Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Nodin wrote: »
    They aren't......Of identiable races its been "white" "black" and "asian"(indian/pakistani etc). In one sense its been a wonderful display of community integration. fair enough its into an amorphous track suited mass of skangers, but there ye go.

Nicely put. I just hope their trackie bottoms are tucked into their white socks.

"Proper comfy innit bruv!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

foxinsox wrote: »
    Wonder why they can't have their Cobra meeting tonight?

Anyone?

Anyone?
    They are having their policing meetings but till the PM is actually there, its not officially classed as an official "Cobra meeting"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Anyone?

Anyone?
    They need the PM to chair.
    He's waiting for a flight back from his holiers at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

The kaiser chiefs Must be feeling pretty smug right about now....

The prophecy has come to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I think the guy on Sky News now is excited about whats going on.

Don't think he is.

Very good coverage from Sky and BBC news by the way.

And where would we be here without Sky News

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Anyone?

Anyone?

The Primeminister is not in the country yet

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

budgemook wrote: »
    I'm more worried about people I know right now than I was after the London bombs and I lived in aldgate at the time. One just messaged from hackney saying she is packing and trying to think of somewhere to go.

I lived in London during the 80's and 90's. You eventully became unphased by the IRA bomb threats, and when one did go off you moved on quickly.

I had a few friends and family that travelled and worked in the affected areas durring 7/7. And yes it was worrying. Now I know all my freinds and family are safe tonight, but its still on your mind.

I cant imagine how you and Biggins feel tonight. Those who are in the middle of it, its either try and ride it out, or get the fcuk out. Those who dont live in those areas, its still a case of dont go out if you dont have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Superbus wrote: »
    Cameron has to return from his holiday.

In Tuscany, don't you know.
    He's airbourne as we speak ...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Cameron should just send in the army.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Biggins wrote: »
    On a realistic side, that would mean more inquiries for every death or injury, more court cases, more costly funerals that the state would inevitably have to pay for, more medical bills for the state to cough up for, more court time tied up in compensation claims, etc...

...And thats only one aspect.

Yeah so the mob are going to be allowed to rob and burn as they please and mybe get caught afterwards if the police get good CCTV footage.

Sickening stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I think the guy on Sky News now is excited about whats going on.

Yes, for once there is actually something happening, as oppossed to very little happening and having to make it sound exciting. Its a bit of a holiday for them, in a sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Thanks folks..

I thought he was on a flight already..

Someone seriously needs to make a decision and do something asap/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

robinph wrote: »
    Nope, they can't.

More's the pity.:mad:

• It's eerily quiet here outside my house. All the shops and restaurants are boarded up. I was going to go to the gym earlier but it closed. Cinema is closed, everything. The whole thing is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Twitter is over capacity

Forget Twitter...AH is over capacity at the moment. The events in England seems to creating a lot of interest here at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

Kensington wrote: »
    They need the PM to chair.
    He's waiting for a flight back from his holiers at the moment.

are they sending a jet for him?

i should hope so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Sooopie wrote: »
    are they sending a jet for him?

i should hope so
    Don't know, probably quicker to just hop the next available flight to the UK in fairness. Doubt cost will be an issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

How many police are there in London? How big a riot squad do they have?
    Where the f*ck are they all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Don't think he is.

Very good coverage from Sky and BBC news by the way.

And where would we be here without Sky News
    BBC has been on the spot all night with no stupid quoting like '' we can't use watercannons '' syhte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Anyone?

Anyone?

With modern technology he could easily have video called into a crisis meeting hours ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Whats Camron gonna do?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Forget Twitter...AH is over capacity at the moment. The events in England seems to creating a lot of interest here at the moment...
    Maybe it's been blocked?

KINGVictor wrote: »

Well AH is really the UK section of boards.ie :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

The looters are not doing Mark Duggans' memory any favours by thieving in his name.

I hope it's not deemed racist to enquire why all the looters are African?

London has boroughs that are almost entirely devoid of white english. These areas are poor and despite getting tons of resources from the UK government they've not managed to pull themselves up by the bootstraps. They are part of the welfare class. These areas are crime ridden with youths regularly carrying knives and guns. Inbred criminality and a lack of respect for the country they don't really feel a part of are the root causes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Maybe it's been blocked?

Twitter is still working fine for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Latchy wrote: »
    BBC has been on the spot all night with no stupid quoting like '' we can't use watercannons '' syhte

They can't use watercannon because the London police don't have any... you can be sure though there are some coming from NI and possibly France at the moment. Well at least I hope so.

The looters are not doing Mark Duggans' memory any favours by thieving in his name.

I hope it's not deemed racist to enquire why all the looters are African?

Have you actually been watching the coverage? maybe my tv pictures are different but I have seen plenty of white faces.

This has clearly nothing to do with race.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Latchy wrote: »

Can't think of any reason they couldn't use water cannon, apart from they don't have any. Water cannon might actually not be that useful for this kind of event though, are they not better for aiming at a big mass of people? These are just small groups that would easily disappear before the cannon would be able to take aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Some lad after stealing some Tesco brand rice

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpmnsvWYTr1qbgy1do1_400.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

London has boroughs that are almost entirely devoid of white english. These areas are poor and despite getting tons of resources from the UK government they've not managed to pull themselves up by the bootstraps. They are part of the welfare class. These areas are crime ridden with youths regularly carrying knives and guns. Inbred criminality and a lack of respect for the country they don't really feel a part of are the root causes.

It also has similar buroughs with plenty of white english in them; as do other cities in Britain.
    Why do mention race as if it's the defining aspect of this?

Advertisement