Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

Horrible scene in Hackney right now. Diane Abbot being interviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

Sooopie wrote: »
    Oxford Circus next in an hour according to twitter

Jesus
    Where are you getting that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

First thing the need to do when the bring the mob to court is scrap that in one door ,out the other side courtroom justice but apart from a few ,that's what will probably happen to most .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

This must be very organised. Those row of houses might just go up in flames.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I know people living in croydon in her own words thier deystroying their own neighbourhood (thats cleaned up a lot). People are clashing with the police and fire officers are trying to get into the area.

They know someone else with ultimately have to pick up the bill. Certainly aren't thinking about that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Obviously being from Birmingham, I'm more interested in that - as shocking as the situation in London is.

I've read repeatedly now riots have spread out of the city centre and into the inner city/inner suburbs. I'm not joking, I feel a bit sick. Birmingham's got a recent history of fatal riots - I'd be amazed if no one was hurt in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

budgemook wrote: »
    Where are you getting that?

Theres a list going around of targeted areas apparantely

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    They know someone else with ultimately have to pick up the bill. Certainly aren't thinking about that anyway.

They are too thick to realise where that someone else, that being the government, gets their money from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Sooopie wrote: »
    Theres a list going around of targeted areas apparantely

Link?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

posts are going up so fast in this thread that I barely have time to read them, nevermind comment on them!

Tanks! I said it earlier, and I shall say it again, bring in the TANKS! Perhaps Ive become a little too obsessed with this recently http://www.worldoftanks.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

They have already deystroyed several businesses and lively hoods I hope their happy with their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Only a matter of minutes before the buildings across from the one already on fire go up.. you can see them smouldering a little already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I reckon when the police are appealing to community leaders they might do worse than reach out to some of the established criminal figures in those areas - you can only imagine that drug dealing profits must be impacted by deserted streets, burning buildings and heavy police and media attention. Id say theyd have an interest in a return to normality and probably wouldnt be as squemish as the police when it comes to dealing with the ringleaders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Croydon is like a bonfire. Jesus, how did they get that started. No one around trying to put it out either.

Matches ;)

It's been a very dry summer in London too, so fires are going to spread quickly, especially with no tenders on the scene.

With all the burning, I neglected to notice the US markets are down by almost 6% on teh day. Bonfire of the billions...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

What does the situation have to get to to start firing rubber bullets? Surely anyone in full view to be causing this should be fair game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

KeithAFC wrote: »
    This must be very organised. Those row of houses might just go up in flames.

yes definately..but who? I am leaning towards an anti-immigration group..these are mostly black areas (brixton etc) ..will these places be rebuilt? esp as the world ecomony seems to tanking again ..Dow 5% today:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H0ExwPBbG0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

It's like the world is melting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

By all accounts the initial spark at the protest that kicked everything off was a rumour that a 16yr old girl got beaten by the cops.
    Its the biggest trouble I've seen since the Rodney King riots in LA.
    It's exciting to be watching live but I think it's only a matter of time before someone gets killed in one of those fires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

9.26pm: Peter Walker has more from Catford.
    I just watched an extraordinary scene in Catford, maybe half a mile from the main trouble. With the police occupied a small group of young men decided to kick down the door of a Halfords store, in full view of the busy South Circular road. As they tried and tried - the shutters were tough - a crowd formed, and cars stopped. One young woman leaned out of her car, laughing: "Satnav! I want a satnav!" she yelled at them.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/2011/aug/08/london-riots-third-night-live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Jaysus, that is a fire and a half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Some storeowner is probably going to shot some looters tonight who break in

Yet bizarrely, the shop-owner will probably be the one who gets jailed when these riots are over

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

4Sheets wrote: »
    yes definately..but who? I am leaning towards an anti-immigration group..these are mostly black areas (brixton etc) ..will these places be rebuilt? esp as the world ecomony seems to tanking again ..Dow 5% today:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H0ExwPBbG0

To be honest I would just go with the theory that their pure thugs using this as a chance to steal. Racial motives seem well above their cognitive abilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Sand wrote: »
    I reckon when the police are appealing to community leaders they might do worse than reach out to some of the established criminal figures in those areas - you can only imagine that drug dealing profits must be impacted by deserted streets, burning buildings and heavy police and media attention. Id say theyd have an interest in a return to normality and probably wouldnt be as squemish as the police when it comes to dealing with the ringleaders.

Because approaches like that have had a great track record :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

What does the situation have to get to to start firing rubber bullets? Surely anyone in full view to be causing this should be fair game?

They'll have to declare Martial Law before that. We'll only find out about that after this COBRA meeting tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

That place in Croydon has been going for well over half an hour that I know of with no-one near it and still no fire brigade near it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

The Met need to get off their asses and get access to twitter, facebook and text messaging services cut in the areas that riots are occurring. They need to start tear gassing, water cannoning and using baton rounds. They need to prepare the Army to come in too.

And they need to do this now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

They'll have to declare Martial Law before that. We'll only find out about that after this COBRA meeting tomorrow.

Didn't realise GB and NI law were so different. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It probably needs Cameron and the Cobra meeting tomorrow before they could authorise anything like that. Not sure that they could put the army on the streets even then without recalling parliament first. The army could be deployed for terrorist threats by Cobra I guess as they have turned up at the likes of Heathrow and Glasgow airports before, this doesn't come under the terrorist definition though so pretty sure they would need to pass something else before getting proper forces on the streets.

Advertisement