Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Never mind the fumes, you can see the neighbouring buildings smouldering... Its a huge fire and the whole neighbourhood could go up in flames.
    Yes, it's spreading alright. And so far only one rig!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Trouble in Leeds now !
    9.11pm: Leeds update from Martin Wainwright:

There was a tense situation in the Chapeltown area of Leeds where police were called after a man was shot and suffered facial injuries.

Up to 100 youths, some wearing masks, gathered in the area which has seen street violence in the past but has enjoyed a better reputation in the past decade.

The UK's second biggest Caribbean carnival is held in the local Potternewton Park on August bank holiday with a parade through the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

bob50 wrote: »
    They are rioting in Birmingham tonight. this could spread to other cities like Dublin i hope not but the scum on streets are into copy cutting

As much as I generally despise the Gardaí I will credit them with making sure that if things do get out of hand it goes the right way. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Telegraph sources: David Cameron is to return to Britain overnight.

Cobra meeting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

PM Cameron to return to London tonight ...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

nuxxx wrote: »
    Whats the "reason" for these attacks? I read someone was shot by the police a few days ago but don't know the circumstances
    Three days ago armed cops stopped a man in a taxi whom had an alleged illegal weapon.
    Some debate (under investigation) as to what happened next but the man with the illegal firearm, was shot dead.
    After that there was protests at the nearest police station to his area. That broke out into trouble then rioting, then stealing.

What happening now is assholes trying to be opportunistic and take advantage of the situation.
    Protesters? No.
    Just opportunistic assholes? Yes.

David Cameron: "situation out of control"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Uh oh - its just on the news that Dave "The Animal" Cameron is boarding a plane and is on his way back to sort out this trouble. Apparently hes going to be parachuted in somewhere over Peckham.

God help them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

RobitTV wrote: »

No shít, Cameron :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭norris_minor

it's also a joining forces of the two most degenerate forms of music ever concocted, computer generated rave and fronting hip hop breaking down the racial divide to form a type of neo-degenerate "urban" scene.

it makes no diefference if these youth are black or White. They're both, combined. both of either races' most dysfunctional yoof cultures, forming a type of neo-dysfunctional

Surely you should add in computer games in your analysis, maybe a film like the matrix as well

no I think that would be pushing it, besides none of the youth workers interviewed who know first hand mentioned those mediums whilst condemning the musical backdrop they socialize to. Youth tend to adopt their music culture of choice as the social medium to fit in, so after 20+ tiring years of watching the rise (and rise) of chavs I'd believe the black chav who turned his life around

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Wertz wrote: »
    Preemptively there is....this thing is gaining a momentum that is going to become harder to quell the longer it runs. Anyway I don't think they have the troops to mobilise on such short notice...for now they're having to make do with politicians telling everyone to go home and stop the messing.

The more I hear about tonight the more I think the army could be needed sooner rather than later. The police command are either unbelievably inept to let things get out of hand thus far and for now are doing little to quell it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

brummytom wrote: »
    +1 to both of these. There are so many rumours going round on facebook about Birmingham, apparently Primark has been burnt down; but BBC/Sky are reporting bugger all from here. It would be nice to know what's going on!

The only things I've seen are pictures here obviously taken a few hours ago.

They've probably been asked by the police to keep the discussion of the spread of trouble under wraps, to help the police contain the trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

Sand wrote: »
    Uh oh - its just on the news that Dave "The Animal" Cameron is boarding a plane and is on his way back to sort out this trouble. Apparently hes going to be parachuted in somewhere over Peckham.

God help them all.

Watch out scum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

mikemac wrote: »
    What's this?
    Is this some national security meeting?
    Yeah, highest level meeting there is AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

What's this?

Its the beer they'll be having with their vindaloo :)

What's this?

Cobra is the dramatic name for the civil contingencies committee which leads responses to national crises.

If a cobra meeting is happening the situation is very bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Croydon is like a bonfire. Jesus, how did they get that started. No one around trying to put it out either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Obviously a dumb blonde in disguise. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

In other news;

David Cameron: "Bears shit in wooded areas"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Cobra meeting

Finally things will be resolved

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTeZ_mlt6qdbnU-M8eNES3aJNe9u6YTJfCovmqFH3VhvRG0NpAo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

christ that is some fire in croydon, video on sky news, no sign of any firemen:eek:??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Another building going up!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

COBRA meeting room

lol.. sounds more menacing than it looks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

bob50 wrote: »
    They are rioting in Birmingham tonight. this could spread to other cities like Dublin i hope not but the scum on streets are into copy cutting

They could try, but I think what people are worried about (and what the looters are taking advantage of) is police spread too thin on the ground. Wouldn't necessarily be the case in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Sharp as a tack that lad. Displaying the acute awareness that got him elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

Oxford Circus next in an hour according to twitter

Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I know people living in croydon in her own words thier deystroying their own neighbourhood (thats cleaned up a lot). People are clashing with the police and fire officers are trying to get into the area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They have given up trying to put out the fire on that initial block in Croydon and are now just trying to stop the next street burning down as well. Not enough fire engines there to deal with it.

Advertisement