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

It's ignorant how your assuming that all the people involved in the rioting were asian! saying you would throw them on a rock Island and feed them rice. Most of the people involved were black and white!!!

I know the only asians most Irish people like are of the chinese and japanese and south east asians.

It's very ignorant of you to assume that you know what I was assuming.

My post had zero to do with race, in fact, race or colour was NOT mentioned anywhere in my post.

Just to clarify for you:

I was in fact assuming that people/readers may find the mention of Tesco brand rice mildly amusing, as several pictures have appeared of one looter proudly hugging his bag of Tesco brand rice.

I'm sure most people reading my post read it as an imaginary situation, as it is quite unlikely to happen in real life. One or two people may have even found it mildly amusing.

Please do not make ridiculous assumptions about me or what I have written in my posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

This thing never had anything to do with race, religion or class. It was about scumbaggery, pure and simple.

You get scumbags from all quarters, and all walks of life, and the one thing they have in common is selfish thuggery.
    Remember the mob of scumbags that kicked the guy to death outside Annabel's nightclub in Dublin ??

All white upper-middle class scumbags from Blackrock College don't you know...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Sorry sorry Sensibleken, I didn't realise you where still at school....mea cupla.
    Maybe a google search was asking too much. :rolleyes:

If there's any big words you don't understand in here, just ask. Found these after a quick google search. :rolleyes:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/9780470996928.ch3/summary

http://ideas.repec.org/a/bla/jorssa/v170y2007i2p405-424.html

discussed here

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/sustainable-cities/beyond-the-ghetto.pdf

You learn something new everyday eh??? (That's if you want to! :D)

see that wasnt so hard was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Just got back from London/Birmingham yesterday.

Pretty shocking stuff alright. All the violence, looting and rioting was nothing to do with what happened in Tottenham or the like. It was simply opportunistic scumbaggery by all races and social classes. Unemployed fathers of 9 and 3rd level middle class students alike.

Was just glad my sister was outta Brixton at the time. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Channel 4 news did a report on the effort to arrest the rioters. 820 arrested at the time they recorded the report, probably nearer 1000 by now, in an operation that the police expect to last a year to go through every second of footage! They can zoom into faces a hundred metres away or more. Basically if you had any weapon in your hand (a brick or anything) or went into a shop, or were carrying any looted stuff anywhere in the country you are getting caught. No way out. Quite incredible, and good to see. Loads of people denied bail already.

And the scumbags who killed the 2 brothers with their car in birmingham stopped to have a chat right in front of the petrol station's CCTV. D'oh! Police got one of them already

I guess it shows the good side of the 'big brother' CCTV network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Why are the faces of all those caught by the police not being shown on the news? Shouldn't they be named and shamed?? Only seems fair to me.

They are releasing them to the press on an ongoing basis, but I think there are social media sites that are listing the photos as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Just back from a week of work in London. A lot of the trouble was blown way out of proportion by the media.

Some of you might be glad to know that the fund started for Aaron Bieber, the elderly man, has raised over £18,000. :)

http://keepaaroncutting.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

steve9859 wrote: »
    Channel 4 news did a report on the effort to arrest the rioters. 820 arrested at the time they recorded the report, probably nearer 1000 by now, in an operation that the police expect to last a year to go through every second of footage! They can zoom into faces a hundred metres away or more. Basically if you had any weapon in your hand (a brick or anything) or went into a shop, or were carrying any looted stuff anywhere in the country you are getting caught. No way out. Quite incredible, and good to see. Loads of people denied bail already.

Yup. You would not believe what can we can do today with facial recognition software and enhancing photographs etc. If any of these people apply for a drivers licence or passport or any kind of official documentation that requires a photograph, they WILL be caught.

Now whether an out of context photograph is enough to get a conviction in court I dont know.

great to see the police are dragging these pieces of **** from their beds. Raids all over London, picking up the filth.

Quote from London Evening Standard

Police also revealed they have identified one of the two suspects who robbed Malaysian student Asyraf Haziq as he stood dazed and injured on the street.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Steve Kavanagh, who has led the Met's operation, said : "I have a message for him: 'We know who you are and we are coming for you'."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23977424-we-want-to-put-fear-in-hearts-of-the-looters-warn-police.do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 deepertheroots

See the police let sky news tag along during the house raids

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

stovelid wrote: »
    I did a quick search for brigade in this thread and there were 41 results.

It looks like we can no longer ignore the pressing need for a more varied palate of imbecilic tabloid terminology.

Much of it could have been fire brigade too. 50/50 I reckon.
    only rave themed festivals to see beck / primal scream / orb and the like..

Ah you've moved up a few notches in my estimation...but yet you continue with this nonsense about rave and it's devolved modern forms...once again, music is not the problem...primal scream and the orb at least influenced much of the stuff you'd slam these days. Just because the underclass chose to listen to that and hip hop etc, doesn't mean they're underclass because they listen to it, or that it's an influence on their action.
    I listen to all kinds of electronic music, a lot of hip hop and rap (except that commercial gangsta crap and the autotune chipmunk type rubbish) and apart from some drug use I've managed to avoid breaking any criminal law for my years on this planet.
    steve9859 wrote: »

Was just coming in to post about that Ch4 news report. I posted during this about people avoiding detection with hoodies and scarves...looks like I was wrong on that front to an extent. Still going to take an awful long time to round up all those crims and put them through court and jail (assuming there's space for em...

£200M for rioting damage alone...how much more to pay police overtime and all the work on prosecuting and detaining offenders? It's going to lead to more cuts somewhere down the line.

See the police let sky news tag along during the house raids
    Typical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Just back from a week of work in London. A lot of the trouble was blown way out of proportion by the media.

So we imagined that footage of scumbags breaking windows and robbing stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Typical.
    Makes sense: how many scummers will be deterred from looting tonight and in future, seeing the cops going into people's homes and taking them away?

Clever move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

I think it depends on where you stayed and worked in London...it is quite a big place you know..

A lot of people and businesses affected by the riot would quite disagree with you that it was blown out of proportion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Makes sense: how many scummers will be deterred from looting tonight and in future, seeing the cops going into people's homes and taking them away?

Clever move.

It's not about the scummers though...it's about reinstilling confidence in the police among the masses, just like any of those traffic cops show they run ad infinitum on sky; look it's all safe now, we're back in control.
    Police need some PR...murdoch's lot are only too happy to oblige.

9 billion on the olympics
    50 million royal wedding
    20,000 to loose jobs after government give train contract to siemens germany
    a government of millionaire public school boys telling the poor of the country to tighten there belts..
    gas, electricity, fuel, food prices rocketing upwards
    unemployment high,no pension provisions, wage cuts, wage freeze,longer working hours, working to older age, no future ,,,
    AND THEY STILL DONT KNOW WHY PEOPLE ARE PISSED OFF.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Of course they know why people are pissed off. Doesn't make it ok to do what they did.

FYI, there were plenty of professionals looting, as well as 3rd level students. They seemed to be there for the sheer craic.

AND THEY STILL DONT KNOW WHY PEOPLE ARE PISSED OFF

Not as pissed of as they'll be when the police bash down their door!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

You living under a rock?

They're pissed off because they only have one blackberry.

:mad:

Advertisement