Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

steve9859 wrote: »
    You have to be a right wing type, without a mind of your own, to support the looters getting arrested, do you??

Exactly my point.

No.

I said some

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Not been following the thread for a while so not sure what people thinking but I just wanted to say that the lady currently doing the press review on sky news is probably the smartest person I'v ever seen on their ....

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

Channel 4 +1 now (Sky Channel 136)

Interesting to see the level of Sh!te Riot Police have to put up with in the UK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

k.p.h wrote: »
    Not been following the thread for a while so not sure what people thinking but I just wanted to say that the lady currently doing the press review on sky news is probably the smartest person I'v ever seen on their ....

scarcastic? or serious? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

mossyc123 wrote: »
    Channel 4 +1 now (Sky Channel 136)

Interesting to see the level of Sh!te Riot Police have to put up with in the UK!

Its quite funny to see how many of those "Unite Against Fascism" protesters don't seem to be too interested in denouncing fascism. The deluded middle class students aside, they seem a bunch of angry islamists intent on denying the white British working class a voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

I actually agree with him. The press are singling out the few people who were professional/white/rich, but I don't think there's a lot of doubt that such people did not make up the majority of looters. You only had to see footage (or see it in real life, as I did) to notice that. The press are going out of their way to make it look like it was all races - I've lost count of how many times a news presenter or paper has stressed that a suspect is white. It's always 'look at the tall blond guy in the hoody' or 'he was attacked by a white male'. When a black person is involved, the colour of their skin is rarely mentioned. It's ridiculously over-PC and actually quite counterproductive. If they have to point out that someone is white, it means they're surprised they're not black.

Actually you could look at it this way...unlike the earlier purported claims that it was a race riot, youths of different races actually participated in the mayhem and should be held accountable for their actions.

Evidence indicates that youths (and adults) of different races looted and engaged in criminal activities in England during the impasse.

In respect to your last sentence, have you conversely looked at it from the point of view that some people are surprised that white people were actually involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Actually you could look at it this way...unlike the earlier purported claims that it was a race riot, youths of different races actually participated in the mayhem and should be held accountable for their actions.

Evidence indicates that youths (and adults) of different races looted and engaged in criminal activities in England during the impasse.

In respect to your last sentence, have you conversely looked at it from the point of view that some people are surprised that white people were actually involved?

To keep going over the same points is truly maddening..I guess that the problem with a 300 page rapidly growing thread..I have engaged in debates of a very similar nature over the last few days so lets agree to differ
    Anyway on a brighter note:confused: maybe we will be getting some new people into Dublin soon..could stimulate the economy !

http://ireland-living.blogspot.com/2011/08/uk-riots-more-people-thinking-of-moving.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Not sure if this has been posted but...

You know the way they have a new system whereby if 100,000 people sign a petition for a new law/propostion? Well, they have got the required amount of people to sign a petition for those found guilty of rioting to lose their Social Welfare.

Outstanding. So, that means that if the backbenchers in government decide to, it can be debated in the House of Commons.

I think that such a move should extend to anyone who gets a criminal conviction, even outside of the pararmeters of rioting. For serious convictions at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

kraggy wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted but...

You know the way they have a new system whereby if 100,000 people sign a petition for a new law/propostion? Well, they have got the required amount of people to sign a petition for those found guilty of rioting to lose their Social Welfare.

Outstanding. So, that means that if the backbenchers in government decide to, it can be debated in the House of Commons.

I think that such a move should extend to anyone who gets a criminal conviction, even outside of the pararmeters of rioting. For serious convictions at least.

Since when did the fascists get to join Boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Do you actually know what fascism is?

• Advertisement

Namlub wrote: »

Unfortunately I do, in all it's guises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Richard Mannington Bowes, 68, who was set upon as he tried to stamp out a fire
    during riots in Ealing, west London, has died, Scotland Yard has said

Source

R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

TheZohan wrote: »
    Source

R.I.P.

...and judging by some of the accompanying footage and CCTV, it's black faces that they want in connection with this. Poor old fella was trying to put out a fire and gets kicked to death? Animals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Wertz wrote: »

...and judging by some of the accompanying footage and CCTV, it's black faces that they want in connection with this. Poor old fella was trying to put out a fire and gets kicked to death? Animals

Who gives a flying f*#k what colour faces they had?

Jugde & categorise people by their actions, not their colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Is there riots tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

Samich wrote: »
    Is there riots tonight?

According to Sky, there is currently a 150resident tower block on fire in South London.....hasn't been confirmed if its related or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Namlub wrote: »

It's a 'pejorative term' used by people who think we should hug the likes of the scum who murdered Richard Mannington Bowes,
    instead of flaying the bastards alive.

