Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭positron

CiaranMT wrote: »
    WHERE ARE THE F*CKING PARENTS?

I've asked that very same question many times over here in Ireland too - the scums hanging around outside estates/shops causing trouble - everytime someone tells me 'ah they are just kids', I want to show them what their 'kids' are capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

CorkMan wrote: »
    Glad my thread has so many views :D

Well at least someone appreciates the rioters work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I don't believe anyone is saying these riots reflect the views of all black people at all. Only the mindless few, who feel they are somehow doing a great service to the memory of the murdered man involved.

However, it is naive to say there is no racial aspect to this at all. Would you say the same about the Rodney King riots? Again, those riots were carried out by a largely African American contingent too?

Totally disagree, if it was a case that it was only black people involved you could possibly make an argument, but it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

So much better than Sky News, Al Jazeera Link

The scenes are absolutely shocking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

foxinsox wrote: »
    I've seen that Ladbrokes TV so much now...

I'd nearly hand them a screwdriver at this stage! :p
    I want to know the make of the fixture that holding it.
    Now THATS a fixture that would be well recommended! :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I wonder are they gonna take a trip down to Buckingham Palace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Me too, but what can they do? You can't arrest and move 300 people. If they move against them in one place the rioters and looters just break up, run, regroup and then hit somewhere else.

This is some Vietnam ****.

Horses and batons.
    Even if it just moves things along each time the numbers will fall step-by-step.
    Even if it just prevents fires and looting in a few how is that not better than letting it continue with prosecutions supposedly coming later?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Can't do that, many people have mobiles not landlines. How are residents supposed to contact emergency services etc?

Emergency services are not responding anyway. To cut the land lines would be considered an essential service, but I don't think they have mobile networks classed as essential. Useful yes, but very unreliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

amacachi wrote: »
    What's going on now could easily be called "terrorism" in the UK and the army could be deployed immediately.

In the heat of the moment perhaps, but fortunately most Western democratic countries know to hold to the proper definition. What we have are large riots and looting. Not terrorism. Hence police and no army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I'm pretty certain that the sight of the army cracking skulls and probably killing people would have a very detrimental effect on the situation. I'd love to see these ***** getting nuked but let's not get carried away. It's not total chaos and anarchy across the UK, it's because there are a zillion people tweeting, texting, taking pics, videos, etc. that makes it seem worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

alie wrote: »
    There are queues of looters outside shops!

Only in Britain will you get a queue of looters. They're so polite. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Fair play to the lads looting the fancy suit stores, at least they will not be wearing trackies and trainers for their court appearances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Absurdum wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with it. You think these people get angry watching Bloomberg??

I completely agree with Queen Mise on this one. These people may not be watching Bloomberg but the stories on Bloomberg seep down to the lowest classes in society. These are people who have no money and no way to progress out of their situation. Why would these young people aim to go to college when there is no point. They cant afford it and the cuts are severely limiting college options. Why would they look for work when there is no work to be gotten? Their situation is hopeless and i think that the Duggan issue lit the touchpaper really.
    What is happening now is brazen criminality and should be condemned. But there are forces driving this and simply saying "scumbags" is ignoring the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

just on twitter breaking into london zoo letting out animals now,

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

alie wrote: »
    There are queues of looters outside shops!

"OI mate, there better be that 52' LCD TV I had dibs on in there!"

"Sorry Tommy , its already in the van, how about this nice kettle? "

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

CiaranMT wrote: »
    WHERE ARE THE F*CKING PARENTS?

Scum breeds scum.

Even moreso when the state sponsors it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

ItsAWindUp wrote: »

I would imagine Prince Phillip would have a few first choice words for them before he picks them all off with his rifle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Nation 98

And these are basically the same working class lads that are hailed as heroes for bombing and murdering hundreds of people when they're fighting wars in foreign countries. Yet they break a few windows and set a few buildings on fire and they're barbarians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

The problem is so much is happening and the police is really stretched, that people are now taking part in fantasies like letting lions out of a zoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

paconnors wrote: »

Oh.. I'd love to see them try get near the cuddly lions and tigers! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

scopper wrote: »
    In the heat of the moment perhaps, but fortunately most Western democratic countries know to hold to the proper definition. What we have are large riots and looting. Not terrorism. Hence police and no army.

I assume the UK only does so on the mainland then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

They say that every society is only three meals away from revolution. Deprive a culture of food for three meals, and you'll have anarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭bnt

You plonkers have got it all wrong, right? I mean, this is just the start of the Olympic Torch procession, innit? Like, you put the fire in my hand, damn right I'm gonna use it! Booyakasha!

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

paconnors wrote: »

Surely this is a joke?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

They say that every society is only three meals away from revolution. Deprive a culture of food for three meals, and you'll have anarchy.

In that case let's pray that KFC stays open.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭positron

Nation 98 wrote: »
    And these are basically the same working class lads that are hailed as heroes for bombing and murdering hundreds of people when they're fighting wars in foreign countries. Yet they break a few windows and set a few buildings on fire and they're barbarians.

Oh my effing god! /facepalm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

amacachi wrote: »
    I assume the UK only does so on the mainland then.

Em, yes. Exactly. Now you are getting it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    You can be sure on the remoteness of that happening, the army would be called out to protect them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Nation 98 wrote: »

AHAHAAHAH.

No. These are the non-working class leeches who've only "worked" over the past couple of nights smashing in shop windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

I completely agree with Queen Mise on this one. These people may not be watching Bloomberg but the stories on Bloomberg seep down to the lowest classes in society. These are people who have no money and no way to progress out of their situation. Why would these young people aim to go to college when there is no point. They cant afford it and the cuts are severely limiting college options. Why would they look for work when there is no work to be gotten? Their situation is hopeless and i think that the Duggan issue lit the touchpaper really.
    What is happening now is brazen criminality and should be condemned. But there are forces driving this and simply saying "scumbags" is ignoring the problem.

Fair play I think you are spot on their. Easy just to condemn from your couch on here.

Advertisement