Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

The Olympics is going to have a hell of a hard time to beat this.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

laugh wrote: »
    If the scum in Belfast knew the riot trucks and water cannons were in Dublin they would definitely kick off.
    They have quite a substantial stock of equipment, we would only need a few. Coupled with the gear we have down here any sort of kick-off I think could be pretty well managed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Kensington wrote: »
    The Gardaí and Irish Army are a lot more prepared than you might think.
    Dublin is a lot smaller than London for one.

Another, we have the added benefit of a wide arrange of riot trucks, tear gas, water cannon and years of expertise a mere hour's drive away.

I don't see it ever being let get anywhere near as bad as in the UK.

I agree, even with our small population Ireland is bigger than Dublin,

how well would they cope if it was wide spread (I know it may not happen but if it did?)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Just said now on news that firefighters wont go to calls because they are not protected by the police!!!
    Can't really blame them to be honest, i'm really shocked by all this, poor family talking about their shop burning, i felt like crying for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

The looters are not doing Mark Duggans' memory any favours by thieving in his name.

I hope it's not deemed racist to enquire why all the looters are African?

By all accounts of that man's life, it's quite a fitting tribute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Biggins wrote: »
    If what you say is accurate, the police reacted to what they though was a weapon that could kill.
    I won't expect them to do anything less than seek to quell the then situation as quickly as possible.

I've no sympathy for the shot man. Ya carry a weapon like that, you get it re-made to fire bullets, you get what ye deserve.

Like I said earlier the met will probably drip feed a diet of bullsh*t about the shooting as per the demenzies shooting. Believe nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

scopper wrote: »
    Someone posted a link to a streaming site for Sky News - could they post it again (I'm in Germany and with family in London - they seem OK, but would like to be able to follow it)

Why dont you just stream the live feed from the bbc. Search for bbc iplayer. There is a live feed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

F*cking imbecile. Great big dose of Fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

nuxxx wrote: »
    this is england

THIS IS SPARTA!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

baldbear wrote: »
    Sky news reporting where there are no police. The rioters are probably planning to head there now! Fair play Sky.
    While you have a point - I don't think the trouble makers are sitting at home tuned into sky at the mo'.
    I think they are too busy on the streets causing mayhem - but do you have a point.
    Sky reporters should be more careful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Kiera wrote: »
    Facebook page for Mark Duggan with people saying his family should have a press conference. I dont think these scumbags will listen to anyone at this stage.
    His brother to his credit said yesterday that the mob just hijacked this for their own crime agenda .

Police still thin on the ground in Clapham but they are to be seen a few blocks away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

Pretty upsetting alright, three generations just burned to the ground I think he said
    joes girls wrote: »
    Just said now on news that firefighters wont go to calls because they are not protected by the police!!!
    Can't really blame them to be honest, i'm really shocked by all this, poor family talking about their shop burning, i felt like crying for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Interesting insights and predictions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI2fJmr7GPI

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

The looters are not doing Mark Duggans' memory any favours by thieving in his name.

underprivaliged minority innit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Perhaps the old media are a bit more responsible ??

If they report it literally as it happens all that does is encourage nearby scumbags to join in and make it worse. There's every chance police are asking them not to report it until it has passed that area.

Yes and no. There's no "proper" reports of anything until it's too late. I know if it were happening here I'd like a headsup when the scum were heading to my area.

People will find it hard to get out.
    trains have been closed down, No buses, cars or taxis will enter the areas effected.
    You either walk and take a risk or stay indoors and hide till the morning at least.

Bloody hell, I never thought of that. That would be very scary.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Well done to the shopkeepers in Dalston who armed mostly with baseball bats are protecting their property and have charged down the scum that had just set fire to a restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I'd imagine most of them are English...unless you mean black, in which case I've seen some white looters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Wasn't he a gun toting gangsta, bruv?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Ah no! Newsnight just starting but Paxman isn't there. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Police woman on BBC West Midlands said that the police will not intervene looting, instead they will rely on CCTV footage to make arrests later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Bambi wrote: »
    If what you say is accurate, the police reacted to what they though was a weapon that could kill.
    I won't expect them to do anything less than seek to quell the then situation as quickly as possible.

I've no sympathy for the shot man. Ya carry a weapon like that, you get it re-made to fire bullets, you get what ye deserve.

Like I said earlier the met will probably drip feed a diet of bullsh*t about the shooting as per the demenzies shooting. Believe nothing.

Difference is that this time even the guys family admitted that 'he got up to a bit of stuff' and his partner isn't surprised that maybe he had a gun. ie. He's a drug dealer or something. He certainly wasnt whiter than white. So not like demenzies at all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Jake1 wrote: »
    Bloody hell, I never thought of that. That would be very scary.
    It is for the sister-in-law and her four kids.
    She's in that situation now - and she can't get the kids to sleep cos of the racket outside and three choppers flying over head.
    What a situation to be in the middle of - and she's far from being on her own!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Scumbags my good man.
    using this as an excuse to loot. But hey ask them and everyone one of them will say its a riot over that guy :rolleyes:

Thats exactly my point. Opertunist scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Are all the looters African? You must have access to some information I am not privy to...because I have seen a mix of different races looting in the video footages...

I dont think the loooters are 'thieving' in his name...they are just been scumbags...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Police woman on BBC West Midlands said that the police will not intervene looting, instead they will rely on CCTV footage to make arrests later.
    For fúck sake...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

steve9859 wrote: »
    Difference is that this time even the guys family admitted that 'he got up to a bit of stuff' and his partner isn't surprised that maybe he had a gun. ie. He's a drug dealer or something. He certainly wasnt whiter than white. So not like demenzies at all

Who Knows? Time will tell. Problem is that the met have a ****ty record for this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Missed the weather, did he say it was going to rain. A nice heavy thunderstorm would do wonders at stopping their desire to riot and feck about on the streets.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

Anyone not able to get the stream from the BBC due to not being in the UK can download the following program and they can easily hide their ip address, the bbc site then thinks you are in the UK. Ive used it a few times.

www.autohideip.com

I personally got it from thepiratebay, but I dont suggest anyone else do this as that would possibly be a breach of posting rules.

Advertisement