Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I am really shocked by the extent of what's going on. Following it on Twitter and you can really see a lot that the news aren't picking up. It's genuinely frightening. Absolute lunacy...

I really hope it all ends soon. I think the government should be coming down heavily on people stirring **** up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

They can't use watercannon because the London police don't have any... you can be sure though there are some coming from NI and possibly France at the moment. Well at least I hope so.
    Even if they had them they couldn't use then because of the amount of kids and spectators mixed up with the mobs.

If this was in the States there would be Martial law, curfues and plenty of warning shots shots fired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

robinph wrote: »
    They don't know what the shop sells I guess. Probably also not aware that paper burns quite well.

i dont think hoodies can read (or write) to be bothered going in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

most seem black or non white to me, by and large.

stupid little fcuks, some are just 7. should all be deported to the holes they come from.

this could erupt across the uk now.

They're already in the holes they come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

I wonder if this same situation would be allowed happen in cities in the US?

I wonder how the cops there would respond.....let me think about that one for a SECOND.......................:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    I am really shocked by the extent of what's going on. Following it on Twitter and you can really see a lot that the news aren't picking up. It's genuinely frightening. Absolute lunacy...

I really hope it all ends soon. I think the government should be coming down heavily on people stirring **** up

Send in the ****ing army already.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Poor feckers who bought a tv today and carried it home will probably be getting arrested tomorrow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

It really shows you how powerful the internet is and how handy it is to get the message out and around. This is probably why it seems so organised and police being confused and going into areas and then trouble starting up somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Even if they had them they couldn't use then because of the amount of kids and spectators mixed up with the mobs.

If this was in the States there would be Martial law, curfues and plenty of warning shots shots fired.
    Course you can!
    "You have 15 minutes to clear this area."

Anyone who chooses to stay, it's fair game...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Such as?

Their stop, search and seizure powers are immense, not being allowed video police are two little examples. Their "Anti-terrorism" laws are very "open to interpretation" and if they wanted to they could deploy just about anything in London right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

ascanbe wrote: »
    It also has similar buroughs with plenty of white english in them; as do other cities in Britain.
    Why do mention race as if it's the defining aspect of this?

Watch the footage of the looters - they are almost all young black people.

The incident that sparked the riots, was the killing of an allegedly innocent black man. This is where the race aspect comes into it.

It is reminiscent of the Rodney King riots in L.A 15 years or so back, which were also triggered by white police officers targetting a black man. I don't believe it is in any way racist to see this as a racial issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

most seem black or non white to me, by and large.

stupid little fcuks, some are just 7. should all be deported to the holes they come from.

this could erupt across the uk now.

Deport them to where? These people are by and large, british citizens.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Even the idiots would be aware of what was going on if it was heard that PSNI kit was on it's way over, anyone still on the street by the time they arrive is a legitimate target.

It's only water after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Paparazzo wrote: »
    "Getting my taxes back" :rolleyes:
    That's the type of idiots you're dealing with

And if I was her boss, it'd be a P45 too. Dumb fool doesnt have a clue. Chemical castration could be of great use after this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Horgan wrote: »
    Haven't seen any live footage for over an hour! the ****

Yeah, getting boring watching the same building burning. If it wasn't for Mark Stones odd bit I would have switched off long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

The incident that sparked the riots, was the killing of an allegedly innocent black man. This is where the race aspect comes into it.

It is reminiscent of the Rodney King riots in L.A 15 years or so back, which were also triggered by white police officers targetting a black man. I don't believe it is in any way racist to see this as a racial issue.

Have seen plenty of white people also myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

Exactly, they should have been on BBC and Sky News at 7.00 saying there's a 9.00 curfew, and anyone caught out on the streets after 9.00 will get their head clobbered.

That would have sorted the wheat from the chaff pretty quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Hedman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

National Guard would be on the way with shoot-on-sight orders for looters, never mind warning shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

The Telegraph's Josie Ensor reports she was chased by a gang of 30 men who pelted her with stones near Bethnal Green station, East London. She escaped down a side street. A gang of vandals broke the windows of an Islamic bank in Whitechapel but were chased off by a rival gang of 100 Muslim youths who are standing guard outside the East London Mosque. Local shops have been attacked.

Poor woman hope shes ok :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Sooopie wrote: »
    400 asian men ran 150 scumbags out of their area according to a source on twitter -

this pleases me if true

from the telegraph live feed:

22.50 Earlier tonight Turkish and Kurdish shopowners in the Stoke Newington area of North London were guarding their premises with baseball bats. There are reports now of "hundreds" of young turkish men chasing a group of young black men down nearby Kingsland Road, Hackney.

just saw this on a link, hope its not true.

itv_news ITV News
    by BreakingNews
    Reports that a man has been shot in the head and killed in Croydon tonight. #londonriots #croydon
    8 minutes ago

steve9859 wrote: »

22.50 Earlier tonight Turkish and Kurdish shopowners in the Stoke Newington area of North London were guarding their premises with baseball bats. There are reports now of "hundreds" of young turkish men chasing a group of young black men down nearby Kingsland Road, Hackney.

this would be funny if not so tragic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Jake1 wrote: »
    just saw this on a link, hope its not true.

itv_news ITV News
    by BreakingNews
    Reports that a man has been shot in the head and killed in Croydon tonight. #londonriots #croydon
    8 minutes ago
    Seriously? This is really mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Sky have a black presenter tonite?Is she a regular?Every image I watch has a majority of black people ..now this could well be sky or youtube...there could be a huge backlash against immigration in the UK..?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

muslims defending a mosque,that could get very nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

amacachi wrote: »
    Their stop, search and seizure powers are immense, not being allowed video police are two little examples. Their "Anti-terrorism" laws are very "open to interpretation" and if they wanted to they could deploy just about anything in London right now.

Nothing wrong with them per se imo, though yes they are open to abuse.

If anything they have been a little soft. Take the negative reaction and failure to introduce racial profiling at UK airports. Always amazed me that my mum always seemed to get searched at airport security while I never did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Reports of a police-dog kicked and stabbed to death coming through.

"It's because i'm underpriviliged, innit?"

Cut every bit of "social" spending for these ****ing scum. We need bodies piling up in the street, not welfares states. This is what you get in return for giving people handouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

indeed, Operation Trident isn't after Eton heads....
    Hedman wrote: »

not UK road signs :confused:

edit: they're tram signs :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

steve9859 wrote: »

Fair play to them. I hope they cracked a few skulls too.

Advertisement