Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Sand wrote: »
    I reckon when the police are appealing to community leaders they might do worse than reach out to some of the established criminal figures in those areas - you can only imagine that drug dealing profits must be impacted by deserted streets, burning buildings and heavy police and media attention. Id say theyd have an interest in a return to normality and probably wouldnt be as squemish as the police when it comes to dealing with the ringleaders.

Profits will soar in the coming days when all that liberated shop stock is liquidated...that's if there's any pawn shops left to flog it to...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

amacachi wrote: »
    That place in Croydon has been going for well over half an hour that I know of with no-one near it and still no fire brigade near it.
    A rig did pull up about 15 minutes ago. you prob can't see it form above because of the smoke. In fairness, they are concentrating on stopping the nearby buildings from going up. no hope for the main store now.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Link?

I've no link to the supposed list - a few different tweeters have mentioned there is one going around though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

The Met need to get off their asses and get access to twitter, facebook and text messaging services cut in the areas that riots are occurring. They need to start tear gassing, water cannoning and using baton rounds. They need to prepare the Army to come in too.

And they need to do this now!
    Dude on BBC just after saying that's what's being done but that it's just saying every borough is being targeted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

That place in Croydon has been going for well over half an hour that I know of with no-one near it and still no fire brigade near it.

It's a lost cause. Clearly these pyromanics have worked out that furniture stores burn better than anything and are targeting them.

Also it an interesting choice because it's an isolated island block that wouldn't spread beyond itself. I wonder if that any factor in its choice as a target

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Seriously why hasnt the army being deployed? The police have lost total control and dont have the man power. Also the fire brigade dont have the resources the army has trained fire officers and the equipment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

In Hackney now, its appearing to maybe kick off again.
    The cops have responded with three helicopters now flying over head also.
    (Sister in law there is keep wife and I updated. She can't get her kids to sleep and one, the youngest is still upset)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

the morons on sky news are still going on about organised criminals going into these areas and starting it all :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The Met need to get off their asses and get access to twitter, facebook and text messaging services cut in the areas that riots are occurring. They need to start tear gassing, water cannoning and using baton rounds. They need to prepare the Army to come in too.

Should not have even be allowed to get this far by these mindless thugs , criminals , and brain dead hooligans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Man I sick of this met bashing..they said would be light showers and it pissed today..:mad::mad:
    If you frequent the weather forum you would :)

I agree the police more or less seem to either under-numbered,inoncompeting or just letting it happen..I told my mate at 3 o clock today to be watching sky news..It was predictable..Most of white UK will be voting BNP esp as they show CCTV..Thats my theory anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Cnn are having great coverage at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I think the police are not using water cannons, rubber bullets, dogs etc because theyve got kids wandering in and around the place. All it takes is a 11 year old taking a baton round to the face and the whole place will go up, with the police taking it from both sides - more rioting on the streets and being attacked by the "psycho right wing police death squads!!!!" brigade in the media.

Its both fairly patronising and pretty sad that police officers are on the TV telling people to start acting like parents with their kids. Id say a lot of these parents stopped having much control over their kids a few years back.

@R P McMurphy
    Because approaches like that have had a great track record

Sure, why not? Im not talking about some sort of grand bargain - just the police pointing out to the right people that business will be bad for as long as this rioting continues. So then the criminal "community leaders" who might be the only people the "yoof" are scared of - theyre not scared of the police, theyre not scared of their parents and theyre not scared of their youth outreach volunteers - have an interest in ensuring that things rapidly wind down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p39ULW_xzUE&feature=player_embedded
    :D

Just saw a police dog taking a big dump behind a reporter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

fire brigade there a good while now. In fairness those tv pictures a replayed over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Absurdum wrote: »
    the morons on sky news are still going on about organised criminals going into these areas and starting it all :rolleyes:

Aye, there's nothing that real criminals like more than cops everywhere :pac:

News on brummy now on bbc, for those interested.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Mr. Denton wrote: »
    It's a lost cause. Clearly these pyromanics have worked out that furniture stores burn better than anything and are targeting them.

Also it an interesting choice because it's an isolated island block that wouldn't spread beyond itself. I wonder if that any factor in its choice as a target
    Doubt they thought about that, but it's jumped across two streets now, although they have lost the live shots as the chopper moved elsewhere.
    Seriously why hasnt the army being deployed? The police have lost total control and dont have the man power. Also the fire brigade dont have the resources the army has trained fire officers and the equipment.
    Can't' be done, don't know the exact requirements but it is not easy to order the military to deploy against their own citizens. Now they could get their fire tenders out to help I guess, but that would be it for now.

Seems to be a more balanced and not OTT views from police ,politicians community members and ordinary members of public who are on the spot, on bbc news 24

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Fúck sake like, didn't we all criticise China and all the Middle East countries for doing this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

sky news are showing live report of lots of brown youths smashing up ladbrokes and trying to rip the TV off the wall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

robinph wrote: »
    It probably needs Cameron and the Cobra meeting tomorrow before they could authorise anything like that. Not sure that they could put the army on the streets even then without recalling parliament first. The army could be deployed for terrorist threats by Cobra I guess as they have turned up at the likes of Heathrow and Glasgow airports before, this doesn't come under the terrorist definition though so pretty sure they would need to pass something else before getting proper forces on the streets.

This delaying will cost them. That should have happened yesterday or today!

It has kicked off in Clapham now. Major looting, no sign of coppers. According to bbc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

sky news are showing live report of lots of brown youths smashing up ladbrokes and trying to rip the TV off the wall

FYP :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Looting a hairdressers? What's the point in that? It's not like you can steal a haircut.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Horrific scenes from Clapham. Law and Order has truly broken down. They really need to get the army on the streets an issue a curfew for the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Clapham High Street being looted now and no police around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Anyone see those lads trying to get that TV LOL. FFS.

There is not one single police officer in Clapham now while the high street is being looted but there is a police road block a few miles away ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

robinph wrote: »

Can't' be done, don't know the exact requirements but it is not easy to order the military to deploy against their own citizens.

What are you on about, look at NI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Extraordinary stuff watching the scum go unchecked.

Advertisement