Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Jake1 wrote: »
    just saw this on a link, hope its not true.

itv_news ITV News
    by BreakingNews
    Reports that a man has been shot in the head and killed in Croydon tonight. #londonriots #croydon
    8 minutes ago

BBC has that as happening in Leeds.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-14449656

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Absurdum wrote: »

Link not working, what was it of?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

Can't see how an already overcrowded courts/prison system will deal with the so-called prosecutions that will be coming from the cctv evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

I don't deny that, I just give my opinion on why its mostly black british that are engaged in the looting. Even from the photos of Croydon, a primarily white town, it appears that most of those participating are black

Well, i've been watching news most of the evening and have seen plenty of whites, mix-raced and entirely covered rioters.
    But that's not the point. The point is the attempt of some here to imply that because, in their view, the rioters are black, this is the main aspect of this and that it reflects on all black people.
    I'm white and i don't feel that i'm responsible for those who rioted in Northern Ireland recently or in the countless other riots that have occured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

4Sheets wrote: »
    Sky have a black presenter tonite?Is she a regular?Every image I watch has a majority of black people ..now this could well be sky or youtube...there could be a huge backlash against immigration in the UK..?

Yes she is and I have also seen plenty of white people, as for backlash against immigration, Jesus wept, you obviously don't know Londoners very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with them per se imo, though yes they are open to abuse.

If anything they have been a little soft. Take the negative reaction and failure to introduce racial profiling at UK airports. Always amazed me that my mum always seemed to get searched at airport security while I never did.

I think they go a little too far but it's the opportunity for abuse that's the worst. As I said I just can't understand why they haven't made use of them so far unless it's part of some attempt to allow them to use them in future without and backlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Jake1 wrote: »
    just saw this on a link, hope its not true.

itv_news ITV News
    by BreakingNews
    Reports that a man has been shot in the head and killed in Croydon tonight. #londonriots #croydon
    8 minutes ago

Probably a gang fued. Its only a matter of time before all these people turn on each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

Superbus wrote: »
    Link not working, what was it of?

A 48 inch tall kid nicking a 48 inch tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,954 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Sky have a black presenter tonite?Is she a regular?Every image I watch has a majority of black people ..now this could well be sky or youtube...there could be a huge backlash against immigration in the UK..?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

RT @David_Ritter: Just because rioters do not have political aims does not mean the causes of the riots do not lie in politics. #londonriots

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

BREAKING NEWS:

BBC News: disorder has spread to Woolwich High Street, East London, with mobile phone shops being looted by gangs of youths and police cars set alight. BBC Producer Richard Fenton-Smith said: "They were around the shop like flies. I saw one boy with a loud-hailer calling to his friends, trying to organise them."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Mr. Denton wrote: »
    Fair play to them. I hope they cracked a few skulls too.

sometimes you need to take the law into your own hand for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Reports of a police-dog kicked and stabbed to death coming through.

That's it. Send the army in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

People talking about seeing a lot of black people, I think 31% are from an ethnic background in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I blame flat screen tv's. If we still had the old fashioned tube ones, they'd be too heavy and the looters wouldn't bother their arse.

amacachi wrote: »
    I think they go a little too far but it's the opportunity for abuse that's the worst. As I said I just can't understand why they haven't made use of them so far unless it's part of some attempt to allow them to use them in future without and backlash.

Fair enough, I disagree with you though. Police sadly in a no win situation, look at past disturbances, they are attacked whatever they do, whether it be for reaction too hard or not hard enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

IvySlayer wrote: »
    People talking about seeing a lot of black people, I think 31% are from an ethnic background.

Certainly more than 1 in 3 involved in the looting from the pix I'm watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Nah, she was rioting and decided to bring into Sky's studio and present the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

k.p.h wrote: »
    RT @David_Ritter: Just because rioters do not have political aims does not mean the causes of the riots do not lie in politics. #londonriots
    Really? I ain't being funny when i say this and i will probably get shot down on here for this but a number of these people looting could be just normal people, never involved in a crime before but when you see lots of other people doing it and coming out of shops with all sorts of brilliant stuff, you probably would think of going in and picking something up.

There seems to be no police stopping them. So people are going to just do it. Even if they have never been involved in crime before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

This is just madness!

23.07: Croydon Guardian reporters Peter Truman and Hannah Williams were at the House of Reeves just minutes before it went. Peter tells the story.

The black smoke plumed into the sky just metres from the buildng we stood near only minutes ago. As I near the scene I see a gang of more than a hundred youths in hoodies and masks doing as they please.

A double decker bus is engulfed in flames in Old Palace Road while youths smash windows in nearby stores in Church Street and run off with anything they can grab.

Fearing for my safety I look around for a policeman but they are nowhere to be seen. For the past hour we have seen an organised operation from gangs of youths using phones to discuss the latest hit and tales of evading police.

As they walk past they are getting messages telling where to reconvene and where to target.

We flee the scene as they start to torch other buildings and head to the nearby Argos.

The alarm blares out into the night after another gang had raided the building and made off with DVD players, MP3 players and Satnavs.

Two off-duty officers tried to tackle the yobs, but after a successful first attempt had to flee when a new group charged the store.

All around us was lawlessness with no sign of it abating and the ever-growing cloud of smoke as Reeves Corner burned into the night.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Football matches are now postponed.

Will that cause more rioting?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Reports of a police-dog kicked and stabbed to death coming through.

"It's because i'm underpriviliged, innit?"

Cut every bit of "social" spending for these ****ing scum. We need bodies piling up in the street, not welfares states. This is what you get in return for giving people handouts.

Pricks if its true. Dont just cut their welfare, stick a bullet through their head please

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Fair enough, I disagree with you though. Police sadly in a no win situation, look at past disturbances, they are attacked whatever they do, whether it be for reaction too hard or not hard enough.

It's not even that, the cops are helpless right now...any clashes with police tonight and in the future are purely for distraction while looting happens elsewhere. They can't do a ****ing thing and the more helpless they appear the more people will start to riot and loot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

most seem black or non white to me, by and large.

stupid little fcuks, some are just 7. should all be deported to the holes they come from.

this could erupt across the uk now.

Agreed, the pale ones are standing around watching.
    If it reaches Liverpool and they get on the boats, we're screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

The army will need to be called in before long. This will keep escalating for a while. It is very easy to see police officers or people being killed because of this.

I can understand what is happening. Its seems to me a knee-jerk reaction to everything that has happened with the banks in the past number of years. People are annoyed as fcuk having to suffer for things that are not their responsibility. Lack of money and jobs will will eventually wear people down.

Football matches in the london area Cancelled

Mass looting going on across london and rioting continues

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

People talking about seeing a lot of black people, I think 31% are from an ethnic background in London.

I would of thought 100% come from an ethnic backround ;)

• Advertisement

AH reaction imo ;), pretty mixed crowd, irrespective of that they are Londoners, trouble has nothing to do with race.

Advertisement