Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Nick on LBC radio asks if such mayhem occurs elsewhere.Yes,on a lesser scale in Limerick suburbs:Bin burning,the occasional house and stolen car burning-it's how local youths[well dressed in latest sports gear] express and entertain themselves on a not irregular basis

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Daemos wrote: »
    Right. Being harrassed by police, what do you do? Burn down the neighbourhood. Great logic :rolleyes:

Where does logic come into it?

I'd agree with LeixlipRed pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Show Time wrote: »
    So let me get this right. The locals are gone nuts and rioting because the police shot and killed a chap who was shooting at them.

Maybe, maybe not. I always found the local police fine but the Met has a history of killing people through heavy handedness and then coving it up with blatant lies. Jean Charles de Menezes and Ian Tomlinson in the last few years. So even if they are 100% on the level about what happened to Mark Duggan it's not surprising that his friends, family and others believe otherwise. It's not surprising that there was a protest this evening.

However most people involved in this riot don't give a shít about Duggan. They just want a smash up. How exactly is setting fire to a German discount supermarket, that their mothers' probably rely on or stealing a telly from Currys going to make the police confess to an unlawful killing or make them stop oppressing them? It's not, it will only make things worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

dfx- wrote: »
    Where does logic come into it?
    My point exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

It's the student protests all over again. The few scumbags just looking for an excuse going around the place trashing everything. I can believe this started out as an innocent protest but before you know it pack mentality took over as a couple of people who wanted a conflict started throwing bottles at the police cars, as BBC claims, then the next thing you know, they're burning down buildings. It's this sh*t that gets nothing done.
    How can you take this kind of protest seriously :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Some Met commander talking about the "tragic" death the other day, looking forward to plenty of leaks about this case.

To be perfectly honest though I'm finding the non-stop coverage of this pretty funny compared to things that go on in NI that only get a mention once in a while or a once-a-year condemnation of a particularly bad night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

LBC- Police commander on air now " 8 Police officers in Hospital, though injuries at this time are thought not to be serious"

OPENROAD wrote: »
    LBC- Police commander on air now " 8 Police officers in Hospital, though injuries at this time are thought not to be serious"

6 months off for a bad back is what I'd be looking for within a few minutes of getting there. :pac:

amacachi wrote: »
    Some Met commander talking about the "tragic" death the other day, looking forward to plenty of leaks about this case.

To be perfectly honest though I'm finding the non-stop coverage of this pretty funny compared to things that go on in NI that only get a mention once in a while or a once-a-year condemnation of a particularly bad night.

On the news or here in AH?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Scenes on the BBC showing the post office on the High Road on fire.:mad: Also seen photos on flickr of a burning barricade of skip bins at the end of my old street.:mad::mad::mad:

Right, I'm going to take advantage of the fact that I don't actually live there any more and can safely go to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Dangerous place, that Tott-ing-ham

On the news or here in AH?

On TV mostly. It has picked up I'll admit but earlier there wasn't too much to talk about and it was being very hyped up.
    I also wonder why they haven't sent the army in yet, seemed to work in other areas...

Have to say I'm pretty disappointed with the lack of helicopter-mounted cameras in the UK.

On TV mostly. It has picked up I'll admit but earlier there wasn't too much to talk about and it was being very hyped up.
    I also wonder why they haven't sent the army in yet, seemed to work in other areas...

Happening in London ,the capital city, would be the reason for the coverage, seems to have been picked up round the world going by Google.

Wouldn't be serious enough for the army in fairness,seems to be confined to one small area, the Police will have stacks of cctv evidence which will be acted on over the coming days.

Happening in London ,the capital city, would be the reason for the coverage, seems to have been picked up round the world going by Google.
    Who says the BBC is too London-centric? :pac:
    Wouldn't be serious enough for the army in fairness,seems to be confined to one small area, the Police will have stacks of cctv evidence which will be acted on over the coming days.
    As I said, they've been happy to send in the Army to smaller disturbances elsewhere. ;)

EDIT: With the amount of CCTV in that area I'd say there'll be some amount of harddrives getting smashed up over the next few days. :pac:

Who says the BBC is too London-centric? :pac:

As I said, they've been happy to send in the Army to smaller disturbances elsewhere. ;)

lol, in fairness they have covered other riots in England in the past similarly i.e. Oldham

Not sure where you are referring to re the army, but possibly that would be based on the potential for things in given areas to escalate seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Up in Derry they just call it a bogside BBQ.Big load of **** talk over somthing that happens not a million miles from your front door.:rolleyes:

lol, in fairness they have covered other riots in England in the past similarly i.e. Oldham

Not sure where you are referring to re the army, but possibly that would be based on the potential for things in given areas to escalate seriously.

Was the Oldfam stuff waffled about so much? Have to admit I was paying attention but it didn't seem as constant.

I'm referring to a place that isn't on the UK's mainland, though now they seem to not even send in the police depending on who the instigators are.

Was the Oldfam stuff waffled about so much? Have to admit I was paying attention but it didn't seem as constant.

I'm referring to a place that isn't on the UK's mainland, though now they seem to not even send in the police depending on who the instigators are.

Oldham had huge coverage from what I can remember.

Still looting going on in the Wood Green area from kids according to a min-cab driver talking on LBC now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Media don't seem to be reporting woodgreen looting, would that be to try and contain the situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

How do these scum bags get away with this. They should have put the army on the street and shot a few of them. They don't deserve much more tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Just saw this on the news this morning..

Jaysus - the state of the place..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Its happened here to in Dublin 1995

Mr. M. McDowell asked the Minister for Justice the way in which the gardaí handled the Hallowe'en riots in Gallanstown, Ballyfermot, Dublin 10, on 31 October 1995; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [16488/95]

Minister for Justice (Mrs. Owen) Nora Owen

Minister for Justice (Mrs. Owen): A serious disturbance occurred in the Gallanstown-Cherry Orchard area of Ballyfermot on the evening of 31 October 1995. From approximately 7.30 p.m., the gardaí became the target of a concerted and premeditated plan to immobilise them, ram vehicles and cause injury. Reinforcements were drafted in and an operation was conducted to restore order in the area. Order was restored by 11.00 p.m. Sixteen arrests were made and the following items recovered: 72 milk bottles, one of which was primed as a petrol bomb, 14 lengths of spiked planks of timber and four stolen cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭mecanoman

Looks like Ali G and he's massive, wanted to go get themselves some new trainers and Plasma/HDTV's. A quik visit to the local flats should be able to sort that out.

Mark who got shot! Oh yeah, him, plus they got to throw rocks/petrol bombs at the Police. Bit of a laugh for them.

Really hope the Police nail the lot of the scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Locals riot after beloved local drug dealer gets shot for shooting at police.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Lirange

They're still looting this morning in Wood Green. No police in sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

He must have sold some good gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I love the way so many people can make up their minds regarding the facts of this case so quickly with damn all evidence to go on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Lirange wrote: »
    They're still looting this morning in Wood Green. No police in sight.
    Plenty of police about but just that you don't see them.

In the coming days doors will be kicked in and plenty of arrests made and rightly so.

Advertisement