Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Prop Joe wrote: »
    A scum of the earth drug dealer shoots at a police officer,Police kill the man,And these c*%ts riot..aghhhhhhh i fookin hate these cants

Seriously, +1. Unless I'm missing something, this riot is in support of someone who shot at and nearly killed a copper. wtf!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

iguana wrote: »
    Lots of the shots on Sky and the BBC are at the end of Bruce Grove, where the Winkworth estate agency is. The riots have gone further up the High Road than that as Iceland and Aldi have both been looted. And there are rumours that it's going on as far as Broadwater as that's where Duggan lived. I lived on Woodside Gardens, just off Bruce Grove, so if the rumours are true there is probably some trouble on my old street.

So glad I'm not there now, especially as my husband worked a lot of nights.

On twitter the guy is saying there are rumours they are heading towards the retail park, where is that? I used to live on the high road, among other places, but it was a long time ago!

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Seriously, +1. Unless I'm missing something, this riot is in support of someone who shot at and nearly killed a copper. wtf!?

Isn't that how it always works with protests, even when they are intended to be peaceful you will always get people who will see it as an opportunity to act out and cause mayhem. :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

chasm wrote: »
    On twitter the guy is saying there are rumours they are heading towards the retail park, where is that? I used to live on the high road, among other places, but it was a long time ago!

The one off Monument Way, the road from the High Road to Tottenham Hale. The retail park is across the road from the tube station there, it has a Lidl, Argos Extra, B&Q, Currys, etc. I'd say Curry's and the other home electrical stores are a big draw for the looters.

This is a photo of Aldi on the High Road.
    http://lockerz.com/s/127301537

Stupid fuçkers.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Cumulative effect of years of police brutality on working class areas. Doesn't really matter if the lad had a gun or not, this was a spark that was inevitable. Events like this will become more common as the world economic situation continues to deteriorate. I don't condone violence for violence's sake but I can't condemn working class kids for fighting the police.

• Advertisement

The one off Monument Way, the road from the High Road to Tottenham Hale. The retail park is across the road from the tube station there, it has a Lidl, Argos Extra, B&Q, Currys, etc. I'd say Curry's and the other home electrical stores are a big draw for the looters.

This is a photo of Aldi on the High Road.
    http://lockerz.com/s/127301537

Stupid fuçkers.:mad:

Thanks, i know monument way and the hale- was only looking at it on google maps recently to see what my local haunts were like, and it had changed a lot, but i suppose it was nearly (omg, i just counted!) 20 years ago!!!
    Was glad to see bbc got some really good facial shots of the rioters smashing one of the police cars, id say there is lots of cctv to capture these thugs on camera?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Bunch of scumbags and nothing more. Hope alot get caught and charged.

chasm wrote: »
    id say there is lots of cctv to capture these thugs on camera?

I'd say so. London is one of the most filmed places in the world in terms of CCTV. Some rumours on Twitter that there are residential houses being attacked. I wouldn't be surprised if some thugs are taking the "opportunity" to settle some scores with neighbours.

I found 'nam to be a very divided place with two very obvious communities. On one side there was a lot of people who were honestly just absolute scumbags and their hanger oners. And on the other there was a very tight-knit community of ordinary people who were lovely neighbours. Two sets of my neighbours had my spare keys and alarm codes, which is unheard of in London. We had a lovely community of dog walkers who'd meet at Bruce Castle at set times each day for a dog walk. Tbh, people rarely said it, but non-troublemakers stuck close together to provide support from the nastier elements.

And if the police are found to have killed that chap for no other reason than they tend to commit the odd racially motivated murder of a poor person then I hope the same happens to them too. These people aren't angry for the craic you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Good coverage on Nick Margerrisons radio show at the moment, getting some callers from the area.

http://ukrp.musicradio.com/lbc973/live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

live reports on LBC radio.looting,hoodie cyclists,outsiders joining in and spreading mayhem

I fail to see how burning down your own community and robbing shops and most probably scaring the life out of residents achieves anything.

live reports on LBC radio.looting,hoodie cyclists,outsiders joining in and spreading mayhem

yup, listening now, seems like the area is becoming a magnet for troublemakers.

Carpet Right store on the corner of the High Road and Landsdowne Rd, just before Whitehart Lane.

http://twitpic.com/625y4r

I hope there will be no fatalities tonight, but I really fear otherwise.:(

This is a photo of what the carpet shop used to look like. There are obviously a number of apartments above it. I really fuçking hope they were evacuated in time.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KlkGMJ5u5Our_gL5PwcoPA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    And if the police are found to have killed that chap for no other reason than they tend to commit the odd racially motivated murder of a poor person then I hope the same happens to them too. These people aren't angry for the craic you know.

...and if it's found he shot at the cops first, would it still be 'ok' to riot and destroy their own community?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

Seems to be major looting taking place in parts.

LBC" One police officer in hospital, several injured "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Is there coverage still on Sky/BBC??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

So let me get this right. The locals are gone nuts and rioting because the police shot and killed a chap who was shooting at them.

• Advertisement

...and if it's found he shot at the cops first, would it still be 'ok' to riot and destroy their own community?

Never said it was right but I won't condemn it. If you had police hassling you all the time I'm sure you'd feel aggrieved about it. It's been coming and it won't be the last time something like this happens.

PinkFly wrote: »

not live coverage, their crews had to pull out of the area after being attacked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

PinkFly wrote: »
    Yes, and according to one resident on BBC the riot started when the police attacked a woman who approached the original blockade.

Frankly I'll believe it when I see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

Theres a few people saying on twitter that it kicked off when a 16 year old girl was battened....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Never said it was right but I won't condemn it. If you had police hassling you all the time I'm sure you'd feel aggrieved about it. It's been coming and it won't be the last time something like this happens.
    Right. Being harrassed by police, what do you do? Burn down the neighbourhood. Great logic :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Carpet Right store on the corner of the High Road and Landsdowne Rd, just before Whitehart Lane.

http://twitpic.com/625y4r

I hope there will be no fatalities tonight, but I really fear otherwise.:(

This is a photo of what the carpet shop used to look like. There are obviously a number of apartments above it. I really fuçking hope they were evacuated in time.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KlkGMJ5u5Our_gL5PwcoPA
    Fine example of Art Deco architecture, shame on them. :mad:

jeez they are robbing the retail park in vans!! It does sound totally lawless now

Fine example of Art Deco architecture, shame on them. :mad:

I know, it's a nice looking building isn't it. Most of the high road is victorian, Tottenham didn't suffer too badly during the blitz, so architecturally it's very attractive. A few hundred yards from there is a Grade 1 listed Tudor castle, though only parts of the Tudor parts remain, it's lovely piece of historical architecture. It's currently a museum and the grounds are a public park with a 400 year old oak tree. I hope some rat bag doesn't decide to fire them. (I got married there.:()

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/bruce_castle_museum.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Aldi is now blazing.

• Advertisement

Aldi is now blazing.

Is that not from much earlier?

Advertisement