Killinator wrote: »
    According to Sky, there is currently a 150resident tower block on fire in South London.....hasn't been confirmed if its related or not.

yeah, see that on sky.
    its just coming up on the flashing news banner. seriously, bbc and sky news are really lacking in live coverage. I know its most likely because the police told them to. To not "encourage" ...

but its a joke too. it IS a news channel after all.

Sky news latest:

A man in his 40s is in a critical condition after being rescued from the tower block flats follwing the fire. he appears to be suffering from smoke inhalation. They are claiming this fire does not appear to be apart of the riots at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

marcsignal wrote: »
    It's a 'pejorative term' used by people who think we should hug the likes of the scum who murdered Richard Mannington Bowes,

Ah here.

There's a vast and roomy grey area between "Rabble-Rabble-Rabble-Kill- 'em-all-Rabble-Rabble" and "Let's all give them kittens and cuddles until the problem goes away."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Who gives a flying f*#k what colour faces they had?

Jugde & categorise people by their actions, not their colour.
    People have been on here all evening that it's white faces on the media portrayals of those in court for rioting, looting etc... that this isnt racial...yet the first murder that pops up, the wanted faces are black.
    Merely pointing that out.
    NOT saying that because theyre black theyre animals or whatever it is you think i'm saying.

marcsignal wrote: »

Good grief...out of the mouths of babes! Somebody who wants to look at reasons (the real reasons) why that man died is not a fascist, somebody who wants to indiscriminately subdue and 'flay the bastards alive' has a real problem.

People die every day of the week because of the divide between rich and poor. It's sad that that poor man lost his life. But lets get real here, this has been a week of the 'reactionary'.
    To a lot of people this kind of reality is nothing new.
    You have just got caught up in a media frenzy for blood.
    Your solutions, however titilating they might be to type where redundant 100 years ago. Try standing above the tabloid and thinking for yourself.

NOT saying that because theyre black theyre animals or whatever it is you think i'm saying.

i wouldnt pay any attention to people on here man.
    If I posted a story about a man being beaten to death by a black man... i'd get replies implying, or blatantly suggesting i was a "racist" :rolleyes:

Best example I can think of on here is those gang of black people that beat up the DJ in temple bar. Last time I looked at it, it was over 40 pages ... all talking about "racism" - saying the same s*it over and over again. and not just a discussion... alot of implying and suggestions that other users were racist :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Good grief...out of the mouths of babes! Somebody who wants to look at reasons (the real reasons) why that man died is not a fascist, somebody who wants to indiscriminately subdue and 'flay the bastards alive' has a real problem.

People die every day of the week because of the divide between rich and poor. It's sad that that poor man lost his life. But lets get real here, this has been a week of the 'reactionary'.
    Your solutions, however titilating they might be to type where redundant 100 years ago. Try standing above the tabloid and thinking for yourself.

I think caught up in between a media frenzy for justice and what a creaking courts system can offer. In the case of murder, there is no excuse, and I think that plenty of judges/police/citizens would completely agree with throwing away the key, however the resources are lacking.

If you are posting on boards, congratulations, you were born into the elite of the world. If you receive benefits in the UK, thank your lucky stars you weren't born in Saharan Africa. However, don't destroy the world around you because you can't play Angry Birds on your Blackberry

Ah here.

There's a vast and roomy grey area between "Rabble-Rabble-Rabble-Kill- 'em-all-Rabble-Rabble" and "Let's all give them kittens and cuddles until the problem goes away."
    Happyman42 wrote: »

I was being Sarcastic and Facetious, but when I hear about innocent people trying to protect their homes, being murdered by marauding thugs, it makes me angry, and you expect me to have even an atoms worth of respect for them?? respect they wouldn't grive to a living soul, or a dead one either.

hugging has failed, time for a new approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Whoosh.

nothing's gone over my head, i know scumbaggery when i see it, and there is no excuse, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Rioting has spread to Edinburgh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW0356brnrE

...and manys a true word was said in jest :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

LighterGuy wrote: »
    i wouldnt pay any attention to people on here man.
    If I posted a story about a man being beaten to death by a black man... i'd get replies implying, or blatantly suggesting i was a "racist" :rolleyes:

Best example I can think of on here is those gang of black people that beat up the DJ in temple bar. Last time I looked at it, it was over 40 pages ... all talking about "racism" - saying the same s*it over and over again. and not just a discussion... alot of implying and suggestions that other users were racist :rolleyes:

If this board was 50 years ago then you wouldnt get any of that racism BS, its simply because people are sheep, most people get told what to think. They are too scared to stand out from the crowd.

Advertisement