Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Kiith wrote: »
    We all know what the real cause of this violence is...computer games. Grand Theft Auto turned them into mindless thugs.

No this is what happens when kids can only play computer games for two hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

4Sheets wrote: »
    Everyone watching sky news Murdoch should be happy:)

I'm only not watching BBC News 24 because they're showing the general news show right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Mushy wrote: »
    Talking lad on Sky News who lost his business...5 generations of family owned it. Can barely speak.

Saw that too, since the 1800's...

Poor guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Biggins wrote: »
    If what you say is accurate, the police reacted to what they though was a weapon that could kill.
    I won't expect them to do anything less than seek to quell the then situation as quickly as possible.

I've no sympathy for the shot man. Ya carry a weapon like that, you get it re-made to fire bullets, you get what ye deserve.

I agree.

Whether it was "re-made" or was a replica - same thing!

If you carry a gun - expect the possibility of being shot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Lots of mobile phones taken, should be able to track the handsets down eventually by the IMEI numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Cobra meeting
    Gold Command

The Brits have some badass names :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

I am very surprised with the way the cops and the government work in Ireland that this sort of thing has not happened here yet,

but then to fookin lazy and subservient to even try to get a decent size peaceful protest going, (over 200k)

but it just might now in the wrong sense.
    The Gardaí and Irish Army are a lot more prepared than you might think.
    Dublin is a lot smaller than London for one.

Another, we have the added benefit of a wide arrange of riot trucks, tear gas, water cannon and years of expertise a mere hour's drive away.

I don't see it ever being let get anywhere near as bad as in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

irish-stew wrote: »
    This is getting scary. Now concerned for friends and family living in London. Although none of them living in the affected areas, the randomnise of it all is worrying.
    I'm more worried about people I know right now than I was after the London bombs and I lived in aldgate at the time. One just messaged from hackney saying she is packing and trying to think of somewhere to go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Kiera wrote: »
    Facebook page for Mark Duggan with people saying his family should have a press conference. I dont think these scumbags will listen to anyone at this stage.
    Nope - not a hope.
    I suspect they are doing (if they do) some PR damage limitation for their own cause, of wishing the exposing of ALL the details about their son's death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Someone posted a link to a streaming site for Sky News - could they post it again (I'm in Germany and with family in London - they seem OK, but would like to be able to follow it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Just was watching the ITV news.

So, the guy who got killed by police was carrying a weapon that originally could only fire blanks. But was "reactivated" (their words) so it could fire bullets ... however its reported it is incapable of firing the bullets that were found in a police radio the person accordingly shot at with said pistol.

So... stop me if I am wrong .... they shot this guy holding a replica/blank firing weapon. Then realise it was a replica gun. So stage a bullet going into a police radio.

If this is all true and accurate. That guy should NOT have been waving a replica/blank firing gun at police in the first place. And police reacted accordingly. I know that sounds harsh. But if you go waving something that looks like a legit weapon, let alone one thats been modified to re-fire live rounds... you're asking for bad things.

Yes, the police may have had grounds to fire, but even so. Tottenham, North London. Brixton, Peakham, SE London. Clapham, South London, Croydon, almost in Surrey, now unconfirmed reports of Sutton, also on the South London/Surrey boarder. None of these places have anything to do with what happened in Tottenham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Gonna be interesting to find out just what all is going on tonight. Reports of trouble all over the place but it seems it's only being reported on after the worst is over in general.

If the old media wonder why they're losing this is a very good example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Kensington wrote: »
    The Gardaí and Irish Army are a lot more prepared than you might think.
    Dublin is a lot smaller than London for one.

Another, we have the added benefit of a wide arrange of riot trucks, tear gas, water cannon and years of expertise a mere hour's drive away.

I don't see it ever being let get anywhere near as bad as in the UK.

If the scum in Belfast knew the riot trucks and water cannons were in Dublin they would definitely kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

4Sheets wrote: »
    Everyone watching sky news Murdoch should be happy:)

Im watching Aljazeera :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

budgemook wrote: »
    I'm more worried about people I know right now than I was after the London bombs and I lived in aldgate at the time. One just messaged from hackney saying she is packing and trying to think of somewhere to go.
    People will find it hard to get out.
    trains have been closed down, No buses, cars or taxis will enter the areas effected.
    You either walk and take a risk or stay indoors and hide till the morning at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

this is england

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Sky news reporting where there are no police. The rioters are probably planning to head there now! Fair play Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sky News on a loop for the last while

Come on Murdoch, get the helicopter fueled up and back in the air

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

baldbear wrote: »
    Sky news reporting where there are no police. The rioters are probably planning to head there now! Fair play Sky.

jesus thats so fcuking stupid am laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

Biggins wrote: »
    budgemook wrote: »
    People will find it hard to get out.
    trains have been closed down, No buses, cars or taxis will enter the areas effected.
    You either walk and take a risk or stay indoors and hide till the morning at least.
    Was the same then with the trains and but but at least it was safe to walk home that day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

irish-stew wrote: »
    Yes, the police may have had grounds to fire, but even so. Tottenham, North London. Brixton, Peakham, SE London. Clapham, South London, Croydon, almost in Surrey, now unconfirmed reports of Sutton, also on the South London/Surrey boarder. None of these places have anything to do with what happened in Tottenham.

Scumbags my good man.
    using this as an excuse to loot. But hey ask them and everyone one of them will say its a riot over that guy :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some sort of curfew will have to be declared but they can't do that until they can enforce it and that means plenty of armed police or Army.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well if the Police managed to contain the riots then theres no more "BREAKING NEWS" to report now, is there.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

Thinking the exact same myself, farrell is really sticking it to the met

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

The looters are not doing Mark Duggans' memory any favours by thieving in his name.

I hope it's not deemed racist to enquire why all the looters are African?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

SeaFields wrote: »
    Im watching Aljazeera :cool:

The Black Hawk helicopters are on their way, terrorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

amacachi wrote: »
    Gonna be interesting to find out just what all is going on tonight. Reports of trouble all over the place but it seems it's only being reported on after the worst is over in general.

If the old media wonder why they're losing this is a very good example.

Perhaps the old media are a bit more responsible ??

If they report it literally as it happens all that does is encourage nearby scumbags to join in and make it worse. There's every chance police are asking them not to report it until it has passed that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The person who had his shop deystroyed probraly served the rioter's familys throughout the years. Poverty doesnt explain it I grew up in a poor area but I was thought basic humanity!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

scopper wrote: »
    Someone posted a link to a streaming site for Sky News - could they post it again (I'm in Germany and with family in London - they seem OK, but would like to be able to follow it)
    Dont know if it'll work but try this http://news.sky.com/sky-news/app/liveTV/liveTv.html?lid=Live_TV_Popup&lpos=Right_Hand_Column

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It's pretty mental now. Scumbags doing scummy things.

Advertisement