Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options
1190191192193194196»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

davoxx wrote: »
    the judges are not there for revenge, they are there to be fair, if he can't keep his feelings out of this, he has failed to do his job and abused his position of power. he needs to be retrained so.

No. The judge did nothing wrong. Judges dont get to decide for themselves. There's specific guidelines for sentencing. The law is very clear.

He simply gave her the maximum sentence possible under the law for receiving stolen goods. Harsh? yes, it as harsh, she got the same sentence as some hardened criminal fence. But she appealed and got it reduced.

And the daily mail got a story.

the judges are not there for revenge...

Sure they are.

Society picks these people to hand out "punishments" on the naughty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

InTheTrees wrote: »
    No. The judge did nothing wrong. Judges dont get to decide for themselves. There's specific guidelines for sentencing. The law is very clear.

He simply gave her the maximum sentence possible under the law for receiving stolen goods. Harsh? yes, it as harsh, she got the same sentence as some hardened criminal fence. But she appealed and got it reduced.

And the daily mail got a story.
    judges DO decide. they have to follow guidelines, but they decide.
    the fact that it was reduced shows that he was wrong.
    InTheTrees wrote: »
    Sure they are.

Society picks these people to hand out "punishments" on the naughty.
    you're thinking of batman there ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

They're free anyway :D ?

It's a joke and obviously not a good one

Sonics2k wrote: »
    That's right. Making people's parents homeless is a great way to solve the problem and stop them taking their anger out on society.

You actually sound scared of them getting angry?

Yeah they get booted from their tax payer funded accommodation, and have to go and find somewhere to live like the rest of us.

And that probably will make them angry. And may even push them even further into the fringes of society. Or not. They'll have a whole wealth of choices they can make. And they can tell their friends about it too. And eventually word will get out.

And the brit tax payers can know that their tax money isnt paying the rent of the guy who burned the neighbours house down.

• Advertisement

judges DO decide. they have to follow guidelines, but they decide.
    the fact that it was reduced shows that he was wrong.

Ummm.

So it was within the guidelines then.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sonics2k wrote: »
    That's right. Making people's parents homeless is a great way to solve the problem and stop them taking their anger out on society.
    It's like:

Do you know where your* little bastard son/daughter is? If we caught them causing mayhem, you're getting kicked out of your house.

I'd say suddenly the parents will want to know where their brats are, and hope if they turn them in, they won't get kicked out.

Oh, and if my house got burnt to the ground I wouldn't be happy if I knew that the person who burnt it down was living in a house that my taxes helped fund...

*not you personally, you as in plural "you"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

More than 150 people caught after rioting swept across UK ‘were foreign nationals and will be deported’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2027973/More-150-people-caught-rioting-swept-UK-foreign-nationals-deported.html

• InTheTrees wrote: »
    Sounds reasonable. It was a little unfair and she appealed and got the sentence reduced. End of story.

The brit public want Revenge now. And they want to make sure the aftermath is remembered. The response to the looters has to be severe and be a future deterrent so the sentences are going to be as harsh as possible.

So Shorts-lady knew what she was doing was wrong, and people in similar circumstances in the future might just think twice before doing what she did.

I think it's ridiculous as well. The British police/judges have a habit of ignoring something for years and years and then suddenly going the other way and punishing anyone with any kind of involvement in it and predictably, that's what they're doing now.

I'm all for throwing the people who broke into shops, set things alight and attacked people into prison for a very long time. But giving people four years in prison for a couple of silly Facebook comments? For having a sip of the Lucozade your mate nicked from an already looted shop? That's pathetic. It's a complete overreaction and makes a mockery of the system. Give these people some community service, if you think a simple warning is too lenient. There's plenty of graffiti to be cleaned, dog sh1t to be picked up, elderly people who need their shopping done for them. Why can't they be forced to do something productive and useful for society instead of taking up a very expensive prison place? It's fairly clear that most of the people arrested for very minor crimes are just immature and didn't think, I don't see what good is going to come out of putting them in jail with murderers. If a case such as the Facebook comment one would have been laughed out of court a few months ago, there's no way they should be given prison time now just because people are feeling emotional and angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

More than 150 people caught after rioting swept across UK ‘were foreign nationals and will be deported’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2027973/More-150-people-caught-rioting-swept-UK-foreign-nationals-deported.html
    Trust the Daily Fail to play up a racial angle on what was definetely a local problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Amhran Nua wrote: »

Trust the Daily Fail to play up a racial angle on what was definetely a local problem.
    What do you want them to do? Not report a relevent news story? They even put it in perspective to the numbers arrested. This is why people like you are not taken seriously in the mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

What do you want them to do? Not report a relevent news story? They even put it in perspective to the numbers arrested. This is why people like you are not taken seriously in the mainstream.
    could the riots happen again, will these sentences handed down be a preventetive measure

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

For those that was reading my posts about my sister-in-law being caught up in the middle of the London riots, here is a scan of her speaking to a local news paper here in Ireland about them: http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7279/page3bx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Good to hear Biggins.

=-=

Was in Birmingham city the Monday after the riots, and the place was quite enough. There was people about, but after the shops closed, there was not many people about. What did strike me was the amount of wooden sheets on the windows with "OPEN" written on them. Hopefully the city can return to "normality" soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

What I find annoying is the fact they have flooded the streets ater the fact wth police

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

This is why people like you are not taken seriously in the mainstream.
    If you represent the mainstream buddy, I'm rather happy not to be taken seriously by you. The Fail is a complete rag, I wouldn't wipe my dog's arse with it, and I would most certainly suspect them of stirring up anti immigrant tension by printing that story.

Not that it takes much to stir up anti immigrant tension in the UK anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I wonder if similar unrest will occur here if the budgets cuts this year are too severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

CorkMan wrote: »
    I wonder if similar unrest will occur here if the budgets cuts this year are too severe.

Given how the cops in the UK have killed yet another young black person I think it will happen over their again real soon.

Advertisement